Dust build-up inside the screen.

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by extremum, Nov 3, 2008.

1. extremum

extremum New Member

Dust build-up inside the screen.

It seems a though dust is building up inside the lower-right of the LCD screen. I never had this problem with my original Motorola Q. My Motorola Q9C has never been opened. Is this issue common and covered under warranty/insurance, and can it be repaired at a local Sprint Store, wiithout replacing the phone?
  2. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

wouldn't say it's common but i have read various posts about this issue.... try searching before posting.

don;t think the local Sprint store will "resolve" this unless they swap the unit.
  3. Vazguard

Vazguard Active Member

Yeah some people have this issue (I have a bit on the lower left edge). There's a posted tutorial on how to clean it by opening your phone around here somewhere in this section...
  4. us3rX

us3rX New Member

Sprint will "clean" it if you have the TEP. If not I think you are SOL... =( However I have had my phone cleaned twice... and its like every time the dust builds up faster than before. They won't replace the phone for something like that I was told. So I am more or less waiting for another phone that I like to come along... *eyes the HTC Touch Pro* if it can be ported over to android... but thats a discussion for another topic. =p

Anyways, best of luck, but it seems the dust is here to stay... for the time being.

~us3rX
  5. itz poly

itz poly New Member

Hasn't happened with me yet, but then again I have had my phone for only a week, and im hoping that this will not happen in the future. Im assuming that you should be able to open your phone and hand clean it...
  6. extremum

extremum New Member

I have TEP, which is the only reason why I now have the Q9c, from the original Q. Even though I am technically inclined to open up the phone, I'd rather have it done by Sprint to retain warranty and avoid insurance coverage issues. :)
  7. Boycan

Boycan New Member

I don't think it really matters but I kinda wonder if this dust may be lint from carrying in a pocket because I have had mine for six months now and I work in a dusty invironment and knock on wood no dust yet but I carry it in a holster never in my pocket.
  8. extremum

extremum New Member

<br />
    <br />
    The screen should be sufficiently airtight, to prevent dust from entering inside. This is the fifth phone I've ever owned and NEVER had dust inside the screen, before.
  9. papped

papped New Member

Happened to my Sprint q9c as well. It's not airtight and I highly doubt there is a huge variance in build quality from one phone to another. More likely it's circumstances/environment/luck.

Also it does appear to be lint rather than actual dust. After I stopped carrying the phone in my pocket it stopped increasing.
  10. rfarrah

rfarrah New Member

The dust is collecting along the lower right side of the screen on mine. I checked out the tutorial on cleaning it yourself and promptly decided I was not up to the task.

I'm trying to decide if it is going to bug me enough for me to take it into the shop.
  11. g35rocker

g35rocker New Member

I have dust in my lower right screen area of my original Q. Sad to hear that they have not resolved the problem. I have not tried to exchange it with Verizon. I am up on my two years and will probably get the Q9c. Hopefully the new phone won't get any dust. But I do carry it in my pocket...
  12. Vazguard

Vazguard Active Member

I've been carrying mine in my pocket for almost a year now and even though I have dust, it's a tiny amount. I can't see it at all in the light, and I can barely see it if the screen is dark and I'm looking closely.
  13. papped

papped New Member

Yep, lower right corner as well. Very likely a design flaw.
  14. g35rocker

g35rocker New Member

As I posted earlier, I had dust in my original Q. I am starting to see dust in my new Q9c near the lower right corner. I think I got this phone around November and there is dust already. I will stop by the Verizon store and show them my old phone and new phone...I'll see what happens!
  15. g35rocker

g35rocker New Member

I just got off the phone with Verizon Technical Support. They told me that if the dust was impairing the ability to view the screen, they would exchange it. I told them that it was not bad now and I would wait and see. I have a year to exchange it and now they have a record of my complaint. So if you are having this issue, try calling technical support for your provider. Hopefully they will help you...
  16. rfarrah

rfarrah New Member

The dust issue bugged me enough to take my phone to my friendly USCC corporate store where the tech said it would be no problem to clean. Then she called back a little later to let me know that she couldn't figure out how to open it to clean it and, by the way, she scratched up my phone in the process.

Typically, the sales manager in that store has been friendly and helpful (that was my 4th Q9c for various reasons - none my fault). This time, though, she said no go to any replacement - EVEN THOUGH HER TECH HAD SCRATCHED MY PHONE'S SCREEN.

So I called USCC customer support and they did an advance replacement for me with no trouble. Now my 5th Q9c has dust on the lower right-hand corner.

I'm going to try and live with it.
  17. kernelsandirs

kernelsandirs New Member

my q9c has massive dust issues, the entire area between the lcd and the glass(plastic) get filled with dust so bad, its nearly impossible to see in sunlight past the dust. called Sprint they don't care and will not replace it even though i complained before the 30 days i had on the purchase, so it wouldn't matter if i had purchased the extended warramty they just told me too bad. I bought the torx driver that fits(i think its t6)and followed a walkthrough i saw somewhere and now i have to clean the screen about once a month. sprint sux. my next test will be to make a thin gasket to fit inside to see if that keeps dust out.
  18. rfarrah

rfarrah New Member

Good luck and let us know how that works.
  19. infernox51

infernox51 New Member

No dust in my Q9c yet, but its only a few months old. If I were to get dust in there somehow, to the point that it pissed me off real nice, I would go on the Motorola website and search for an electronics shop or something that does repairs for Motorola products. No clue what it would cost, but here's where you can search for one near you:
    http://direct.motorola.com/hellomoto/nss/service_locator.asp
  20. extremum

extremum New Member

5th one? Jesus Christ!!! Anyway, I'm on my second, since my first one got stolen at work, after two months. Same lower-right dustage.