Forcing WP7 to use WiFi over Mobile Data?

Discussion in 'Windows Phone 7' started by Shalinor, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Shalinor

Shalinor New Member

Hi all,

I am trying to find out how to force my new WP7 phone (HTC Mozart) to use my WiFi instead of my mobile plan's datapack.

Or alternatively, to confirm that it is.

Thanks all :)
  2. pikacz

pikacz Member

i read somewhere that wp7 prioritizes wi-fi over cellular data, so it should be done automatically. but if you want to be sure, why not disable cellular data and use only wi-fi :)
  3. FuzzyReets

FuzzyReets Member

I had the same concern because it doesnt' indicate. I did a speed test at testmyiphone.com with and without the wifi on and it did use the wifi when it was on as the speed was much faster. Kind of lame that you can't tell though.
  4. pikacz

pikacz Member

so if wi-fi and cellular data are both turned on the phone will automatically use wi-fi, right? what concerns me most is if i have cellular data on, does wp7 uses it in the background like on android? i know it needs data to sync services, but what if i turn all sync off, will the phone still use cellular data for something? i hope it's not like in android where i need to download apn droid or another app to keep data off
  5. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

Curious, if you have to have a data package with these phones (I am only guess, since every other smartphone needs it) why do you want to default to WiFi at all times?
  6. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

I know the iPhone defaults to WiFi if you are connected to both. Not sure about WP7.
  7. pikacz

pikacz Member

i don't want to use wi-fi all the time, maybe my post was a bit confusing. i'm only interested in whether wp7 uses cellular data without notifying me about it. in symbian this was greatly resolved - the phone always asked for confirmation if i wanted to use an internet apn. in android it's worse, it uses apn whether you want to or not, you just have to switch it on
  8. Shalinor

Shalinor New Member

At least in my case, my mobile data package is for 3 GB with expensive rates for going over, while my wifi is 60GB, with no cost if I go over.

The majority of functions seem to require a mobile data package, as with wifi on, but mobile data off, nothing seems to connect.
    I cannot guarantee that this is not due to me buggering up my setup somehow, but it connects successfully...

It definately uses mobile data without notification and (as stated above) seemingly for the majority of things.
  9. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

They can limit your WiFi usage on your phone!?
    But I have the 5gb cap on Verizon (or what they call unlimited) and I have come close to 5gb once, that was with streaming video and no WiFi usage nearly everyday. I think it will be difficult for you to hit 3gb without serious streaming. IMO.
  10. termleech

termleech Member

Since it doesn't appear your question got completely answered, no the phone will not alert you if it's using cellular data. In this day and age most (if not all) smart phones assume they can use the cellular data if they can get it (iPhone, WP7, Adroid, they all do it).
  11. chris

But some (iPhone 4) pull WiFi if available and will ignore cellular data. I say this because my wife took an international trip and there was an app to track data usage. When her phone was idle all day, it pulled data (email) using WiFi and showed zero cellular data usage. Great idea for a Windows Phone 7 app. To make sure I don't get a $4000 bill, I've asked her to pull up the Dataman app to make sure she's correctly disable cellular data.
  12. termleech

termleech Member

That's a very good point. It would be very useful to be able to turn off data roaming (which would prevent charges from occuring for data usage outside your coverage area). I haven't looked for this option but if it's not there it's a huge need.

I'm pretty sure the phone will always use Wifi first, then cellular. If you look at their connection API for developers I believe it mentions that as the preference order (developer's can't change it).
  13. termleech

termleech Member

Looks like you can turn roaming off. From TechRadar:

"Unless you've got a great roaming plan or an expense account, you probably don't want to pay data costs when you [FONT=inherit !important]
    [COLOR=rgb(0, 100, 0) !important]travel abroad[/COLOR]​
    ; under Settings > mobile network you can turn off data roaming in Windows Phone 7.[/FONT]
  14. Shalinor

Shalinor New Member

Yes, you can turn off data roaming and also data connection. My ... concern? ... is that with data connection turned off and a WiFi connection, the majority of the data functions do not work.

Though as I type this, my mind is moving more and more towards thinking that there must be a conflict between my device and my WiFi, as this seems a very obvious and essential functionality. I think I will have to go and try an open WiFi and see how the device copes.

And a note to Chris - yes, one of my first thoughts was that if this does end up being the case, I wish I was able to write an app to monitor and control the data preferences as it would be an obvious requirement if MS had missed it :)
  15. chris

Not sure if you guys asked this on Twitter, but we've got an official answer.

If you are connected to WiFi you will use WiFi. If you WiFi is on but not connected to a network you will use cellular data.
  16. stonedbloke

stonedbloke New Member

I have owned a Mozart for a few weeks and have had both my Data and Wifi on whilst downloading apps. It appears that the phone prefers the data connection over WIFI. I had eaten up nearly 20% of my montly data allowance in 2 days. I now only download apps with the data connection off but this takes a few stages of clicking different pages to do and is a pain, then i forget to turn it back on so dont get email when away from WIFI.

Some games are as big as 200mb I woudnt take long before you get a wopping bill when you go over your allowance.

Is there an app which tells you which connection you are using or can quickly switch connection on and off.
  17. Tsartsalis Dimitris

Tsartsalis Dimitris New Member

I do have the same problem, because I have a data plan of 300 mb per month and I want to make sure I don't excit the limit. An app doing just that would be very nice to see. I had such an app both with android and with iphone. It showed me daily transfers over 3G/GPRS and WiFi transfers, weekly and monthly.
  18. Despair

Despair New Member

My 2nd day of having the phone I "allegedly" used 150MB (of my 200MB monthly) in one swoop at 10pm according to AT&T tracking. Which I thought was total BS since I never use that much data and more importantly I'm on wifi at home. This thread is making me think though maybe I did download a huge game or something and it used 3G even though wifi was available? Either way AT&T raised my limit to 2GB this month for free so I'm in the clear I think.

On the Samsung Focus how can you disable roaming or 3G data altogether? (I don't have a Settings > Mobile Network)
  19. TheDFO

TheDFO Member

On the Focus it is setting>phone to turn off roaming and/or Data.
    ninjaap likes this.
  20. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Thanks for that info! Just a slight correction though: settings/cellular/data connection[off]