Free Turn by Turn directions from Bing

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by jkurgan, May 12, 2010.

1. jkurgan

jkurgan New Member

2. mking8288

mking8288 Member

It sort of work when I tried it earlier this evening. I downloaded it into the older Q8 global/gsm just to get a touch & feel for it and it recognized the phone as a non-supported model but that "most of everything should work as designed" It was awkward to type/speak the start & end points, and listening & searching took a long time - much slower than Goggle Map 4.1 with speech recongition. Since, my phone didn't have aGPS feature, I figure that it won't allow me to do the "Navigation" but the 2 large buttons were present on the bottom of the screen, on the left is for "Direction" and the right is for "Navigation" - given the "relatively" small screen vs. larger touchscreens like the TP or a regular Garmin 4.3" color screen, I just can't imagine really try to do this behind the wheels, let alone trying to "text" or even hit a button or two to go back, cancel or other very simple commands while stopped at a traffic light or completed pull off the side of a busy road - doing this while driving is definitely a major distraction & poses serious safety hazards.

Overall, I find it to be much slower in overall response vs. Google Map - Mobile 4.1 on the Q - with a slower CPU. It should run a bit faster on the newer phones like my unlocked HTC Ozone - but, I am not sure if I'm ready to drop GM and go with Bing for any sort of navigation. Already deleted the VZ Navigator icon on the Ozone's Start Menu since I'm running the 3VO ROm from XDA so the chances of being "prompted" to run VZN is slim to none - as I read something about it over at Howardforums.

It take more key presses to ge to the Layers (Aerial) view offered by Goggle (i.e. traffic, satellite, etc.) which is lightening fast when I click it. Even scrolling on Bing is slower - same for zooming in/out, just awkward with no shortcut or speed keys. It's still a beta version, maybe they'll get it right down the road, let us hope ....