Few questions from a newbie

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9m' started by mkauble, Feb 19, 2008.

1. mkauble

mkauble New Member

Few questions from a newbie

Just bought my Q 9m. Love it. Hoping the battery "burns in" a bit so the life is a bit longer, but it seems like this is a common issue, so I won't go on about it.

Anyway, question 1. Should explorer be saving my passwords for the web sites I visit? Is there a way to make it do that? Third party app?

Question 2. Smart tool kit (love it) won't start automatically when I start the phone. Is there a setting I'm missing or do I just need to start it manually. Not a big deal, just curious.

Question 3. In the standard windows screen, rather than the media screen, is there a shortcut for the camera, or do you have to scroll through the options to get there?

Finally, is there a way to merge contacts from the phone to your outlook when you sync? My boss has the same phone, and he had Verizon transfer all of his contacts from his old phone. When the computer sync'ed with the phone, it deleted all of the moved contacts. I've looked for settings, but it doesn't seem like there are any.

Thanks in advance!

-Mike
  2. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

dont think it does that
    flexwallet might do that

isnt there a camera button on the keyboard?

download and install active sync if you have XP or windows mobile device center if you have vista
    www.windowsmobile.com
  3. mkauble

mkauble New Member

Thanks for the quick response.

Too bad about Explorer. Oh well.

Don't see a camera button.

And I have active sync. I was hoping there was a way to make the contacts merge rather than erase one set in favor of another.

Thanks again.
  4. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

check the button next to the space, that is if you have this keyboard...

ps. i use FlexWallet to store passwords and other sensitive information, it has a pc client so you can sync with it and have the information stored at 2 places.
  5. obfuscated7ruth

obfuscated7ruth New Member

to my knowledge, you cannot change that homescreen switch button to the camera button. I remapped my keys so that the sideback became the camera button and the only thing that happened is the sideback became the homescreen switch button. you should just pin it to your mru
  6. rainmakerrc

rainmakerrc New Member

The Q9m does not have a dedicated camera button (though the Sprint Q9c does, as does the Q9h, I believe)

For STK, there is an option under Control Panel-->General-->Options to run the program on startup.

As for your camera shortcut, you should follow the last poster's advice and pin it to your start menu in STK, add it as a shortcut on the Gadget Bar, or add it as a shortcut to the popup launcher on the Gadget Bar.

For PIE, there should be an option to allow cookies, which should save certain of your login information.
  7. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

what keyboard pic did i post ? i searched for a Q9m keyboard and that is what came up..
  8. rainmakerrc

rainmakerrc New Member

Body looks almost like a Q9m, but I distinctly recall from when I had a Q9m that it had no camera button. In it's place was the a useless button to switch between the standard homescreen and the media homescreen.

The keyboard looks like the Q9c's keyboard on a Q9m's body (given the camera button and the blue numbers and lines on the number keys - the Q9m's were red, if I remember correctly).

The Q9m's keyboard is here:

http://common.ziffdavisinternet.com/util_get_image/18/0,,i=186133,00.jpg
  9. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

no dedicated camera button? That's crazyness man!
  10. rainmakerrc

rainmakerrc New Member

Yeah, that was mildly annoying when I had the Q9m.
  11. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

sounds odd indeed... guess another thing learned today.

thanks
    rainmakerrc.
  12. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

kinda defeats the purpose of a media heavy phone not to have easy acces to the camera.

learned my thing of the day..thx
  13. blaze7

blaze7 New Member

newbbie

hi folks i'm new here i have a moto q i guess it's the first model out thru a service called ntelos ..i made a mistake and hit the reset button! lost everything. is there a way to get your info back like contacts,pics etc. w out having to back it up? if so please let me know it would save me the time in sending eamils to my fam and friends and clients ,:frown:thanks
  14. rainmakerrc

rainmakerrc New Member

I'm assuming you meant that you Master Reset your Q. If that's the case then without your data backed up, you may be SOL.

How exactly did you "reset" your Q?
  15. mkauble

mkauble New Member

Thanks all for the help!

I got the STK to work on start-up!

I'll look into the cookies thing. Too bad about the camera.

Thanks all!

-Mike

PS: Oh! The contacts still only sync one way. Any ideas?
  16. mkauble

mkauble New Member

You know, I just tested it on mine. Made a contact on my phone, and it transfered it over to outlook just fine. Must be another issue. Maybe with his setup.
  17. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

welcome aboard.... if you did a Master Reset rainmakerrc is correct, it's all gone.. hope you learned your lesson: backup !!
  18. blaze7

blaze7 New Member

:frown: listing to a dumb @s friend i hit the reset insystem tools master reset !
    well i'm getting some of my contacts back by them calling me but pics are gone forever :frown: a learned lesson

19. blaze7

blaze7 New Member

ye i know to that this time lol thanks alot peeps for the reply ..that was fast!:laugh2::frown: well back to filling my q up some more talk to you guys later:2cool: