Edit shortcuts in homescreen plugins?

Discussion in 'Moto Q Hacks' started by madmartian, Nov 19, 2007.

1. madmartian

madmartian New Member

Edit shortcuts in homescreen plugins?

I would like to change the shortcuts in homescreen plugins. For example, I would like clicking on the Carrier plugin to do nothing, and I would like clicking the Text Messages plugin to bring up Extreme Text instead of the built-in app. How do you edit the plugin links? Note that I am NOT talking about history icons (I don't use those on my homescreen).
  2. piranah

piranah New Member

Isnt there something in Extreme Text that you can activate that makes it the default SMS program? Go to the menu in extreme text and there should be an option like that.
    Otherwise, if i understand your ? correctly, you cant change plugins. They serve a specific purpose. Say you have the bluetooth plug in on your home screen. Well if you click it, it wouldnt make sense for it to go to Active Sync. You can create shortcuts to programs on your home screen. Check out our homescreen thread and see if you like any of the available options.
  3. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

1st thing you want needs to be edited in the home screen .xml you are using.. second is what piranah said, it is a setting in eXtreme Text.

history icons is a good name for the MRU :}
  4. madmartian

madmartian New Member

I am aware I need to edit the homescreen.xml to select plugins, but you can't change the links for existing plugins there. Changing the links is either somewhere in the registry, or would require the plugin sourcecode and recompiling. Haven't looked into how to create plugins from scratch yet so not sure.

Indeed Extreme Text has a setting, but this does not make it the default - it brings up a menu asking you which text editor you wish to use, a step I would like to skip.
  5. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

part one.. not sure what you mean here.

XT, easiest way to do what you want is assign a speed dial.
  6. madmartian

madmartian New Member

I really want to know how to change the links in the homescreen plugins. Please forget that I used examples.
  7. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

if with links you mean that it goes to a certain program/application, then yes i do believe you can change those or get rid of those..
  8. madmartian

madmartian New Member

yep, that's what I mean. Anyone know how?
  9. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

as i said, you need to edit the .xml...
  10. madmartian

madmartian New Member

If you think you can change an embedded link in a plugin, please tell me how. Links do not appear in the xml, so unless you can set an override link in the xml, that is not the place to do it. Check the xml for your homescreen and you will find no links.
  11. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

when i first got the Q1 i changed the 2 links that are on the default Verizon home screen, currently i won't find links in my homescreen because there are none :}

show me your homescreen (screen shot) so i know what you exactly mean.
  12. piranah

piranah New Member

from my old homescreen:

<button action="run" command="\Windows\Start Menu\WordPad.lnk" image="\Application Data\Home\myPhone\mediasmall.jpg"/>
    <format state="activeSelected" image="\Application Data\Home\myPhone\mediabig.jpg"/>
    <button action="run" command="\Windows\Start Menu\WordPad.lnk" image="\Application Data\Home\myPhone\notes2.jpg"/>
    <format state="activeSelected" image="\Application Data\Home\myPhone\notes2LG.jpg"/>
    <button action="run" command="\Windows\Start Menu\Bluetooth\Bluetooth Manager.lnk" image="\Application Data\Home\myPhone\bluetoothsmall.jpg"/>

Is this what you are talking about? you can edit certain plugins, like facade, you can change links in there, but others you cant.
  13. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

@ piranah: i think he means that but i was not yet sure... thanks for chiming in.
  14. piranah

piranah New Member

happy to help, got nothing to do on thanksgiving break, so ill be here a looottt:wacko:
  15. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

thanksgiving break... wth, can i sign up for that :}
  16. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

lol so i wont tell you that my boss closed our office from christmas eve to the day after new years :tounge:
  17. madmartian

madmartian New Member

I can't get that code to work. I altered it to use my links and jpgs and still no go. Can you post the whole xml file text?

Thanks.
  18. madmartian

madmartian New Member

Also, here is what I was refering to. Below is the Carrier plugin. If you click on this plugin on the homescreen, it takes you to the Bluetooth/Phone screen. There is no link to that shortcut contained in the xml, since it is coded into the plugin.

<plugin clsid="{E09043DF-510E-4841-B652-388316977A7A}" name="carrier" height="33">
    <allowselection/>
    <background>
    <format state="selected" bgcolor="COLOR_HOMEHIGHLIGHT"/>
    </background>
    <label font-size="22" >
    <text><carrier/></text>
    </label>
    <label y="21" textwidth="163">
    <text><wifi/></text>
    </label>
    <clock>
    <time y="-5" halign="center" font-size="38" />
    <date y="4" halign="right" font-size="19"/>
    </clock>
    </plugin>
  19. piranah

piranah New Member

Yes ill post it later today. like i said, there are some plugins you can mod, like facade, some you cant like the carrier one..
  20. piranah

piranah New Member

yep you can actually: here