Dust build-up inside the screen.

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by extremum, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Radon_22

Radon_22 New Member

If the dust is mild, try taking a can of air and blowing into the scrollwheel. It appears that this is where the dust is coming in.
  2. Bozz

Bozz New Member

Mine has dust in the lower right part of the screen, and it started when the phone was about a month old. Like others have said, it is annoying in certain lighting conditions but transparent in darker environments.

It is the worst thing about this device, I hate that they don't seem to want to do anything about it. I haven't tried Verizon yet, because it hasn't seemed worth all the effort to swap the phone IF they decided to. Mine is NEVER carried in my pocket, always a leather case/holster on my side.

At some point it will push me over the edge and I will get it replaced, or replace it with something that doesn't have this trouble.

Bozz
  3. Raenk

Raenk New Member

Mine has lint/dust on the lower left corner and on the right, more on the left though. Not too bad, just noticed it while reading this post and I do carry it in my pocket.

Actually I just see it while the screen is off
  4. g35rocker

g35rocker New Member

I took a can of air and gently sprayed it into the wheel and button on the side and nothing happened. Then I gently sprayed it along the edge of the glass and most of the dust went away! Try a can of air as suggested by Radon_22. It worked for me on my Q9C. I wouldn't spray it full blast, just a gentle spray...
  5. Que

Que New Member

I've had the "dust" mostly in the lower right side of my screen since the first week or two.
    Blowing air anywhere around the case or screen did nothing, but I am able to take the phone apart and clean it off without too much difficulty.
    The problem is, in another day or two it's back as bad as ever.

I'm thinking it's not really dust coming in from the outside.
    I think perhaps there was some flux residue left on the keyboard printed circuit board, specifically under the right soft key.
    Every time you press on that key, it's just generating more "dust" when the crusty residue gets crushed.
    That's my theory anyway.

Next time I take it apart to clean it, I'm going to try cleaning under the rubber keypad with some rubbing alchohol and see if that stops it from re-occuring.
  6. rfarrah

rfarrah New Member

Let us know what you find. I havent tried the gentle air-spraying thing, yet...
  7. radarwill

radarwill New Member

Let me take a crack at this issue.

Just a little background info:
    I'm an electronics tech at MIT and recently bought a used and cosmetically abused Q1 from Craig's List.
    I ordered a complete replacement case, screen overlay, and keyboard from cnn.cn.

I rebuilt the phone this past weekend.

This phone is well engineered outside and in. Every possible dust entrance with the exception of two have safeguards built in to keep the dust out.
    The mic, speaker, ear, and top ports all have black screen cloth glued to the inside of the case and the other ports like SD, ear phones, and side action button have outside covers to keep dust out.

The thumbwheel and USB jack however have zero gasketing and that is where I believe the dust is getting in.

The case does come apart fairly easily with the correct tool.

http://cnn.cn sells one for $1.25. You could use a small screwdriver but you take the chance of scratching the finish. I think I've attached a pic of the tool. You'll also need a T-6 torques driver.
    Both tools came free when I bought my case from CNN.

Check out this youtube vid for the disassembly tutorial:

Hope this helps!

Attached Files:

8. Dylan04

Dylan04 New Member

yea like yall said dust is all in the bottom left side of my screen..im to scared to mess it up by takn it apart..it really doesnt bother me at all
  9. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

I took mine to sprint, they thought it got in through the earphone jack. They cleaned it for me.
  10. Dylan04

Dylan04 New Member

will they do this for alltel?
  11. rfarrah

rfarrah New Member

Took mine to USCC to get cleaned. They screwed up the phone and I got a refurbished replacement.
  12. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

anyone should do it in warranty time rame. The dust did come back. I live with it.
  13. rfarrah

rfarrah New Member

It bugs me, but Im not ready for my 6th Q9c.
  14. Dylan04

Dylan04 New Member

thats a good way to get a new pjone haha hope they screw it up
  15. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

Sad thing is, it wont be a new one, just one they screwed up and fixed.
  16. Dylan04

Dylan04 New Member

oh well screw that they arnt touching my phone!
  17. rfarrah

rfarrah New Member

Well, FWIW, all of the refurbished phones I've received and bought have been like-new. Never had a complaint in that regard. But its still no fun reloading your phone from scratch if you customize it pretty heavily.
  18. ParaCAD

ParaCAD New Member

My experience also, is that most refurbs turn out to be like new.
  19. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

in a refurb most of the original components (internal anyway) will not pass the checks, so basically you are getting a mostly new phone in an old case
  20. xerocalibur

xerocalibur New Member

Just wanted to drop here, and say I still have dust under my screen. Why? Well, a long time ago when this first became an issue -- two or three months into owning my Q9C, bought it from Verizon in September -- the rep at the Verizon store said they could "not do anything about it, unless it affected the functionality of the phone". Now, it has not screwed up any of my functionality yet, other than being ugly and annoying, but is there anything else I can do, short of ripping the phone open?