Enable QNC

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by aznmsoong, Dec 31, 2007.

1. aznmsoong

aznmsoong New Member

Enable QNC

Can anyone post the steps clearly on how to do so

I have enabled Dialup Networking in the Settings/Connections Menu

I also have tried using QPST, and tried changing the IP to simple,
    so anyone know please help

Happy New Years
  2. aznmsoong

aznmsoong New Member

bump anyone
    QNC?
  3. bonchien

bonchien New Member

It's no problem to enable a qnc connection. First, you have to be on Simple IP only and you have to have qnc enabled. Do this with either RSD General (easiest) on the Mobile IP tab to enable qnc and on the RTT data tab to enable qnc or in QPST service programming. In both programs, you'll need to read from phone, make adjustments then write to your phone. Second, go to the engineering menu by entering ##073887* then press Send and enter a password of 000000 (Verizon and other firmwares except for Sprint). Change your data rate to 14.4/14.4. If you have enabled the dial up connections menu, make a new dial up connection for qnc. You should have it dial #777, login name is qnc and password is qnc. Have it connect to the internet and make sure any other dial up connection connects to something else like Secure Wap network or work. Now, you should be able to go to IE and enter a web site address and connect using qnc. I do this all the time with my Page Plus account on my Q. If it doesn't connect, you may need to force it to ask for a password using the password registry hack.
  4. aznmsoong

aznmsoong New Member

Yeah im trying to set it up on a Q
    I got the first to setup
    like simple ip
    MDR only
    Pre 707

I cant get the data rate to stay

I tried connecting with Pocket IE
    keep getting an error
    The Line is busy
    Dont know how to fix that
  5. bonchien

bonchien New Member

It sounds like you're either not on Simple IP only or don't have QNC enabled. You need to be sure you set your phone Simple IP Only, not both (mobile & simple fallback in QPST) or Mobile IP only. If your phone is set on either of the latter, the 14.4 data rate won't stick and you'll get the line is busy error. Be sure to read your phone's settings after changing them to make sure they stick.

On QPST's data tab, be sure Data QNC has a check mark by it. You can keep service option at Svc Opt 33 preferred and IS 707 and qnc will work.
  6. aznmsoong

aznmsoong New Member

So far I set it to simple IP and check the QNC box
    and the data rates are sticking now

Still the line is busy
    I have created a dialup menu for Qnc/qnc #777 connect to internet (left domain blank)

im using a ampd black moto q on Pageplus as well
  7. bonchien

bonchien New Member

Make sure that only your qnc dial up connection is set to connect to the internet and the other dial-up connections are set to connect to Work, Wap network or Secure Wap network. In IE, go to Menu>Options>Connections and under Select Network, make sure The Internet is selected. I have Automatically detect settings checked, but I'm not sure if that is needed.

If this doesn't get it working, make sure on QPST's data tab that the Pkt Dial String is set to #777.

BTW, I've gotten the qnc connection working on my phone using firmware for Verizon, Vivo and Alltel. So, I don't think there's any carrier specific info. required. Although, I don't know if Amp'd would have done something specific. Does your phone have any proxy listings? I have none.
  8. aznmsoong

aznmsoong New Member

Hmm the data rate stays at 14.4/14.4 and I have onyl QNC on dialup set to "the internet"

I tried setting the Sv707 and MDR only but they do not seem to stick
    they change to no MDR when i try opening a page in IE
  9. bonchien

bonchien New Member

Are you still getting the line is busy error message or an login error message?

If it's a login error message, try doing a registry edit to HKLM\Comm|ConnMgr\Providers\(7C487A38-4bc1-80F6-5DA7870BB1AA)\Connections\(your QNC Connection Name) and change RequirePw from 0 to 1. This will force IE to prompt for a password to login.

If you're getting a line is busy error message, I don't know why it's not working, but here's some thoughts. Try running RSD General to change the settings as this is how I changed mine. Do a google search for it as it's copyrighted software or try checking on mobile-files.com. You need RSD General 4.9.8 if you have IE 6 on your windows computer and you need RSD General 5.x.x (like 5.1.6) if you have IE 7 on your windows computer. You do not run a virtual serial port with RSD General, just plug in your phone to your USB cable, let Actisync start and start RSD General. It is slow, but it works. You may have to remove your battery to turn off your phone after running RSD General. Once you have RSD General running, read RTT Data from the phone. Make sure that QNC is enabled and that Packet Data Auto Detection is set to No. It sounds like your phone is detecting packet data and won't connect using switched data (QNC).

