External bluetooth keyboard problems

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9n' started by cbettag, Feb 11, 2009.

1. cbettag

cbettag New Member

External bluetooth keyboard problems

I have used a Think Outside Stowaway bluetooth keyboards with my Q's for a couple of years now. It's great for writing slightly longer emails if I am waiting at the doctors etc etc.

The bluetooth keyboard paired & worked beautifully with my Q9c via the bluetooth manager. It recognized the keyboard & all the keys worked.

I have the keyboard now paired with the Q9n. I used the same built in Bluetooth Manager driver. I also tried using the windows mobile Think Outside keyboard driver, but that does not work at all on the Q9n.

The main problem is that (strangely) many of the keys that operated just fine when I paired the keyboard with the Q9c do NOT work with the Q9n. For instance, the 'shift' key does not work, which means I can't get any capitals or a bunch of symbols.

I don't think there's much to be done about this, but if anyone can shed light on this or suggest a better way to do this, I am all ears.
  2. cbettag

cbettag New Member

Here's an idea, but I have no idea on how I could implement it - suggestions welcome:

Is it possible to replace the bluetooth keyboard driver on my Q9n with the keyboard driver from my Q9c? This would solve the problem (maybe) but I am not sure how I'd proceed with this or if it's advisable.
  3. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

can you download the drivers from the manufacturers website?
  4. cbettag

cbettag New Member

yes I've tried the mfg's drivers (downloaded from the igo.com website), but:

1. They didn't work very well on the Q9c (not as well as the already included driver)
    2. They don't seem to work at all on the Q9n. Post install, the driver cannot connect with the keyboard via bluetooth.
  5. MOTO MANIAC

MOTO MANIAC New Member

how about how you paired the devive? try a different method like choose something different in the discovery. did you select all devices? or computer/keyboards/etc ? try a different type. my laser keyboard seems to work fine. but i may also be running a different s/w than you.lets compare.
  6. doctorq2u

doctorq2u New Member

Did you guy know you can use your PC's keyboard/mouse if you have Mobiler installed.
    You may be able to control more functions with the PC keyboard/ Mouse than you using can using the Q’s keyboard. Sometimes you can use touch screen commands.
    I am still finding shortcuts. Someone should post a list of shortcuts.
  7. n99hockey

yea but then you have to be attached to a computer so at the point why use the pc keyboard to use the Q when you can just use the pc
  8. doctorq2u

doctorq2u New Member

yea but if you have to connect your phone to a mini keyboard you might as well use a laptop and PDANet :2cool:
  9. n99hockey

perhaps...
    but as a business traveler i dont always like to take my laptop with me...
    so why should i have to use my laptop if my phone already has data on it?

so say im on a train and want to type a report and dont feel like lugging my laptop with me i can just whip out this little keyboard and go to town..or having to take the damn laptop out at every security check point at the airport (major PITA)

granted..i dont HAVE a BT keyboard..its not always cut and dry just playing devils advocate
  10. cbettag

cbettag New Member

Yes - Scott's pointing out the exact way I use my Q. Or, more typical - I am sitting in someone's office/lobby waiting for an appointment, and I want to reply to some longer / more detailed emails. Since I don't have my laptop with me (after all, I'm just running out for some appt), I whip out my Q, open up my BT mini-keyboard, and start typing. It's beautiful. Except it's not working on the Q9n right now...
  11. cbettag

cbettag New Member

I have not yet tried multiple pairings yet. Will be out of town for a few days on vacation, so may (or may not) be able to try this out.

Regarding your other points:

Software version on mine is: NAPNOFTS_BP_C_01.01.00R, NAP_AP_01.30.00R

I don't mind buying a new keyboard if necessary, but I'd really like a tactile (mechanical) keyboard instead of a project one (assuming that's what your laser keyboard is)...