Forced Security Policy

Discussion in 'Moto Q Hacks' started by Lucky13MN, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Lucky13MN

Lucky13MN New Member

Forced Security Policy

I now sync OTA to our Exchange server but it forced a security policy on my phone to auto lock after 1 hour and I cannot disable this now.

Is there any way around it?
  2. shaun0207

shaun0207 New Member

I dont think so. You may have to talk to your IT guy.
  3. comptiger5000

comptiger5000 New Member

I run an exchange server, talk to your IT guy, you cannot bypass the policy from the phone.
  4. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

With a registry editor....

HKLM/Security/Policies/Policies/000001023

"0" is locked
    "1" will unlock....no more greyed out!!

I'm in same boat..I keep mine locked and set at 24hrs(max) in case IT looks around to see if I'm locked up. Also in case I lose it...

:smile:IT..Smihty
  5. Lucky13MN

Lucky13MN New Member

Worked like a charm, thank you!

I should add that I had to use AEConfig to edit the value, found here for future reference:
    http://www.everythingq.com/forum/51180-post438.html

6. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

yeah! Theres some crazy app out there too that will unlock it automatically for you if your IT folks push it down again...seemed a bit overkill to me! :)
  7. Lucky13MN

Lucky13MN New Member

I tried one called 'KeepAlive' but it wouldn't run on the Q.

8. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

sounds like it...my company, which has pretty high security, only forced the lock upon activation so only needed the hack once.
  9. Lucky13MN

Lucky13MN New Member

Sounds like the case here... It's sync'd a few times now and nothing has changed so I'm thinking I'm golden until I have to do a master reset someday again lol.

Thanks for posting this fix, I really appreciate it.

10. comptiger5000

comptiger5000 New Member

Interesting, but I don't push a policy for that, so my experience in users bypassing it is limited.
  11. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

I suppose it is a good policy...from the companies side of view. You could get some good insider information reading through emails and saved docs. I myself couldn't stand the forced 20 minute lock rule. But..I'll in a red hot second call the IT security guys and get a forced wipe sent though if I know it got stolen! (If they can do that!)

Aw well...bottom line is there's a hack for everyone. Line 'em up!!
  12. Lucky13MN

Lucky13MN New Member

I understand why they do it (to cover their butt). I also won't hesitate to all in and have them remote wipe my phone if it should get lost or stolen. Hopefully they've implemented this lol.

I guess I wouldn't have as much of a problem with it if they were as strict with other devices (desktop pc's and laptops in particular).
  13. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

Now those 2 things I wouldn't try to hack!! :gasp:

Mine are forced password locked after 20 minutes....
  14. Lucky13MN

Lucky13MN New Member

Interesting... my sync isn't as fast as it was yesterday, in fact it's almost manual right now.

:gasp:
  15. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

Hmmm..this hack shouldn't cause that. Never has for me.....
  16. Lucky13MN

Lucky13MN New Member

Might just be a coincidence or me just being new to the direct Exchange sync but it did seem more instant yesterday.

That said, even after redoing the Server (deleted and re-added) it's still slower.

I guess I'll leave the hack implemented :2cool:

UPDATE:
    I was getting spoiled... turns out it was only when the status of a message changed from one or the other. New items and outgoing emails update almost instantly. But the status of read or deleted doesn't change until the next sync.
  17. zenkinz

zenkinz New Member

I have created a software before to stay unlock even with the regular (defualt is usually 24 hrs) policy enforcement. But it only works on WM5, and I have yet to port it to WM6. IF there's any interest, I can consider porting over.
  18. Lucky13MN

Lucky13MN New Member

The phone I have is WM5, care to post it? The reg hack is working great but just in case work does something again I want every option possible.
  19. zenkinz

zenkinz New Member

the download link is in this blog entry

http://www.zenyee.com/2006/07/31/seven-years-itch/

it makes use of the same reg hack you use, in fact, I was probably the first one who discover this reg hack, way back in 2006.

edit: I realised Q is still a smartphone, I must say it has been tested on a WM5 pocketpc phone, and it should work on WM6 professional, but I have not tested it on a WM5 smartphone, and likely it will not work (as I found out it won't work on WM6 smartphone)
  20. Lucky13MN

Lucky13MN New Member

Thank you.

So does this function automatically or is it something you run whenever you notice the policy is in effect again?