Feedback on using a vehicle mount?

Discussion in 'Motorola Q Accessories' started by BrandNew, Jul 8, 2006.

1. BrandNew

BrandNew New Member

Feedback on using a vehicle mount?

Any suggestions for a vehicle mount? I looked in the store and saw a few different options, but I have never mounted a phone or anything in my truck so I was curious if people had good/bad experiences and which mount they would recommend.

Thanks in advance!
  2. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

I've used a custom mount that I created years ago, but there are a lot of options out there now. I was able to buy a bracket that came out from underneath my stereo and allowed me to mount a radio shack cellphone holder. Originally got this hookup from my iPod, but works great for smartphones too. It's much too complicated, especially considering all of the choices. I'd like to get one that has the suction cup and keep my phone in the middle of the dash -- I use the GPS on my Treo quite a bit and find myself looking down at the maps. This is not good. So, if you think you're going to get a GPS down the road, then definitely get one that allows you to mount to the windshield using a suction cup. Also, see if you can get one where the bottom of the Q is supported.

-Chris
  3. TAG1976

TAG1976 New Member

[​IMG]

Here's one of the "Suction Cup" mounts Ive looked at. Im not sure if the "Vent Mount" looks secure enough to me.
  4. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

That one looks pretty cool. Wish the neck was slightly longer to get more "flex". The silver matches the Q nicely.
  5. hnsimpson

hnsimpson New Member

In my opinion the Vent-Mount sucks. I bought one, mounted it in my car, took one ride and spent the rest of the day working to remove the damned thing. It robbed me of my precious AC! Also, not to get too personal, but my vents are floppy! and this caused other issues!

Right now I am using the Cupholder-Mount. It is ok, but is shaky shaky shaky when I am driving. I do like the position that it places my Q in (above the console, ready for right-hand action). However, I am concerned that it may impede my future plans of GPS use with my Q.

Everything Q store has the windshield mounted ones with the flexy-stick. You don't have to be Carnac to see one in my future.

-Simpson
  6. Manipon

Manipon New Member

Proclip has a nice system. You buy the mount, then buy the holder. In most cases you have options where you want to mount.

Images
  7. thedriver

thedriver New Member

I second the Proclip system. A little spendy, but rock solid and beautifully made plastic.