Flashed Q

Discussion in 'Moto Q Hacks' started by bryanpjenkins, Feb 27, 2009.

1. bryanpjenkins

bryanpjenkins New Member

Flashed Q

I bought a Verizon Q9m that had been "Flashed" to Cricket from one of those "Authorized Retailer" places. I've flashed old Sprint and Verizon phones before to Cricket but they only had Talk/Text capibility. What drew me to the Q is I had full access to the features for some reason. I could send and receive MMS and most importantly; the web browser was fully functional. However, since it's a Verizon product....obviously Cricket will offer no Tech support.

My question is: If I run a software update on the Q...will it undo the flash and render my phone usless on Cricket?

I'm running Windows Mobile 6 standard and Media Player 10 mobile. I know there's an update available but I really don't want to screw up a good thing being that my phone does more than a flashed phone should do.

Thanks for any help...really anybody who knows anything about flashing who has unrelated info to share please feel free.
  2. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

I imagine if you use the motorola software update tool it will either say there is no update available. or it will be flashed back to verizon.
  3. beats

beats Member

also had q9c flashed to cricket

the updates will not undo the flash. i was scared to press my active sync option for the same reasons. i bought my q9c in feb.09 just to flash to cricket for cheaper unlimited.however with no youtube access and no flash player ,i'm still like whats the point and the big fuss .i paid 400 dollars for a brand new q9c (no youtube) only to be embarrassed by a kid half my age with a two year old htc with full internet and wifi.d@#$!:angry:
  4. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

if you want to watch youtube on on your Q, being on cricket limits you because you can't use skyfire. but search for the flash bundle
  5. lx5.0

lx5.0 New Member

i just updated my fully flashed moto q and when i did i lost everything even the full flash it was back to verizons programming. I thought i had to take it back to store and pay them 30 dollars to fully reflash it again but last night i started to google around and try and see if i can flash my phone on my own, and what do you know after searching and searching and found a page where it gives you all the steps to fully flash a moto q and after about 45 mins i had my phone fully flashed to cricket and working again saved me some money their. Heres the link
    http://www.howardforums.com/archive/topic/1211368-1.html
    their is some files you have to search for like the cricket prl and the rsd general
  6. beats

beats Member

hey that sounds great.all props for out hustling a service provider.what update did you do that reversed the first flash? just curious so that I won't do the same.I'd probably have more trouble than you solved. I have so many questions.as I stated I have a q9c flashed to cricket also.(paid $45 at cricket )can you watch youtube videos?did all of your programs remain intact after flash?where did you find the cricket prl and the rsd general? are they region specific ?didn't mean to ask so much at once but your story is inspirational.please continue.
  7. lx5.0

lx5.0 New Member

all the programs and prl i found it by searching cant tell you exactly where cause i forgot, i used the update that motorola has on their website i had plugged in my phone to check if their was an update and their was so i did it and when it finished i tried to make a call and i hear welcome to veirizon i was shocked i though i had to take it back and pay 35 again nothing worked anymore no internet or text mms so thats when i start to google around and got programs i needed and followed steps and put *228 or something like that and made a call and it starter to worK again and for mms and internet its just some simple steps i was even shocked that i was able to flash and get everything working again
  8. Q-Area51

Q-Area51 Guest

EXCELLENT end to a tenuous situation. All's well that ends well. :) -Q
  9. beats

beats Member

hey thanks.
  10. civil

civil New Member

I have not tried youtube yet, but skyfire worked fine for me. Yes, I have an original Q and Cricket.
  11. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

how'd you manage that?
    unless it was while your phone was connected to a PC. otherwise you would pretty much be the only ckricket user to actually get skyfire working
  12. ddark1

ddark1 New Member

You tube

You tube works just fine on the Q flashed to Cricket