You might also check this thread on HOFO which goes into some detail on getting qnc working on page plus with a Q. You can post and fixup might have some thoughts.
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1267500
  10. aznmsoong

aznmsoong New Member

The registry didnt need a change Im trying the other way you said
  11. aznmsoong

aznmsoong New Member

I tried it still no luck

maybe you see something in these pictures I did wrong?

PPP settings not sure
    So far I have dialup in menu (qnc,qnc #777 connect to internet)
    no proxys or vpn
    IE connect to internet

data rate 14.4/14.4

Attached Files:

12. bonchien

bonchien New Member

The only difference I notice is your data service option is set to Pre IS-707 SO while mine is set to IS-707 SO.

Here's what I have on the Mobile IP and RTT Data tabs in RSD General when I had qnc working on the Verizon firmware:

Mobile IP:
    Mobile IP Behavior: Simple IP Only
    Initial Registration Retry Interval(ms): 1750
    Registration Retries: 2
    Pre-lifetime-expiry Re-registration(min): 0
    QC optimized dormant handoff: checked
    Mobile Node-HA Authentication: RFC2002bis
    MN_Authenticator(hex): 800100
    DMU Public Key: 10
    Network Access ID(NAI): xxxxxxxxxx@vzw3g.com (x's are my phone number)
    Reverse Tunneling: checked
    Home Address Shared Secret: Retain last value checked
    MN HA SPI Set: checked
    MN HA SPI Value: 12c
    AAA Shared Secret: Retain last value checked
    MN AAA SPI Set: checked
    MN AAA SPI Value: 2
    IP Address: 000.000.000.000
    DNS Primary: 255.255.255.255
    DNS Secondary: 255.255.255.255
    (profile has the same info. as above)

RTT Data:
    QNC Enabled: Enabled
    MDR Mode: LSPD
    SCRM'ing Status: Yes
    R_SCH Throttling Status: Yes
    Packet Data Auto Detection: No
    Preferred Radio Config: RC3
    Data Service Option Set: IS-707 SO
    Primary DNS: 0.0.0.0
    Secondary DNS: 0.0.0.0​
    Dial String: #777
    PDC User Name: ??????????m
    PDC Password: ?????????????????
    PAP/PPP User Name: xxxxxxxxxx@vzw3g.com (x's are my phone number)
    PAP/PPP Password: ½è*ãùð‰‰®®®±åêc
    (The PDC and PPP user name and ID shouldn't matter for QNC)

If these don't make QNC work, I have a couple other thoughts. I've heard that some folks have to disable EVDO to get QNC to work. Try dialling ##* send. Go to Field Test Menu>HDR Preference and change it to CDMA Only. You might also have to change HDR Hybrid to Off.

The last time I was in Los Angeles, there were huge QNC dead zones. Pretty much all of Long Beach and a big section along the 210 freeway from Irwindale to Pasadena even though my phone showed EVDO or 1XRTT data. You might be in a QNC dead zone. I think Verizon might disable QNC on busy towers to give more bandwidth to their other services. Try taking your phone to a different area to see if QNC will work in a different area.

If you're not in a dead zone, you could flash your phone to a different firmware. I've used the Verizon, Vivo and Alltel firmwares on my phone and they all connect to qnc. I'm currently using Alltel because I have Alltel on NAM2 for high speed data and PP on NAM1 for voice. Verizon won't activate smart phones on their Inpulse plan and I had previously activated my old Amp'd e816 on Alltel, so I switched my Q to that line.
  13. aznmsoong

aznmsoong New Member

14. bonchien

bonchien New Member

QNC doesn't use the NAI login information. My phone has mynumber@alltel.net and qnc works fine. You'll probably need to change it when and if PP gets data, but until then, it's not used for QNC.
  15. aznmsoong

aznmsoong New Member

Very weird but its working now
    but i didnt do any of those changes and such
    what are the limitations of QNC?
  16. bonchien

bonchien New Member

Hmm, must not be a firmware issue. Perhaps it is Verizon. QNC on the Q has a maximum speed of 14.4 K as you probably figured out since you have to set your data speed to that. I think QNC can go up to 19.2 K, but not the way we set it up on the Q. You can't make or receive a call while browsing the web, but you will get messages alerting you to new voice mails, etc. There's no data charges on Page Plus when using QNC, so it's Free :laugh2:
  17. aznmsoong

aznmsoong New Member

Yeah its all good except it drains the battery but its free
    but downloads sometimes freezes and have to be restart