From Q to Saga?

Discussion in 'Samsung Saga' started by stryker412, Jan 15, 2009.

1. astrocramp

astrocramp New Member

It's because the alternative of using a stylus or nav-mode is much much worse than mouse mode. I'm saying i prefer using a real d-pad like on the Q.

[My opinion: Ebay = Internet Version of Garage Sale...buying other people's junk]
    I'd go even farther and say it's like putting your money on red or black in Vegas...ya gotta be ok with losing your money.
  2. pgreenbe305

pgreenbe305 New Member

Easy question regarding Saga with regards to Wi-Fi

The only reason I want Wi-Fi on my phone is because when I go overseas, I'd prefer to keep the radio off (since, I don't want to take calls) and just check email, in case there is something important I need to address.

My question is: If I turn the radio off, and only use Wi-Fi, can I access my IMAP accounts and the internet? Or, maybe I should ask- does Wi-Fi act just like the EV-DO when it comes to internet, email, etc?

Thanks! As soon as I know, I'll go out and buy it.
  3. EQBob

EQBob New Member

I did a test for you.

Assumption: By radio, you mean phone??

If so, I turned off the phone portion, which would include the broadband access, and turned on Wi-Fi. I was successfully connected to my email accounts that I poll, internet browsing, etc.

I then turned off Wi-Fi and re-enabled phone usage. Clicking on an email started the broadband accesss notification that comes up, a second later, it connected, and I was on-line again.

In other words, it was seamless.

That's all assuming that by radio, you meant phone/broadband cellular.

I hope this was helpful.

EQBob
  4. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

of course! wifi...evdo...dial up..equals internet!
  5. pgreenbe305

pgreenbe305 New Member

EQBob- thanks! Yes, by radio I meant "EVDO via cell tower"... I figured it would, but wasn't sure if there was some goofy limitation on polling for email in WinMo, that wouldn't allow the Pocket Outlook to use Wi-fi for email. Thanks again... unless something revolutionary gets announced by March 10th, I'll be going with this phone!
  6. EQBob

EQBob New Member

No problem. Glad I could help. If you're on Verizon and doing the new evey 2 deal, you can actually redeem that 2 months early, so if your contract is up March 10, you should be able to get your new every 2 starting Jan 10.

EQBob
  7. pgreenbe305

pgreenbe305 New Member

And still get the full $100 credit?

Thanks again EQB...
  8. sherri

sherri Active Member

Yep. My actual contract date is March, 2009, but I am able to get the $100.00 credit now...
  9. motionD

motionD New Member

Thanks for info rudeboy, is there a huge learning curve from wm to BB, can you do most of the samethings on BB as WM?

Thx.
  10. stryker412

stryker412 New Member

Thanks Bob all of that was very helpful. For my uses, here is how I typically use it.

- Calls (a few here and there but mostly texts)
    - Data (use my exchange server at work, heavy web usage, and occasional streaming video)
    - Video (I tend to turn on video once in awhile like waiting for my wife or at a doctor's office)

I love the original Q but some of the bigger issues are getting to me (freezing, slow response). Will the Saga have customized themes like the Q? I have a great theme on mine now where the clock is really large (Eko's Moto theme).

I run TCMP v.72RC1, will that work?
  11. EQBob

EQBob New Member

I haven't played around much with the whole themes stuff on the Saga. Presumably it's even more "skinnable" than the Q because it's PocketPC rather than Smartphone version. There are, from what I know, a significant amount of Today screen plugins... I'm sure there are great listings out there for things that are similar to Eko's papers, but I just haven't had the time or inclination yet to go find them. I actually like the default Samsung theme with a small background color mod.

I have a dual clock on mine, Central and Eastern time, digital, white on black. You can also do one large, digital or analog.

I could not get v.72 to work. I purchased CMP and after that didn't work either, found the setting for video buried 975 pages deep in the app, changed it to Direct Draw, and voila, it all worked. So I didn't go back to TCMP and see if they have the same setting. Might be worth checking first.

EQBob
  12. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

i found the learning curve much more easy then i actually had expected.. pretty much everything you would do on a Q you can do on a BB, the thing that is (for the time) limited is customization, but to me that is #2.. i prefer functionality :}
  13. stryker412

stryker412 New Member

How would you rate the performance (launching/running of programs) compared to the Q?
  14. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

speed wise ? seldom do i see the waiting icon, so i would say it's plenty quick :}
  15. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

my brother is on his 3rd storm

-Sent from my Q9n
  16. stryker412

stryker412 New Member

I was referring to the Saga, can we leave the Storm talk out?
  17. EQBob

EQBob New Member

In my opinion, the Saga is faster than the Q, but that's to be expected, since there's a 2+ year difference in hardware, a major OS diff, etc.

Besides, in all of this stuff, you're talking seconds, max. A typical user spends more time walking to the bathroom than they'd gain back from the soeed diff of apps starting on a different phone. You know...that whole forest<-->trees thing.:2cool:

EQBob
  18. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

knock if off with the Storm talk..

:}
  19. astrocramp

astrocramp New Member

how do you setup a dual clock? I spent the last 5 minutes browsing around and couldn't find that setting. Everytime I add a clock they are at the same time, and nowhere in the time settings do i see a dual clock. That would be a nice feature actually...
  20. EQBob

EQBob New Member

Take mouse and click and hold on today screen are where clock is. You'll get an options submenu. Highlight and click. On that screen is the clock type and the setting for a dual clock. Note that not all clock types allow dual clock, like analog.

To actually set clock, go to Settings, Clock and Alarms and set your zones. You can set a home and a visiting. Your visting will show up as the second clock--whatever zone you set it to.

And yes, it would be nice if those features were linked so one GUI gave you all the choices. Windows, in any iteration, all the way back to 2.x when I started with it, has always suffered from this. (yes, I'm old(er) and I have grey hair).

There are many "hidden" options on the today screen that you only find by clicking and holding in a particular area, or on a tab, like Connection, Favorites, Settings, etc. Wish I could find out how to add a new tab.

EQBob