Forcing WP7 to use WiFi over Mobile Data?

Discussion in 'Windows Phone 7' started by Shalinor, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Despair

Despair New Member

TY!
  2. Robert Wilbanks

Robert Wilbanks New Member

My Samsung Focus Wp7 from AT&T shows it connects to my secure Wifi at home (so it says)
    My problem is that even with Wifi showing it is connected, and Data Turned Off to ensure no data usage, I still can not connect or use any Data off of my wifi. The phone basically is not recieving connection from my Wifi when it says it is connected. When in other wifi hotspots like the unsecure/open connections, I can connect just fine. (I have not experimented with other secure connections yet). Is there some kind of way to add my device to a wireless connection manually through my router, because I have noticed the phone's Wifi settings are very limited? I have a D-Link router 2-5Ghz and it does show up with the correct SSIN on my Wp7 phone. I noticed the DNS number the phone was reading was 192.168.0.1 when connected to the router. Any suggestions? I also recently cracked my screen, so I'm going to see if a replacement/refurbished for $50 will fix this problem, then I can know it is something to do with the Wp7 hardware. (Note: I have another computer that connects to the D-link just fine, the only problem seems to be the phone.)
  3. Hologram

Hologram New Member

4. Robert Wilbanks

Robert Wilbanks New Member

5. Carlos Gonzalez

Carlos Gonzalez New Member

Hi, according to:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsphone/en-us/howto/wp7/start/connecting-how-and-when.aspx

WP7 will choose a Wi-Fi connection over a cellular data connection when they┬┤re both available. See info below.

; ) Carlos Gonzalez
    Data connectivity

When you do things like browse the web and send email, your phone sends and receives data using a Wi-Fi connection, cellular data connection, or phone-to-computer connection.

Your phone will typically choose a Wi-Fi connection over a cellular data connection when they're both available. And when your phone's connected to your computer using a USB cable and your computer is connected to a network, your phone will choose your computer's network connection over the other connections.