Folder Icons

Discussion in 'Q Home Screens and Wallpapers' started by RedScare, Jul 7, 2008.

1. coppertop24

coppertop24 New Member

Well, in my example picture on the second page, the syntax for the Accessories folder reads as follows:

1#moto1.icl,-1

Moto1.icl is my icon library file stored in my windows directory. Now if you are linking to a file that requires a path (IE, files stored anywhere OTHER than the windows directory) it would be laid out as such.

1#\storage card\temp\icons.icl,-12

or

1#\storage card\program files\useless directory\file.exe,-12

And so on and so forth.

If the path includes a space in the name of the various directories, that is fine. Make sure it is typed exactly as it is named.
  2. coppertop24

coppertop24 New Member

It is a lot of work initially, but once you have your first library built and change all of the "lnk" files, you can just build new libraries. As long as you keep the same order for each library and just replace the one you are currently using, a full system change could take but a couple of seconds. The initial hassle is worth it to me.

Heck, if we could get more folks interested and standardize the library order, we can start posting custom built libraries for quick installation. The biggest problem would be distributing the LNK files because if anyone is like me, my start menu has been heavily "organized". So a CAB installer wouldn't really work for anyone but those with an "unmolested" start menu. Ill have to think about this a bit. Maybe someone should write a program for changing icons on WM... anyway. Work was finished an hour ago. Time to start the voyage home.
  3. manbat

manbat Active Member

=========================== Thanks,I was using a \ instead of a , at the end when directing to the Storage Card....maybe that is why it wouldn't work. When I get home I will give it a try again and give you many thanks. Posted via Q9m.
  4. manbat

manbat Active Member

I got it working...Thanks for the help

====================================================
    It's amazing...just how much that COMMA effected the lnk Dropped the new Icon.lnk in and it worked. THANKS MUCH.
  5. manbat

manbat Active Member

===================================================
    Thank for suggesting GConvert 5.0....I'v been using it to look inside .dll & .exe files already in my Q9m and inside of the .dll & .exe in 3rd party apps I have installed..and find their file names...It's amazing how many un-used icons there are in some of these files. By writing icon.lnk 's directing to these files I have been able to customize many folders without adding any additional Icon Resource Files to the phone. Once the understanding of how it worked kicked in...it was easy. I have now been able to use icons in exe & dll resource files ( from anywhere in the phone...even the storage card). I am playing with GConvert 5.0 and in addition to creating some picture icons ...I am also creating some multi-color regular folders...just for contrast. When I get a good .icl Resource I'll post it. Thanks for all the help!!!
  6. coppertop24

coppertop24 New Member

Glad to help!
  7. manbat

manbat Active Member

Creating .icl file?

====== I have created a file of custom icons....made sure that they were 8 bit\256 made the icl file....looked inside and they are there. Afer installing to Q9m , creating the icon.lnk, and dropping the icon.lnk into the folders...no go. Are there any settings to create a readable .icl? Any other hints? As mentioned in the earlier post ...I can set from .dll and .exe, I am just having trouble setting from my created .icl files. Thanks.
  8. manbat

manbat Active Member

Got them working...Saved as .dll file

I got my icon files working now....Not Quite Satisfied with them. Will probably redo. Guess I'll have to buy this shareware. Works for me when saved as a ".dll"....would not as an".icl".
  9. coppertop24

coppertop24 New Member

Glad to hear you got them working. I am currently trying to work on getting selected/unselected state icons working. If I can get this rolling i will let you know how. :wink:
  10. manbat

manbat Active Member

<p>
    </p>
    <p>===============================I was playing with that a little last night. I made some icons that the 16 and 32's were different images and that worked. I wanted similar named folders not on the Start Menu changed but the 16 images were a little hard to see...added different images it worked. I also found that if I saved the library as a dll I could use 24 bit images...made them a little clearer! Posted via Q9m</p>
  11. coppertop24

coppertop24 New Member

Yeah, I noticed that the icons i was replacing in the EXE's were 24bit the other day also. I loaded some up but didnt see a real difference on the Q. Just a larger file size. I was going a different route with the sel/unsel icons but you got them to work by simply adding the different images directly into the individual icon files?
  12. manbat

manbat Active Member

Animated icons

===============================================
    No, that didn't work. That is what I tried to do to make a selected/unselected icon. What I did was make an icon that had different images for the different sizes. So the one .lnk would use a different image for the 32 or the 16. I'm attaching the two different images I have in my "Programs" icon. Those are just my "project" images....They have been changed a little in the icon.

Attached Files: