Freaky issues with keypad and display turning on and off randomly

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by fusion1, Dec 4, 2011.

1. fusion1

fusion1 Member

Hey all, I know this is probably a ghost town now as I'm probably one of the few people STILL using a Q1 on a daily basis. I bought it in May of 2007 and have been using it daily since then. Hopefully I can make it last until the iPhone 5 or the Droid equivalents hits the market.

Anyhow, the other day I was typing a text and I could not get the numbers to work. Then any button that required the ALT key was not working. At this point I thought it was weird it would just stop working like this. Then I tried rebooting and the same issue occured. Well this went on a day or so and I was looking online for anything relevant to my problems and nothing pertaining to keypad issues were mentioned. Around this time I also noticed I'd see the display light up on it's own and I'd be expecting an incoming text message or something but nothing happened. The screen would come on and then turn off and this would just randomly reccur. At this point I thought to myself, "Is it possible to get a virus on a Q1"? Never crossed my mind before as I never had anything like this happen before in all the years I owned this. I couldn't get Window Mobile Device Center to connect to the Q so I did the unthinkable. I did a hard reset. The first time ever since May 2007. I was ticked off I lost everything installed and texts and contacts. Well same problem occured most of the next day. At this point even regular text was appearing like this: Hey HOw aRe YOu doInG TODay. And there were times when everything was in ALL CAPS randomly. It almost seemed like my Q was possessed, which was why I hard reset it the day before.

By the following day I texted and the ALT key was now working normally. Fast forward to today and everything seems normal. Has anyone ever experienced this? Is this a sign my phone will be dead soon or was it a freak glitch?
  2. fusion1

fusion1 Member

Also in another thread I started 2 years ago about getting a replacement mylar for the call buttons, it was mentioned a new keyboard for $6 could be purchased. Would a new keyboard fix whatever occured or if there is ever a bad button that stops working or is the problem deeper in the contacts hard wired into the phone? I'm guessing this would be a non replaceable component of the phone correct?
  3. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

Its possible that a new keyboard could work but its more than likely more than that something that you cant replace. 2007 - 2011 (almost 2012) is a pretty damn good run for a Q1.

Might be time to put it out to pasture, if you're looking for a new Droid, check out the Galaxy Nexus (if you are on Verizon)
  4. mhans311

mhans311 Member

Hey there's nothing wrong with using the Q1. I loved that phone. It was a great middle-of-the-night companion to me when my first kid was born almost 3 years ago.

I'm with n99hockey. It might be time to jump to a new phone. I'm loving my Droid X.

If you really want to stick with the Q for awhile longer, you can get them super cheap on ebay. I have seen them in decent condition for around $20 shipped.