Dreading the day Q9C's are gone forever...

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by Whizzer, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Peregrine

Peregrine Member

Don't know if I said this but I am not a fanboi. I like all technology.
    iPhones are awesome as are Droids.
    I have a Droid. Wife has an iPhone. She dumper her Droid for an iPhone and is very happy.
    Here's the thing: ANY smartphone you buy... even the most basic model... is going to do ALL the stuff you say you don't need.
    Camera? Check.
    Advanced internet? Check.
    So get that out of your head. If you are going to pay for a data plan... usae it. :D
    Having said that:
    I would recommend any HTC Android. Those are far and away my favorite. HTC adds a little bit of goodness on top of the OS which really makes it stand apart.
    The iPhone is nice though.
    A friend of mine said it best: The iPhone is an mp3 player with a phone added to it. The Droid is a phone with an MP3 player added to it.
    In other words, the Androids are generally better phones. But the music player and the "slickness" of the iPhone is nicer then the Androids.
    Although if you really love the Q9C: you can have my old one for free. ;)
  2. infinitum3d

infinitum3d New Member

No thanks, two is enough :)

I must admit, I have used the Q's camera for spur of the moment photo ops, but at 1.3 MP, it's not my 'go to' choice, so any upgrade there would be a nice addition, but again, not required. And I -do- like posting on forum boards, but I can do that with the Q and Opera, so I don't have to upgrade for that.

I guess my main contention is that I don't -have- to upgrade, and I don't even know if I -want- to upgrade, unless I get a true benefit from the upgrade. I'm 40. I've been using mobile phones for 15 years. In my youth I would upgrade every year, not out of need, but out of desire. I no longer -desire- to upgrade. I would like to do some programming -on- the device (not just -for- the device), but that's really the only 'power' feature I'm looking for, and I don't think it is actually available yet.
  3. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

I agree with Peregrine, if you go Android, go HTC. My Droid Incredible on Verzion rocks an 8mp camera, I started leaving our outdated digital camera for construction site work in the office and just using the phone.

Not only are HTC devices slick, well built, the UI the put over stock Android kills Moto Blur and Samsung's UI (cant recall what its named). Of course if you want the pure Android experience the Nexus S (if you have T-Mobile or Sprint) is what you want, which is by Samsung.

You really cant go wrong with either device, iPhone or Android.

Hit the store and play!! :)
  4. infinitum3d

infinitum3d New Member

My wife has a Samsung (can't recall which, but not the Nexus S), so I'll be staying with Sprint. Funny thing, since I started posted here this morning, my Q's been locking up like crazy. Coincidence? or is it a sign from the Great Spirit of the Mobile Ether that the time has come to let the Q rest in peace...

the Nexus S 4G is looking better and better . . .
  5. n99hockey

Haha, IT KNOWS!!!

If your on Sprint and in the market for a true Android experience, I think the Nexus S 4G is the way to go. If you want some razzle dazzle, the HTC EVO 3D looks slick (although I dont see why you need 3D on a phone).
  6. infinitum3d

infinitum3d New Member

I've used a Q9c for 5 years. I'm not really a razzle dazzle kinda guy ;) I'll look into the Nexus. Anyone have any experience with the Nexus One? Is the Nexus S a good advancement, or did they just tweak the bells and whistles this time and -next- year is when the real Nexus follow-up comes out?
  7. mhans311

mhans311 Member

I loved my Q9m/c a couple years ago. Then I loved my HTC Ozone even more. Now I am loving my droid X the most. I do sometimes miss the form factor of my Ozone, but there is too much about my X that just dominates all my old winmo phones.

I am not sure if having a physical keyboard makes any difference for you, it may help with programming. If you do want a physical keyboard, check out the Epic 4g. It has a very nice keyboard. It does have Samsung's touchwiz overlay. I have to say I prefer moto blur over HTC's sense. Sense is a bit more intrusive than the new lighter-weight moto blur. Overall I would prefer stock android.
  8. Peregrine

Peregrine Member

Yea, I did love my Ozone. Very much.
    Stepped off the plane in Mexico and got a text from Verizon: "Welcome to Mexico! To make an international call..." blablabla.
    It was sweet. Worked flawlessly there.
    We still have it in the office because it's the only world phone we have. Actually it is in Switzerland with one of my attorneys today who normally uses an iPhone.
    But in the US Droid or iPhone > Winmoby 6.x
    Having said that I did finally get to play with WinMoby 7. I like it alot. Just annoyed that MS took so long to get it to market and abandoned 6.5. And then they do the "Apple" thing and only release it for one carrier. They need to hit ATT and Verizon out of the gate. I STILL can't get Winmoby on VZW?
    Weak MS. I will not own another MS phone.
  9. n99hockey

