extended battery vs regular battery

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by BigDaddySean, Oct 9, 2006.

1. BigDaddySean

BigDaddySean New Member

extended battery vs regular battery

didn't think it was worth it when i got my q at verizon .. they offered it for $25 ..

is it worth it?

Just with playing with the phone off and on, I lose about 2 bars every 4 to 6 hours, and that's without any talk time.

What type of extra life do you guys get from the extended batteries?
  2. GWK

GWK New Member

I had the sameproblem until I turned off the IR beam now I get a day or two depending on phone use.
  3. bcjanes

bcjanes New Member

Turning off the IR Beam makes a *huge* difference in battery life for me.
    Much better with it turned off, I'd say double the battery life.
  4. Jose

Jose New Member

Battery Life

Sorry for this silly question, but where do I find the IR beam control?
  5. BigDaddySean

BigDaddySean New Member

ir beam is in start -> settings -> connections -> beam right?

mine is off ..

I charged my phone to complete last night at 11:00. I use the phone as my morning alarm ..

I also have auto push active sync running.

I get into work this morning and the battery is at 1 bar! didn't use the phone at all.

Is this what I should expect with this phone?

I love this phone, it's awesome, but battery life is a pain!
  6. bcjanes

bcjanes New Member

Do you use bluetooth? If not, turn that off, that helps too. I get 2 to 2 and a half days between charges on the extended battery, and In that time I use the internet for about an hour total, and talk about 2 hours, and use the contacts list a *lot*. I have the IR beam turned off and bluetooth turned off and no micro sd card installed.
  7. ozzysjeep

ozzysjeep New Member

For the piece of mind, I would buy the battery. You should always have a back up. My two cents today.
  8. tj!2k6

tj!2k6 New Member

If you're out-and-about all day, and don't necessarily have access to a charging mechanism, the extended battery is a solid investment. There is no way the standard battery would last me from 9AM til 9PM. Even with bluetooth and IR turned off. Sad.
  9. torgo

torgo New Member

I definitely recommend the extended battery, especially at that price. I use mine exclusively now.
  10. GWK

GWK New Member

I agree with the others, buy the extended for the inexpensive price while it is available. I do not use mine often, but when you need a backup battery, (like when you are in a non digital area) you need it. It is definately cheap insurance.
  11. seidioseidio

seidioseidio New Member

Just an FYI - Seidio will be releasing a 3200mAh battery in the very near future. For those interested, the info can be found at the link below.

https://www.seidioonline.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=471

David
    davidsilver@seidio.com
  12. tucker

tucker New Member

Buy the desktop charger

I agree about having a backup battery. Personally, however, I find the extended battery changes the weight and feel of the Q too much, so I bought a second standard battery and the desktop charger.

At night I charge both batteries (one in the phone and one in the back of the charger). During the day if the phone's battery indicator drops to one bar I swap out the batteries to avoid the Q losing power altogether.

Maybe I'm being too finicky about the weight and size of the extended battery, but the ultra-slim form factor and ultralight weight are two of the reasons I chose the Q over the Blackberry in the first place.
  13. thegasguru

thegasguru New Member

The extended battery IS being offered for a very cheap price.

But I too love my Q because of the thin and small profile of the device, and just could not bear to give it a beer gut with the extended battery. As for the Seido ultra-long battery mentioned above...cripes, I'd be afraid it would look like my Q had a woody! No thanks!

Turning off IR beam and bluetooth when not in use makes a gi-normous improvement in battery life. So does putting the Task Manager app on a speed dial location, so you can open it easily and kill apps you're not using. If you inadvertently have a battery hog app open all day that you forgot to close, like the camera app, it can suck you're battery dry.

Finally, if you spend time in areas that have weak coverage, your battery will drain like crazy. Trying to acquire and reacquire a phone signal is one of the most battery intensive things the device can do. Unfortunately, there's not much you can do about that. In my case, I work in a hospital. There is NO cell provider that can penetrate the lead-lined walls of the ORs, so I just turn my phone off while I'm in there. Not a great option for a lot of people, but when I have the radio part of the phone off and use it just for a PDA during the day, the battery lasts, like, forever.
  14. seidioseidio

seidioseidio New Member

It always comes down to a tradeoff: original form factor, or increased battery life. The nice thing about extended batteries is twofold: you have the extra time and, since the overall capacity of the battery is larger, you don't have to recharge nearly as often. While that may seem a bit redundant, the point is that every battery has a finite amount of times that it can be fully charged and keep that charge for an optimal period. Battery cells, like everything else in life, wear out and that time eventually becomes shorter. With an extended battery, you have the increased up time and a longer product life due to not hitting that battery wall for a much longer period of time.

David
    davidsilver@seidio.com
  15. qwho

qwho New Member

I diabled the IR beam and bluetooth, and I am amazed at how much longer the battery lasts.

Also, is there a way to disable pocket msn from loading automatically? I never use it but somehow it is often loaded when i open the task manager. I figure that is sapping the battery at least a little.<_<
  16. Unearthed

Unearthed New Member

Regular battery just doesn't cut it for me. I bought the extended battery when I purchased the phone but wasn't sure if I was really going to use it or not. Even after turning everything off like people say I only get a day or less of the standard one. The extended gives me two.
  17. themacjunkie

themacjunkie New Member

does anyone have a pic of a motoQ with the extended batt installed, i would like to see how much of a difference in size it makes.
  18. qwho

qwho New Member

It isnt the size the kills it for me, the extended battery cover is very loose and chincy.
  19. themacjunkie

themacjunkie New Member

that sux, ive only had the phone for like 4 days and i like everything about it exept the shitty battery life, it wont even last me half a day. i was planing on getting a 2gb micro sd card to use it as an mp3 player but im sure if i do that ill be lucky to get an hour out of it.
  20. E Q

E Q New Member

battery life blows

I can't imagine not having the extended battery- if you use these things the way they are intended to be used, you can't even put an 8 hour day in without having to plug in. I would almost consider it a design defect.