FCC questions Verizon Wireless about its new $350 early termination fee

Discussion in 'Verizon Wireless' started by n99hockey, Dec 4, 2009.

1. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

FCC questions Verizon Wireless about its new $350 early termination fee

via BGR
  2. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

*shakes head*

guess we know who is getting lumps of coal this year..

what does Verizon consider an "advanced" phone? Aren't all smartphones required to have a data plan anyway? Yes. So they plan on beating the average Joe with a phone 1 step above a Jitterbug with accidental data fees now? SHAME!
  3. txter

txter New Member

im sarting to get miffed at all the fees were getting hit with.
  4. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

Sprint isn't much better.. They had no problem charging me .40/min overage x 650+ min. I was a little "cranky" after getting that bill.

Strike 2...
  5. Weapondrift

Weapondrift New Member

anyone think is has something to do with the tanked economy?
  6. n99hockey

probably...
    just like how the CC companies jacked up their interest rates due to 'the economy'
  7. cookiemomster

cookiemomster New Member

It is my understanding that the average smart phone, using Droid as an example, has an off the shelf price of about 550.00 So if they are selling it at 200.00 with a two year contract, the early termination fee recovers their cost of 550.00. It doesn't seem obscene to me that they would try to recover the actual cost of the phone which they sold at a reduced price in exchange for the two year contract. There are other options such as a 1 year contract which has a higher upfront cost. Not having the option personally of pursuing a higher up front cost to lower back end cost, I don't have verification of the price difference for the different options. I also believe you can pay full price and have no contract.
    I am thrilled though to see the FCC require an explanation for the pricing structure. While I don't personally have to worry about accidentally accessing the mobile web, there is a risk that my kids could do it on there phone. This post will motivate me to see if there is an option in my account to disable this ability so no accidents happen. I already had a problem with letting the kids play games on my voyager without realizing that it didn't come with games. They managed to sign up for about ten games in fifteen minutes without understanding the difference in the options that were proposed to them. (7 year old.) I was very shocked to get that bill.
  8. txter

txter New Member

i agree that their trying to recover money. what i dont see is that if they are doing that, then why do they knock down the ETF $10 for every month you had the phone active ? that doesnt make sence. i think its more about trying to keep who they have and not lose more customers.
  9. n99hockey

Verizon responds
    via Engadget
  10. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

---- gets popcorn ready ---

why didn't they resond with a simplified version of the response... "because we can!"

If it is stated up front when signing up for the contract then the customer has no legal right to cry about it later.
  11. n99hockey

12. mytem

mytem New Member

Etf

Try using a Verizon reseller to get around the steep ETF. The only down side is that they usually have to wait 3 to 6 mos before they get the newest phones (of course, by then, they are not "newest" anymore).