Folder Icons

Discussion in 'Q Home Screens and Wallpapers' started by RedScare, Jul 7, 2008.

1. RedScare

RedScare New Member

Folder Icons

Is there a way to assign a folder icon to a new folder on the start menu?

In existing folders, such as the "Applications" folder, there is a shortcut called 'icon' which I assume is what's controlling the folder icon as it displays.

Can I assign these for folders I create? For example, I made a folder called "Media" with a few shortcuts in it, but it has the boring folder icon (looks like a tan file folder).

Thanks in advance.
  2. manbat

manbat Active Member

icon.lnk

============================= Inside each folder that is represented by a image there is an "icon.lnk", I created folders called Games , Games II and Free Games. you must uncheck the hide systemfiles and the hide hidden files boxes. You con then see the icon.lnk. I copied the icon.lnk from Games to the other two Games Folders. Now all three have the Joystick icon displaying in the Start Menu.......it will work on other folders also. Enjoy. Posted via Q9m w/ Skyfire
  3. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

pretty interesting...
  4. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

Learned something new everyday.
  5. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

ditto here.. been here for a little while but still there are things i did not know :}
  6. manbat

manbat Active Member

Creating icon.ink for icon resourse files

==================================================
    I came across some information and a tutorial on how to create "icon.lnk" that will allow the use of icons from files in the SD Card. It's from 2002 for "older" operating systems...I can get it to "sort of" work. If it works will be able to give any folder a custom image! I'm going to play with the format and create a resource file that is smaller.... and has customized and colorized icon that are more "phone specific". If I get it working well ...I'll post it. I've never seen anything like this here on EQ before...it might interest a few people.
  7. RedScare

RedScare New Member

That sounds great. I'd love to be able to use custom icons.
  8. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

9. Golden Y

Golden Y New Member

10. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

have not tried it on my Q9 though...
  11. manbat

manbat Active Member

Can't get it to WORK

Has anyone gotten these added Icon changes to work?.....I thought I was on the right track......but I couldn't get them to work. If the icon is already in the phone ...I've been able to use it in other folders....but that's as far as I got.
  12. coppertop24

coppertop24 New Member

If you follow the directions in the link that was previously posted it works. I modified almost every icon on my Q9c. I used GConvert 5.0 to build the icon libraries. They HAVE to be 48x48 256, 32x32 256 and 16x16 256. Using true color icons will not work. Found that out the hard way after building the library and changing about 25 of the icons. Put the icon library in your windows folder and make the changes to the "lnk" file. I just did a hard reset last night for an unrelated reason, but I will redo some of my changes and post a pic.

The quick and dirty: Rename the icon.lnk file to icon.txt and edit the contents. The syntax should be as follows:

1#name.icl,-3

As described in the other thread, the first number doesnt mean much. The "name.icl" should match your library and the "-3" is the respective position of the icon within the library. After all changes are made, rename the file to "icon.lnk" and you should be good. Now, the change will not be immediate but if you go into the start menu and navigate to the folder you are trying to change, you will see the icon.lnk in the menu. Click on it and it should register the library asking if you are sure you want to run the component. Just say yes. THEN, a soft reset is normally required. Seems like a lot of work, but once youve done it a few times it goes pretty quick. By the way, once your library is registered, you wont have to reset everytime you change a folder or program to use the icons within the library. Sorry if this a bit confusing, im no teacher. I will post how to change program icons later, but i think that is also covered in the other thread. :wacko:

I believe Munan was the first to post this many moons ago, props go to him.
  13. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

@ coppertop24: so just doing one icon will not work ? the icon has to be in a library ? any chance you want to show of and possibly share icon libaries ?
  14. manbat

manbat Active Member

===============================I read those posts. I opened up the lnk file for 3rd party app(that are install in SD Card.) icons ....the icon.ink directs something like this< 1#"\Storage Card\Program Files\ .......exe,-1 > I was trying to direct the lnk to an exe that I have in the Storage Card that has files that are known to me....contains good looking icons. Is there a way to do this? Posted via Q9m
  15. manbat

manbat Active Member

================= If you have an icon file that works and would like the share I too would be interested.
  16. coppertop24

coppertop24 New Member

Ok, i changed a couple of progs and my folders, here is a quick screenshot as promised. I do have a couple of libraries but they are pretty much tailored to my Q9 as i have yet to purchase GConvert so the libraries are limited to only 25 icons. Im not really happy with them but let me find somewhere to host them and i will post a link so you can modify them to your liking. Give me a bit and i will create a thread with a play by play with pics for those who are more of a visual learner.

Attached Files:

17. coppertop24

coppertop24 New Member

In fact, there is. Here is an example. Say you wanted to change the program Zaptastic to use the icon from Schedy. Change the Zaptastic.lnk contents to something like so:

1#\path you want changed\Zaptastic.exe?\path to file you want to use\schedy.exe,-2004

In this example, "\path you want changed\zaptastic.exe" is the path to the program for which you want the icon changed.

Everything AFTER the "?" is the path and EXE file with the icon you want. The "-2004" would again be the offset for the icon. Make sense?
  18. coppertop24

coppertop24 New Member

That is correct. You can not link directly to a single icon. Its has to be in either an ICL, DLL or EXE file. I use ICL because they seem to be the easiest to work with. ICL being an icon library file, incase someone didnt know. Sorry for answering these in so many posts . . .

Ya know, I am very surprised this hasnt been covered more in depth around here considering how much folks like to customize the Q.
  19. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

thanks coppertop.. like I said it was discussed a bit a while ago but I guess not many folks want to change icons..(i think n99hockey said too much work :}

i'm gonna keep an eye on the new thread you're wanting to start.

(give me a holler if you need some on-line space)

potQ9c
  20. manbat

manbat Active Member

================= I'm looking to create custom icon.lnk to drop in plain brown folders to change them image folders. It can be done with pre-existing ones. What is the format of the "directions" in the icon.lnk? I have seen it written with \'s and with just spaces. What works with WM6?