Fn Key / Cap Key Issues

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by SpeakerRob, Jun 27, 2010.

1. SpeakerRob

SpeakerRob New Member

Fn Key / Cap Key Issues

Background:

I've been using a Q9c with Sprint for the past 2 years and I really love this phone. I've hacked it, mod'ed it and done just about everything with it but go to the moon (aside from a really cool moon exploring app I download once). Recently though, my charger port stopped charging my phone and I took it in today to have it replaced. The rep gave me a brand new Q9c free of charge (love TEP) and I took it home to reinstall all my hacks and apps.

Problem:

Upon pressing the Fn key or the Cap key I neither get the common toggle on the screen or the ability to type numbers and/or capital letters. It flat out seems like the keys do not work. I don't remember having to change any settings for these keys two years ago, but I could be wrong.

Is there a known solution to this, or a setting I'm missing? Or do I need to go get a brand new BRAND NEW Q9c?
  2. mhans311

mhans311 Member

I am guessing that one of the hacks and/or apps is the culprit. You could troubleshoot by trying one hack at a time and seeing if that is the one that is causing the issue. If nothing works, I guess you could just do a hard reset and try again.
  3. SpeakerRob

SpeakerRob New Member

Sorry for the confusion with the background information; I have not had the chance to do any hacks or put any apps on this new Q9c yet since this problem keeps me from doing even the most simple things, as all of my screen names and passwords have capitals, numerals and meta characters in them.

The new phone is still just as it is out of the box, no modifications yet. I'm trying to fix this issue first before putting in all the work of getting the device back to where my older one was with all it's modifications.
  4. SpeakerRob

SpeakerRob New Member

Alright, seems like I accidentally found a fix on my own. If you ever have a Q9c that seems like the Fn and CAP keys have no functionality at all this is what worked for me:

While I was on a call I went to check something on my phone and accidentally hit the Fn key and noticed the icon toggled finally. After ending that call my Fn and CAP keys worked perfectly. So try making a phone call and while you are on the call play with either of the two keys to see if they start working, then end the call.

I honestly have no idea why this worked, I'm just going to wrap it up as a quirky WM 6.1 software glitch. In either case I'm glad I don't have to go swap out this brand new Q9c because it doesn't have the dust under the screen problem like my old one did. Thank you for those that took the time to read this and/or made suggestions.

**Mods please close thread, thank you.**
  5. SpeakerRob

SpeakerRob New Member

**UPDATE**

Was not a software issue, turns out upon closer inspection that the scroll wheel was just ever so slightly pushed in too far so that it was constantly making contact. Apparently this caused the device to continuously detect that it was being pressed and flooded the IRQ so that my Fn and Cap keys didn't work. I stumbled across this when I turned my system volume up and noticed the scroll wheel became stuck inside the casing, along with my Fn and Cap keys not working again. I just unstuck the wheel and suddenly their functionality returned.

Hopefully this odd situation doesn't happen to anyone else, but if it does I believe this might be a possible solution for them.