Flex Mail 4 Beta

Discussion in 'Windows Phone Software' started by sulster, Apr 12, 2008.

1. larsdennert

larsdennert Active Member

I wrote a simple script that runs in background on the phone. It sleeps most of the time but I have it programmed to wakeup once per hour and check to see if FlexMail is running. If not, it runs it for you.

Now I just need to make sure that the script doesn't get killed by the OS (haha) and that it doesn't suck battery for some reason. Making a shortcut to the script in \windows\startup would
    run FM when you boot the phone too. Best for me to test it for a bit...
  2. sulster

sulster Active Member

I'm no programmer, so forgive if my explanation is a bit too simplistic, but I think i remember reading something about why it stops running. It's got something to do with the large size of the RAM required by the app. So, when you run something else that has a larger (is it "footprint?") it knocks FlexMail out b/c not enough RAM and then it doesn't start up automatically.

I think there is an "Run in the Background" option that keeps it checking for emails for you.
  3. craiggiarc

craiggiarc Active Member

I think you are right Sluster. I run both Photo Contacts Pro and FlexMail and they seem to fight over RAM, it appears that they can manage to run both at the same time until I open a third app and then either one, or both will close.

It would be nice if there was a way to prioritize which items should stay open and which closed.
  4. sulster

sulster Active Member

It's the opposite of our usual "We wish applications would CLOSE" without Task Manager problem. :)
  5. larsdennert

I didn't see a "run in bachground" option in flexmail and it seems to do so by design. It uses about 3MB of mem. I can.t tell if it's getting bumped by the OS or crashing. To test my script i had it run all night checking at ten second intervals and it didn't seem to drain the battery. I now have it check at one hour int.

Programmaticaly I can start, stop, kill programs, windows and registry entries and monitor things in background. I may expand on it to have the phone automatically do some other stuff like turn the BT on or off at night etc.
  6. craiggiarc

craiggiarc Active Member

So is the script in a state that could be shared? :)
  7. sulster

sulster Active Member

Lars, you should check out the Beta Release thread at the WEBis.net forums. they have a logging app and can tell you if it is crashing or getting shut down b/c of memory useage.
  8. larsdennert

Thanks for the info! I did see the logging but haven't tried it. In a way it doesn't matter why it's closing to me (unless I'm going to help them debug). I just loaded the trial and went for it. Maybe the old versions had the same issue but I don't know.

So for anyone that wants a quick fix, here it is. I've tested it enough to think it works.

Install mortscript on your Q. A cab is here http://67.122.16.97/lars/misc/smartphone/MotoQ/MortScript-4.0-SP.cab
    or you can get a current version off their site.
    Load the script somewhere on your Q from here http://67.122.16.97/lars/misc/smartphone/MotoQ/FMstart.mscr
    Run the script or create a shortcut to it in \windows\startup using the file manager.

The script is idle in background and checks once per hour for the Flexmail process. If not, it will run it if it can find it the standard install folders. Either main memory or SD. I set it for one hour because there may be circumstances when you are doing something with your Q that requires more memory. If Flexmail gets run again in a very short time, like a minute the phone would drag heavily.
  9. craiggiarc

craiggiarc Active Member

Has anyone had any success using the homescreen plugin provide in the Beta release? Whenever I try to add it via the FlexMail GUI it hangs.

Does anyone have the code itself so that I can add it in manually?

Craig
  10. lexluthor

lexluthor New Member