E-mail Issues

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by dnastro, May 16, 2007.

1. SingBar

SingBar New Member

Pop3 Send/Receive

I have been having trouble with my pop3 account that I set up. The incoming/outgoing server addresses are correct. I am able to receive emails every 15 min, but when I reply to emails that were sent or compose a new email myself the sending does not go through and an error message appears telling me that i need to verify that I have network coverage or that my account information is correct then try again.

Everything is correct so I have nothing to fix.... hopefully someone can help!!:frown:
  2. Michael Pursley

Michael Pursley New Member

Here is the way that I have solved the email problem for me. First, you need to know that my phone carrier is Alltel. Your phone carrier may have a different solution. But what I did for me was setup my pop3 account (my pop3 email account is "Knology") to the phone, doing it the standard way from the Q manual, but when it came to the out bound side, I changed the outbound (smtp) to my phone carrier's email (my phone's carrier is "Alltel"), so that the outbound address set up in the phone is: <mail.alltel.net>. ie. Inbound = ***.knology.net and the out bound = ***@mail.alltel.net

Seems wierd but this little trick works. The best part is that the out going email still reads as though being from my regular pop3 provider (knology is my pop3 or email provider). Since I have done this, I have not had a problem sending or reciving now in the last three months! Hope this trick helps you. Good luck!
  3. sashe

sashe New Member

So for those of us who are retarded, what might be that magical outgoing mail server for sprint? Pray Tell... :laugh:

The cows came back home but not body posted a reply.
    Still no out going gmail !
    P-L-E-A-S-E H-E-L-P Unsure
  4. Michael Pursley

I don't know. I would call your phone carrier and ask about Sprint's email address. If you have Sprint, go to Sprint and ask what email address they use for the phone's outgoing email (STMP). and then use that address only for the outgoing portion of your email message.For instance, if the STMP would be Sprint.mail.com then for your outgoing email address, use something like: SASHE@sprint.mail.com> While leaving your gmail pop3 address the same for the incoming portion.

Note: Your phone will still use the GMAIL address as the address from which the email is generated. Don't ask me why...
  5. SingBar

SingBar New Member

I just tried your method for my Sprint PCS Q. I retreived the outbound server from the Sprint website <smtp.sprintpcs.com> and set up the pop account. Inbound worked great, but when i went to reply it said that the receipients were invalid and the message was undeliverable. Am I doing something wrong?
  6. SingBar

SingBar New Member

Sprint's is <smtp.sprintpcs.com>
  7. SingBar

SingBar New Member

Having the same problem with my triad.rr.com account
  8. Michael Pursley

Maybe, but maybe not. Make sure that you are using the sprint protocols for their outgong email. You may want to call them call them on that. Sometimes the carriers filters mess up the outgoing software of the phone. the only other issue I can think of to check, is if you have the correct email address of the person you are sending an email to.
  9. SingBar

SingBar New Member

Yea I got the correct emails, these are straight replies that I'm trying to send back out. I think Sprint is blocking it for some reason. Thats why we keep getting the "Undeliverable" message.
  10. toolman157

toolman157 New Member

AMAZING!! I have called alltel repeatedly and have been without email for past month with no solution in sight. After reading this post BINGO changed outgoing to what u posted and all is well!! This forum is the shiz nit!! BTW, can u send pics as attachments to regular phones? What i mean is will the recieving phone know to convert from .img file to fit the recieving phone? Just curious. I sent a pic to my computer from my phone and it worked fine but i'm wondering about sending pics to regular phones like joeblow@sprintpcs.com. Alltel tech support=worthless. This forum=awsome
  11. SingBar

SingBar New Member

On with a sprint rep right now, we'll see what happens. Hard to believe this only works for Alltel customers!
  12. Michael Pursley

Have not tried to end any pics yet. let me know how it goes!:smile:
  13. SingBar

SingBar New Member

Well I was told that the service I was wanting was unavailable. And I needed to open up a tech support ticket. Great!
  14. toolman157

toolman157 New Member

Just tried to send pic to another alltel phone and no dice. the phone couldnt open the pic. there has to be a way to convert .img files to mms files somehow.
  15. Michael Pursley

SingBar, they got to have email for a Q! You were getting email in?!!!!
    I think that you just got an idiot. Call the store where you got it. Those guys might be able to help. Also, you may want to try an independent store, those guys may not have sold you the phone but, they can sell an accessory. They might be able to help you and give you some guidance. Good Luck!!!
  16. SingBar

SingBar New Member

Yea this lady definitely seemed like the idiot type. I may try again, and see if I get another person.
  17. SingBar

SingBar New Member

18. SingBar

SingBar New Member

Problem resolved, thanks for no help Sprint tech support!
  19. redtop91

redtop91 New Member

You'll never get any problem on the Q fixed by tech Support. You'll need ATS. And judging by some of the people under my head count soon enough you'll be lucky to find an ATS rep who knows WTH they are doing.
  20. edward

edward New Member

Here's what solved my Sprint outgoing email problem

I"ve had this email problem for over a week now, (after I performed a hard reset to solve AnOTHer issue!) and after reading all of these threads and trying solutions I finally went into Sprint store for tech support. I found that I couldn't use the same INBOUND email server (Cox, in my case) as OUTBOUND. My inbound has been working fine, my outbound would not send.
    HERE'S WHAT SOLVED MY OUTGOING EMAIL PROBLEM....
    First...you'll probably have to call Sprint Tech Support to create a password. (My tech rep did this for me while I was in the Sprint store). If you have to call them, you might as well have them set up your email while you have them on the phone.
    BUT...If you know your Sprint user name and password, here's the set up steps that worked for me:
    Messaging^menu^options^account options^select your email account (mine is Cox)^next^next^next^change "outgoing server" to smtp.sprintpcs.com...check the box "Outgoing server requires authentication". Select "outgoing server" and check the box "Use different user name for outgoing server". You should have a Sprint user name...enter that name in the "User name" field. Enter your password. Press "done". Test it.
    Hope this helps....