Focus battery life - personal test.

Discussion in 'Samsung Focus' started by kareljack, Nov 16, 2010.

1. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

Ever since I had my Moto Q9H, measuring and comparing battery life to other owners has been a tricky deal at best.
    When I first got my Focus, I understandably never put it down. Battery life, to say the least, was quite short. I'd take it off the charger as I was leaving for work at 7 am and by 1 pm I had to plug it back in. I was constantly using it, getting a feel for the OS, enjoying the speed and fluidity.

Today I decided to limit myself to what I feel would be normal usage. No more constant surfing and using apps. I also broke a habit that I picked up with the Q of always using the phone as a distraction. Walking to the elevator - I'd use the phone. Heading to the train station, waiting for the bus, walking through a department store, on my lunch break, etc etc.

I limited myself to the following : Waiting for the bus and bus ride to the train - Check Facebook, check twitter and follow a couple of links, browse lifehacker.com and gizmodo.com, read email and follow links in emails from everythingwm to read new replies in followed posts and then check the pictures hub. When the train crossed the bridge I'd refresh the People hub for Facebook content and also refresh twitter.

At work I repeated the above every two hours and on my way to the train home I would refresh the People hub and twitter and scan through as I waited for the train. Once I got off the train (1.5 hour ride each way) I sometimes would go into Target and in between shopping and/or browsing the merchandise, my Q would always be in hand. Not so this time. I did not use the phone until I was on the bus heading home.

At home, besides the usual email and texts, I had a 45 minute call with the GF, downloaded and tested 3 news/rss apps, another 10 minute call, hit the aforementioned websites, Facebook and Pictures hub, a 10 minute texting spree and now at 12:20 am the last battery bar finally disappeared - and as most Focus owners know, there is still some juice left even with a blank battery indicator.

While not the greatest battery life, I gotta say I am pretty happy..especially with the knowledge that all I have to do is pop the phone on the charger for the last 2 hours of work and the phone will last through the night with no worries. I pretty much will have to commit to not using the phone unnecessarily as I did with the Q and the extended battery. But I can't promise that this will be the case when an extended battery and cover comes out for the Focus.
    (I had location services off for this test, in the morning I will do this again with location services on and see what kind of difference it makes.)
    chris likes this.
  2. alejovh1

alejovh1 New Member

I get about 9 to 10 hours with heavy use, not too bad
  3. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

Well, the phone did not make it to midnight. Having location services on is a noticeable difference...the phone did not make it to midnight and I did not even have a length phone call as I did last night. I probably did use the phone a bit more thru-out the day, but at most it should have subtracted 30 minutes from last night's time. It's almost a 2 hour difference and if you factor in the phone call, it's close to 3 hours.
    It was also suggested that Feedback should also be switched off, so tomorrow I will keep location service turned on but Feedback off.

Is it true that using Wi-Fi instead of 3G will help reduce battery drain?
  4. Max Strzelecki

Max Strzelecki New Member

The battery life on the Samsung Focus is terrible. I purchased the phone on Nov. 8th, replacing my Blackberry Bold 9700. I just left my Bold turned on and it's been sitting on my desk for a week and a half now, and it still has over 50% charge.

Granted, I no longer use the Bold, but I did leave the wifi running. But when I leave the wifi running on the Focus overnight, it's dead by morning.
  5. Max Strzelecki

Max Strzelecki New Member

No, the wifi radio uses much more battery than the cellular radio.
  6. termleech

termleech Member

Battery life definitely could be better but I think it's correlated to the optimization of the phone OS. Right now the OS isn't totally optimized (it's sluggish for me at times). This causes a bigger battery drain. I'm sure once they've got the OS optimized more the battery life will increase.
  7. NaplesBill

NaplesBill Member

My battery life has been much better the last couple of days. I haven't changed my usage behavior in any significant way. I don't know why it improved.
  8. Steven Elliott

Steven Elliott New Member

Stupid question. What does location services do? Is it for Gps use to identify where you are at? I know facebook uses something like that. Changing the settings on how often your email updates can help as well. Letting your battery drain I think a cycle of three times and then a full charge will build up battery strength.
  9. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

Location services can be used for apps that need to know your location. For example, FourSquare, Yelp, etc.
  10. Steven Elliott

Steven Elliott New Member

Ok thanks. I turned my auto feedback off and am going to let it cycle to q full charge then drain. I had the samsung Captivate with android and battery life was similar after a lot of tweaking.
  11. jimsmith

jimsmith New Member

I don't know that that is true. Lithium ion batteries like to be recharged frequently and don't like to be drained. Your advice might work for a Nickel based battery but not Lithium.
  12. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

Much better results this time with Feedback switched off and Location switched on. Not as long lasting as my original test but close enough.
    There was one minor glitch that might or might not have skewed the results way off. For all the tests I used Wi-Fi for a 5-10 minute surf session in the cafeteria as there is no cell signal in the basement. Unfortunately I forgot to switch Wi-Fi off when I was done and did not realize it till an hour later. I decided to compensate by charging the phone for 30 minutes..which may have been a bit too long so I increased my web surfing.
    I got in a 25 minute call, a 15 minute call and a 10 minute call when I got home and I also did some heavy surfing. As of 11pm, the final bar on the battery indicator just vanished so I'm about 1.5 hrs off my original record, but still better than last night. I will repeat today's test of Feedback off and Location on again tomorrow since I messed up with the Wi-Fi.
    Once I go back to a slightly heavier usage pattern, I figure that the battery will last me thru-out the work day till 9pm. Of course, I can always charge the phone for the last 1.5 hours of my workday in case I'm going out somewhere. In any case, my Gf ordered an extra battery each and that should put any battery worry I have to rest.
  13. A person

A person New Member

If I treat this like a normal phoneI get decent battery life. However, it is all the 3G data sucking that is killing my battery.
  14. meridian

meridian Member

It's a smartphone. Smartphones need to be charged every night. Deal. :p
  15. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

I'm ok with the battery life. It's seems to be in line with my other smartphones, outside of the Pre.
  16. Con Chuot

Con Chuot New Member

I got about 14 to 16 hours with average usage - internet, listen to music about 2 hours a day, ~40 to 50 text, ~ 20 min calls. I turn-off 3G whenever I have wifi to save battery life
  17. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

Wow.. That's impressive ! 10 - 12 hours is my average.
  18. Jhorra

Jhorra New Member

I've actually heard that after a number of charges and usage the battery life gets better. I believe it as my wife has the Sprint Samsung Epic. If you compare that phone to this they look almost exactly the same except for the keyboard. Her battery life actually got a lot better after a few weeks of usage.