Extended Battery Cover

Discussion in 'Motorola Q Accessories' started by Montero, Jul 19, 2006.

1. Montero

Montero New Member

Extended Battery Cover

Okay, so after 4 days of having an extended battery, I can honestly say that I now understand the complaints I've read regarding the battery cover and it's extreme chintziness. This is quite possibly the cheapest bit of trim on any consumer electronics I've ever seen/felt; If this was a Happy Meal toy, it would be inappropriate and a let-down.

Beyond feeling cheap (thin, flexible & brittle--- an impressive trifecta), it also squeaks (that horrible plastic-on-plastic squeak that I thought was well in the past).

It makes the phone feel cheap; I've had a few acquaintances comment on it when they asked to look at my new phone. Not impressive.

I'd almost like to see someone do a replacement aftermarket cover... any chances of this?

Better yet, an aluminum cover that can cover the extended battery, with additional storage "above" the new battery for mini-SD cards.
  2. sbrinson

sbrinson New Member

I'm glad to know that it isn't just mine. I'm going to try and fashion some thin foam between the battery and the door to make it more stable. It is certainly a let down!!!!
  3. TAG1976

TAG1976 New Member

That Is Hillarious!!

Unfortunately they are all like that.
  4. Q estion

Q estion New Member

dude, honestly..if it had little pegs that slide in at the top to hold it down better it would be fine..but i know what you mean. i feel that.
  5. veroson

veroson New Member

someone said they used something like poster putty to give it a firmer attachment. Alos scrapbooking tabs. Chintzy, but might work.
  6. Dubbal R

Dubbal R New Member

It could have been worse...

I'm with you on the "cheap" tip. I dropped my phone on the couch and the cover came off!!

After a slight moment of pissitvity, I thought to myself, "At least I didn't pay $60 for this"
  7. sbagdan

sbagdan New Member

I agree with the big battery, and here is how I use it. When at home and around the house I use the Big battery, when I go out, it is ALWAYS the slim battery. (I have the desktop charger so charging spare batteries is easy). I have (2) big batteries, so one lives full charged in the car as a backup and the other is in the house (I rotate these every 2 weeks). I also have the car charger, so when driving, it is easy to leave phone plugged in. I have only had to go to the big battery OUTSIDE the house ONCE... That was when I was in the hospital visiting a dying friend, and while in the waiting room, I wated TV via ORB and my Media Center.

Don't know if that helps anyone, but agian...

Just my 2 cents.. :)
  8. devodevo

devodevo New Member

I was disappointed as well. It always feels lose in my hand. Now I don't feel so stupid scrunching up little pieces of post-it-note paper and putting it under the cover. Poster putty sounds like a good idea.
  9. andersonwittekind

andersonwittekind New Member

Where did you find the desktop charger? I have been looking all over online and haven't been able to find one.
  10. sbagdan

sbagdan New Member

Called my Verizon Corp. Rep. and she shipped it to me next day.
  11. Dubbal R

Dubbal R New Member

Did you mean this?

Hope this helps.
  12. veroson

veroson New Member

I finally ordered Mine at motorola for $29 w/ 10% off coupon. They were out of stock for a while there.

Right now i have no way to charge my ext battery except attached to the Q, but soon as my charger arrives (tomorrow) I plan to use my extended battery like sbagdan -- extended in the house and the slim battery for out of house . Then i can keep a battry charging
  13. mag703

mag703 New Member

I saw two of them in one of the local BestBuy stores the other day. You can also buy 'em online from http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?item=accessoryMart&action=viewAccessoriesByPhone&selectedPhoneId=2303&make=Motorola&model=Q™. Both were $39.99.

Motorola's online accessory store has it for $29.99. That's here: Dual Pocket Desktop Charging Station - buy direct - Motorola Shop US
  14. quebert

quebert New Member

sorry to revive a dead thread, but I got a Q and the extended battery recently, WOW the cover sucks. I mean the one that comes with the phone is pretty cheap feeling, especially when the rest of the phone feels so solidly made.

I'd pay 15-20 bucks for an aftermarket battery cover (non extended even...) that didn't make my $419 phone feel like a toy.

I like the extended battery for the house, normal for outside idea. But, I'm not the most careful person in the world, and I honestly don't think eitherof the two battery covers would last long with me doing daily swaps.
  15. bpatt

bpatt New Member

Thought this a dozen times - I couldn't have said it better myself!