First time Hacking the Q. Any advice.

Discussion in 'Mac and Motorola Q' started by rutherford.nick, Feb 1, 2007.

1. rutherford.nick

rutherford.nick New Member

First time Hacking the Q. Any advice.

Hi guys. First of all this site is great, and you guys are geniuses.

I will buying a Q very shortly. In fact I may just pay 200 for a used one, because I can't wait for my "New Every Two" plan to reset itself in April, thereby giving me a substantial discount on a new Q.

Anyway, I am a mac user, and the most important thing to me about the Q is being able to sync up my calendar, and making sure they work well together.

It looks like this is possible with some work, also it looks like alot of it involves cracking the Q's code open and changing it. This would be my first time "hacking" a phone, I'm not an idiot, but can this damage my phone if I do it incorrectly? Or is it very straightforward if I just follow directions?

Thanks in advance.
  2. IgotQ

IgotQ New Member

Just get MissingSyn for Windows for your Mac.

I use it and it syncs my calendar on my Q and puts it in iCal.
  3. RRGuy

RRGuy New Member

+1

Missing Sync is great. I use it to sync my Entourage and install files onto the phone. No hacks needed!
  4. Jpike005

Jpike005 New Member

just a point to mention, it does cost $40 if that matters to you

i just got my new q for 250 (would have been 200 if i got a silver) and i didnt wait for my contract...why do you need to get it used?
  5. rutherford.nick

rutherford.nick New Member

From what I have been told, by a very friendly store employee and by terrible verizon phone support, that I don't qualify for a phone upgrade until April 11th, and even then it will be a "early upgrade." Hopefully the 99 dollar deal will still be on. Until then, it will be 299, or 399. Either way Im not paying that much.

But, I have been browsing the boards, and it seems that this month they will be announcing (hopefully) new Qs. So that could mean a quick drop in the current Q price. Or at least a new promotion for a better phone.

Then again there is the "I want it now" factor playing into alot of this.

Is a used phone just a straight up terrible idea?