EVDO Speed Check

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by itzhobbes, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Marvelous Merv

Marvelous Merv New Member

That sounds suspitiously like your phone either was in, or slipped into, 1x versus EVDO mode...it MAY have been in EVDO when you plugged in, but slipped down to 1x at some point during your session. That happens to me in marginal coverage areas...
  2. 2turbos

2turbos New Member

ok im not wit sprint or anything, im wit cellular south.. why in the hell am i only getting like 100kbs on average.. thought all wirless internet has high speed. think its my carrier or what? wanna get more info before i go up there and talk to them cause it takes forever to talk to someone..
  3. marsoddy

marsoddy New Member

I got 221 kbps with Ev. :frown:

Can someone explain to me the difference between Ev, EVDO and 1x? Why does it change on my phone and which one is faster, etc.?

I tried watching Sprint tv last night and there was a lot of lagging in the video. I wasn't sure what speed to tell it to stream.
  4. alexithemoi

alexithemoi New Member

Alright. Ev is an abbreviation for EVDO, which is itself an abreviation. EVDO is a highspeed internet transfer via cell towers. 1x is the same kind of thing but slower. It shifts between on your phone for a few reasons. Probably in your case you're in either area where the EV coverage is poor for reasons of traffic or distance from the tower; or you live in a dumpy basement apartment.
  5. 2turbos

2turbos New Member

well i right beside my tower and still only run at 100kbps. mine doesn't say if im running in 1X or EVDO..
  6. marsoddy

marsoddy New Member

It must be the traffic or interference from my Dish TV or satellite radio? No dumpy basement apartment, LOL. I have seen all three speed indicators on my Q at one time or another.
  7. Marvelous Merv

You could only have seen two - Ev or 1x. Thats all Verizon has. The Q doesn't have an analog radio.
  8. marsoddy

marsoddy New Member

I have Sprint, and I swear I have seen EVDO.
  9. Marvelous Merv

Ev and EVDO are the same thing. Perhaps on the Sprint branded phone the user interface spells out "EVDO" versus the Ev abbreviation - they are the same thing.
  10. DTS BeLieVeD

DTS BeLieVeD New Member

I also have cellularsouth. They're are only 5 places in Mississippi that have EvDO with them right now. The closest one is in north Jackson by the new cellularsouth head courters building. I live 45 minutes away from there though :frown:. but if you live in Memphis or on the beach I hear there are atleast one or two towers there, but cellularsouth is slowly upgrading so... give them about 6 months. I get really crappy speed with them too so...

but if your unsure if your getting EvDO on your home screen type in ##* and call it...then go to field test menu and change HDR Preferences to EvDO only. If you get no service then you dont have it. DONT FORGET TO CHANGE IT BACK THOUGH! If you dont your phone will stay at no service.

Also if it wont let you change it reactivate your phone. It's *22807 with cellularsouth.
  11. DTS BeLieVeD

DTS BeLieVeD New Member

1148 kbit/sec

0.195s latency
    7.282s d/l time.

cellularsouth Jackson, MS
  12. 1c3phr34q

1c3phr34q New Member

I also have Cellular South and recently moved from Hattiesburg to Olive Branch (Memphis Area). Went from about 33kbps in Hattiesburg to an average of 780kbps in the EVDO coverage area I now reside in. Before I moved I had found in the anwers center of their web site the estimated schedule for the EVDO roll out but I can't seem to find it now. I know they're putting up alot of EVDO up in 2008 so keep your fingers crossed that they'll be putting it in your area. I never could enjoy YouTube on my phone before I moved but now I can stream video all day without a single hickup!
  13. the lurch 1986

the lurch 1986 New Member

848 kbit/sec
    0.388s latency
    jax, florida
  14. richardt22

richardt22 New Member

Sulster, I got the same message as you. How did you get your speed test to work? I selected today but it appears to give me the days results of all users.
  15. sulster

sulster Active Member

Yikes--I haven't looked at this in so long, I have no clue... Sorry! I can try to do it again, but right now I'm dealing with random cutting off and trying to get to the bottom of that... when I get that fixed, I'll come back to this! :)
  16. 2turbos

2turbos New Member

yeah im getting maybe an average of 85kbs and it sucks. they need to hurry up with the towers for cellular south
  17. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

At www.dslreports.com/mspeed? I picked 100k then it says thats too unstable or something and should re-direct to larger files. Then choose 1mb and it should work everytime. I made it a favorite at the larger file screen.

I'm usually in the 650kbit/sec range...no hacks.
  18. tomloder

tomloder New Member

I just retested, and have been getting about
    300-350 on average
    .635s latency
    22.683s d/l

I did get 650 with one test
  19. Qborough

Qborough New Member

Result from queens, nYc.

Sever Fluctuations:

260-560
    .458 L
    16.535 d/l

nyc
  20. Q Moto

Q Moto New Member

Oh NICE TreeFrog, and thanks!

I just kept clicking "Speed Test" and ignored the "GO" file/speed selections available.

So I clicked on 1MB over and over and cannot get lower than 997 kbit/sec; 0.22s latency; 8.433s d/l time. That was my lowest and with just 3 bars on the indicator. (BTW, that was on EV and Im in Arkansas. Ive only seen 1X once, and I was in a metal building out of town.)

What is the max kb/s possible on EV?