Emergency Mode Hot Key - Dialing 911 on Accident

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by curtis.schuler@tx.rr.com, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Emergency Mode Hot Key - Dialing 911 on Accident

Yesterday, I was playing golf and I had my Q in my back pocket. I then took it out to put it in the cup holder in the cart and it started to ring when I was in the middle of my shot - go figure. I received a message and it was 911 for the local city I was in. The Q displayed the message on the phone - "Emergency Mode". I then unlocked my phone to look at the outgoing calls and it didn't show any phone calls to "911" or other.

I have tried Motorola's support website in addition to everythingQ, but no luck in finding someone else who has had the same problem. This is the 3rd time I have had this problem - ironically the other 2 times were also playing golf. My phone was in my back pocket each time.

Thoughts? Does anyone know the keys you press to do this on purpose versus on accident while the phone is locked? I can't seem to find that information.

Curtis
  2. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

never heard of this happening and/or what key that would be..
  3. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

yea i didnt even know there was an emergency mode
  4. FYI - Once in the "Emergency Mode", I had to turn off the phone and back on to clear it. The 911 operator told me to call back if it was truly an emergency.

The first time this happened, I actually spoke to the 911 operator and I thought it was a prank. Then, it happened about 10 minutes later again and it was the same dispatch operator. I simply told her I had no clue how or why it happened.

Just in case you are thinking it is the phone, I am on my 3rd Q9c since it first happened. I do find it odd that Motorola nor Sprint have posted anything about this feature. I have tried re-creating sitting on the phone by pressing all of the keys to duplicate it unsuccessfully. Weird.

BTW - Thanks for all for all of the Q and Q9c hacks gents. You guys are great!
  5. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

you're welcome...

and can you re-produce the phone going in "emergency mode" ?
  6. No - It has happened on accident 3 times now.

FYI - If you download the Q9C User Guide, and search for "Emergency" - It states -

Note: You can make emergency calls on a locked
    phone. A locked phone still rings or vibrates for
    incoming calls or messages, and you do not need to
    unlock it to answer

It says that, but doesn't share info as to how to make an emergency call.

On a side note and just a suggestion on the hacks, it would be great if the site allowed for sub-topics specifically related to the hacks. It does suck to weed through the one "Hack" topic to re-find all of the hacks each time you get a new phone. At least the sub-topic would allow you to easily find the hack you are looking for.
  7. Vampyr1

Vampyr1 New Member

that means you can dial 911 and hit talk without having to unlock the phone first to activate the keypad. This has pretty much been standard on all cellphones for years. That way if you have your phone locked and password protected a person could still use it to dial 911 in an emergency without having to deal with unlocking the keypad and knowing your password.
  8. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

yup... you are correct, locked the Q and entered 911.. a screen pops up that says "911 An emergency number was entered. Press TALK to call. Or press the Cancel key to cancel"..
  9. Funny, I didn't think of trying just dialing 911 and Enter. The odds of hitting that correctly sitting in my pocket would have to be pretty high. I am curious as there must be a hotkey or hotkeys that do the same thing when pressed.

Plus, just by dialing 911 - Enter would put the phone in an "Emergency Mode"? I would bet by dialing 911, it would show up in your Recent # dialed. Remember that each time there was no "911" number dialed for me in the recent.

I am tempted to make a call on purpose to duplicated the symptoms.
  10. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

did you add 911 as a speed dial perhaps ?
  11. I don't have any speed dials set up, so that isn't an option. Plus, the phone is locked so there are only a few keys that do anything.

My guess is you are right about the dialing just 911. That is just an odd sequence and number of keys to hit on accident while sitting on the phone in my pocket in a golf cart.
  12. miguelchin36

miguelchin36 New Member

some states have simpler numbers like *77 or *55 or *(2letters) i tried a few see if could but az is only 911 or and actual number, but maybe sprint programs those based on were you live if available. also 112 is a worldwide emergency number. check this link out see if it helps in anyway.

http://www.wildlandfire.com/docs/2003_n_before/emergency_cell.htm
  13. darkdomino

darkdomino New Member

the verizon phones when they go into emergency mode, it switches on the GPS even if you have it turned off, so your phone can be located.

it's just a security feature, nothin big I don't think.
  14. rhydian

rhydian New Member

This just happened to me yesterday as well. I was searching the web to see how it happened.
  15. Firegoalie23

Firegoalie23 New Member

I am a 911 dispatcher and most cell phones will dial 911 if the 9 button is held in, at least that is what we were told during a 911 wireless class they gave at work 2 years ago. That may be the case here. Hope this helps.
    Richie
  16. Robert121571

Robert121571 New Member

You are right a lot of older cell phones did have the hold 9 for 911 but most newer ones including the q9c has nothing pre-programed to the 9 as a hot hey. The only two digits set when you get the phone and can't be changed is 1 for voice mail and 0 for operator.