E-mail will not send

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by Glenn J, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Glenn J

Glenn J New Member

Not when you open it up. Its gray.
  2. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

only I got left for you is go into programs\settings and there should be an email option. recreate the account.
  3. Glenn J

Glenn J New Member

I think that's what we'll do. Either that, or a master reset...or both

I want to take it back to the AT&T store and see if they can help. The phone is only about 5 weeks old. Of course, it's passed the 30 day "trial period" :foot:
  4. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

master resets are ugly. you loose it all if you have not backed it up. att should be able to help.
  5. Glenn J

Glenn J New Member

I kinda figured that and wanted to avoid the master reset. Hopefully, AT&T will be able to help. I imagine it's just a settting or two that needs to be tweaked. Aside from the e-mail, the rest of the phone functions just fine. But this one issue really has us pulling our hair out. :angry:
  6. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

did you try to sync with your computer? it may free it up
  7. mworsham

mworsham New Member

Glenn, I have this happen some times on my Q9h with gmail. The message just gets stuck in the outbox and cannot be delivered. I have never had to recreate my account or do a master reset. I just delete the message(s) that won't go, and create a new e-mail from scratch.

I notice that it usually happens to me when I am replying to a long e-mail string. Deleting my reply and starting a new message always gets me going again.

Mark W
  8. Glenn J

Glenn J New Member

Thanks Mark; we'll try that out. There's a lot of good info on this site regarding gmail. Now if I can just figure out why hotmail isn't sending either.

Dafoxs,Haven't synced recently. We don't want to save any potential "bad" settings.
  9. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

yea try to delete some email, it might have gotten stuck or you pulled the plug before it synced all the way
  10. cindra

cindra Active Member

Sounds like it's only affecting the outgoing mail server, although I don't know why all the accounts would be affected at once. Maybe syncing messed with the settings. Check the outgoing mail server settings, you might have to check or uncheck the authentication settings. If it needs authentication, I'd check the use the same settings option and see what happens.

Also check the advanced SMTP settings and see what it's using for network connection. Mine works fine and it's set to "the internet" and not "work".
  11. Glenn J

Glenn J New Member

Update! After deleting gmail and installing it again, it seems to be working.

Hotmail still won't work. It may be time to try removing it and installing it again.

I will also check the SMTP settings as well.
  12. Glenn J

Glenn J New Member

Another update!

I had printed out "How to set up an email accoint on moto-q v 1.6" from motorola. To set up hotmail, it says to click on "pocket MSN". Guess what I don't see on the phone... Is that a carrier thing? We have att.

How does on set up hotmail? I can't set it up like other accounts; you open up messenger and it there neay gmail and yahoo.
  13. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

on mine, I just put in the email address and the phone did all the settings
  14. Glenn J

Glenn J New Member

Tried that. But some other program opened and then it opened what looked like a browser window. Once you closed that, no settings were saved.
  15. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

you have a devil phone.
  16. Glenn J

Glenn J New Member

LMAO!

Anyone know if ATT "hides" Pocket MSN? I have blackberry and att hised blackberry maps. You have to unlock it via the registry.
  17. 47seijar

47seijar New Member

This sounds like a "perfect storm" situation to me. I figure several things happened, all unrelated, at the same or nearly the same time. First, your GMail settings got corrupted. Re-entering the account seemed to clear it up. Judging by all the chatter this is not an uncommon event. As for Hotmail, recently MS started shutting down free access for non-paid accounts. Only the premium accounts and some older "grandfathered" accounts remain accessible. My free account is quite old (pre-2000) and was not grandfathered. Bastards probably know I'm a Mac user.:laugh2:

My guess is that something similar to the GMail account happened to your sync settings. I have had sync issues with various phones dating back to my Palm Treo 600. This is just a problematic technology.
  18. Glenn J

Glenn J New Member

By free access to you mean access to hotmail via mobile phones?

Thanks for the insight! Seems that hotmail may be more of a PIYA than its worth. Easiest solution for my wife may be to transition over to hotmail.
  19. cyberillusion

cyberillusion New Member

The easiest way (in WM6 on the Q9h) to fix the sync issue with hotmail is to launch windows live mobile on your phone and "switch accounts" forcing WLM to re-initiate it's account setup process.

Under "Start" there should be a Windows Live (not Windows Live Search) link in there somewhere. If not. go to Start > My Stuff > My Device > \Windows

Find and highlight the WLMLauncher.lnk file (you could execute it from here, but for easier access and future reference, move it to somewhere more accessible)

Select Menu > File > Copy to...

Then select "\windows\start menu" and hit Done

go back to the home screen and hit Start > WLMLauncher to launch Windows Live Mobile

once WLM starts up, hit Menu > Account Options > Switch Account

Read the note about switching accounts that comes up and select "Yes" and re-enter your hotmail information.

WLM/Hotmail should again be able to synch with the windows live servers.

I hope this helps you out.

NOTE: The launching WLM and "Swtiching Accounts" method was posted by a tech on the WM tech support forums (I can not for the life of me find that post again, I knew I should have bookmarked it)... although, after failing to find the WLM link under start, I was forced to search my phone for it. This solution did resolve my hotmail issue and I hope that it solves yours aswell.
  20. Glenn J

Glenn J New Member

Awesome! Thanks! I was able to create the link and now I'm trying to reset up the hotmail account. It's taking it's sweet time....that spinning circle spins...then stops...spins again....ok, making some progress. (Can you tell I'm typing as I go through this? LOL!) Syncing folders now...

When I went Start > My Stuff > My Device > \Windows, does it usually take a day and week to bring up all the files? It took a good 3-5 minutes for all the files to come up.

Sill working. I'll update more later everyone.