Dust build-up inside the screen.

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by extremum, Nov 3, 2008.

1. xerocalibur

xerocalibur New Member

Good news everybody! Stopped by a Verizon store yesterday and talked to a clerk about my phone, she got tech on the line and talked to them about it... and they're sending me a replacement phone, because of the dust issue! So I guess it doesn't hurt to ask sometimes.
  2. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

Good to hear, hope the new one works for you.
  3. kernelsandirs

kernelsandirs New Member

I have cleaned my own screen 2 times now, the last time was about one month ago, here is a shot of what mine looks like after one month, Sprint wold not replace mine for me, even though I complained about 20 days after I got it, they told me a tech could clean it for me, so I took it in on about day 25(I had 30 days to get a replacement(no extended warranty)) they cleaned it and a week later dust was starting to come back pretty bad, I called again and even though I had a documented issue before the 30 days they refused to replace the phone. My wife has the same phone, and has had it for almost 6 months now, with no dust. so in about 6 months today will be the 4th cleaning this phone has had :-( I love the phone, hate the dust, and hate Sprint's customer (lack of) service.

I will not be with Sprint after this 2 year contract is up, (or I get too fed up and just cancel) Sprint your new CEO is a BS sham, no one really cares thats why Sprint has always been rated so low in customer service. When I had AT&T the replaced a phone for free after 120 days even when I should have had only 30 days, AT&T were always great, they just cost me $20/month more however you get what you pay for I guess.

(those lines at 45 degrees on a couple of the corers are just the protective film I put on, and after a while the corners peel up so I snip off the corners, I assure you every spec of dust in the blurry picture are between the glass and the lcd and nothing to do with the surface or the film)

Attached Files:

4. rfarrah

rfarrah New Member

Wow, that is the worse case of dust I've seen. No wonder you're upset - I would be, too!
  5. kernelsandirs

kernelsandirs New Member

just cleaned my screen(again) now I am spec free for a few days, weird thing I checked all the gaps I could find, but I don't see any gaps large enough to let that much dust under the screen that quick
  6. rfarrah

rfarrah New Member

I think one of the other posters believed the dust was getting in through the scroll wheel or button areas on the side of the phone.
  7. Vazguard

Vazguard Active Member

I have a tiny little patch in the bottom left corner of the screen, so I'm assuming it's coming in from the memory card slot.
  8. Que

Que New Member

A few pages back, I speculated that it was not dust, but rather flux residue from the PC board manufacturing process.
    I'm now pretty much a believer that it is indeed external dust that is somehow finding it's way inside after recently noticing what appears to be a hair (presumably from my shedding dog) under my screen along with the dust. :gasp:
  9. radarwill

radarwill New Member

I also notice a few short curly hairs in the used one I bought from a female.
    I didn't think much of it until I found the vibrating motor was alomost completely worn out.:tounge:
  10. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

OK, now your talkin. Wasn't that on the Howard Stern movie?
  11. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

reminds me of an off topic thread or two around here.
  12. kernelsandirs

kernelsandirs New Member

5 days later

well I was spec free for a few days, and 5 days later the entire upper right of the screen has dust build up, in a matter of another week it will be evenly spread across the entire screen, I can't wait to get a new phone Sprint Sucks. I forgot to mention the tech that cleaned it the first time asked me "Do you like this phone" I said yes and he said "then just live with the dust other wise you will go nuts over the dust issue because it will never go away". I said clean that shit now please.(made me happy for a week or two) at least I know how to clean it myself, just don't like taking it apart, cause one of these days it's not gonna turn back on :-(
  13. madmax2k1

madmax2k1 New Member

When I took my Q9c to Sprint for cleaning, the tech tells me that all phones have dust issues :) He ended up cleaning it, but the dust re-appeared after a couple of weeks.

I don't think it's a Sprint issue but a Motorola Quality Control problem.
  14. Evixor

Evixor New Member

iv only had mi q9c for about a mouth now and I have it in the bottom and top left of screen but never thought of it being a bad thing to me
  15. kaladar

kaladar New Member

I have this two, after just under a month. Bottom left corner.

Personally, I think its where the screen meets the chrome. If I push just above where the talk button is, I can see where the screen lifts slightly away above the chrome spot. I gently took a razor blade and lifted slightly more so, gently blew into it. The dust did move, of course. I wonder of one of those silicon cases could help in this case.

Does anyone use one? Do they come around the front edge far enough to cover the space where the chrome runs along the screen's edge?
  16. Vazguard

Vazguard Active Member

I have a silicone/rubber case and it attracts so much dust I'm afraid it will put more dust in, so I don't use it.