The Nexus S is the next Nexus version. It is a 4G capable phone and a pretty good successor to the original.
  10. infinitum3d

infinitum3d New Member

So is 4G really that much better than 3G? Or is 5G right around the corner? Did anyone see the Ozzie Osbourne and Justin Beiber commercial? I feel like Ozzie, wandering around mumbling, "What's a G anyways?"
  11. n99hockey

Haha, well 4G (LTE) is/going to be faster than 3G for sure. I dont think you have to worry about Ozzy trying to explain 5G, you should be more than safe for quite a while on LTE.
  12. infinitum3d

infinitum3d New Member

Yeah, if I can keep the Q for 5 years, I should be OK with 4G for awhile.
  13. n99hockey

Oh definitly!
  14. Q9c Fan

Q9c Fan New Member

I've been using my Q9c (wm6.1) on a Sprint network for 2+ years and am quite attached it. I'm not a power user, just like the simplicity of threaded texting and contact & calendar mgmt all with one hand & that connects to Outlook via my laptop! I don't even browse the web, since such plans are too expensive for our families budget. My wife's phone is dying and she would also like to get aQ9c (green one). I am not very tech savy, so here are my questions...

1a. Can a non-Sprint Q9c be used on or succesfully converted work on Sprint?
    1b. If so, what networks and how difficult is it?

2a. Can a Sprint Q9c be used on or succesfully converted to another network?
    2b. Again, if so, what networks & how difficult?

3. Any ideas where to find a green Q9c (wm6.1) in good condition?

4. Can a Q9c (wm6.1) download some kind of app to get wifi and surf that way? My Q9c only has bluetooth capability.

Thanks for help with my questions! They may seem pretty simplistic, but as I mentioned, I am not a power user or tech savy- just very satisfied the basic functionality & durability of the Q9c!​
  15. Q9c Fan

Q9c Fan New Member

Another question...
    What does it mean when a phone is advertised as new but "unlocked"? Will that work on a Sprint network?​
  16. infinitum3d

infinitum3d New Member

I've never tried it, but I believe Wi-Fi is possible using the Internet Sharing function of a standard Q9C. There is a Wi-Fi power option, so Wi-Fi must be possible.
  17. Q9c Fan

Q9c Fan New Member

Thanks for responding! I'll look into that... So, are you sticking with the Q9c for a bit longer or are you actively looking to upgrade?
  18. mking8288

mking8288 Member

AFAIW, the Verizon (CDMA) version of Q9c does NOT have wifi functionality (slightly ahead of its time when launched) and if there was a firmware flash to upgrade it, then I certainly missed it on mine b/c I just check it and there's no documentation about its existence. Maybe, the Sprint ones got it ??

As for phones being "unlocked" - it generally refer to GSM phones that use (micro)Sim card(s) that are typically locked to carriers like AT&T or T-Mobile (ones sold oversea are sometimes not unlocked & sold at full retail pricing / not subsidized.)

As for my Q9c, it's still going well as a backup smartphone when necessary, it's running WM6.1 and customized, got Goggle Maps Mobile, Facebook, YouTube, Opera Mini 5.1 and Opera Mobile 10, NeoReader, etc. loaded on it so it's still a workhorse (slower and it's NOT for the iPhone generation set on the touchscreen). BTW, still got an unlocked Q8 global (GSM) running a customized Chinese ROM (WM6.1) in English, and running similar apps except Goggle Maps Mobile since storage capacity is limited - but I take it along on oversea trips even though its only (E)dge speed but easily integrate/sync with my notebook PC & corporate emails/Exchange, etc. It's too bad that they can't be "cooked" or upgraded to WM6.5 OS at will, if at all (unlike the faster, unlocked global HTC Ozone (running 3VO ROM) in our household.

Plus, it's easy to find accessories and charge it on the go, and inexpensive OEM batteries - and most importantly, it gets a good signal for voice calls - which is what mobile phones were originally designed for, everything else nowadays are add-ons.

OTOH, I will get back over to one of the HTC and play with Android 2.x .... as my weekend projects.

There are still plenty of ordinary folks using V3m's and alike, mine sit in the emergency "Go" kits as spares .... (i.e. the Krzr k1m are ideal for prepaid plans too AND do not require any data plans .... unlike the current run-of-the mill smartphones & feature phones) There are still plenty of "service life" left in these devices in the years ahead - (just go to eBay or Craigslist to pick them up cheaply.)
  19. infinitum3d

infinitum3d New Member

Personally, I still love my Q. It does everything I need, just not everything I want. But no phone does what I -want-, yet. So to answer the question, I'm keeping the Q for now, but looking into the Nexus S.

And my q uses Sprint, so that may be where I get the WiFi ability.
  20. Q9c Fan

Q9c Fan New Member

Regarding your wifi ability, what version of winmobile do you have?