Dreading the day Q9C's are gone forever...

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by Whizzer, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Shawn O'Brion

Shawn O'Brion New Member

Not a spammer. I bought my phone in perfect condition, in box, for under $30 on Amazon.

Peregrine, think what you will, but I can tell you, without a doubt, and this is not my opinion- there are 1000's of free apps for WinMo, NOT 350. Maybe you're looking at the Microsoft Marketplace? Heres another fact, not opinion- WinMo has been around for over a decade, its backwards compatible with most older WinMo Os'es, and with a mouse emulator, I can run touch software. This alone makes the sheer number of freeware and third party apps for it huge- not my opinion, just the way it is. Also, any developer will tell you that its much easier to write software for WinMo vs Android. Also, I can run apps directly from my storage card. Before hacking my phone, my apps run great, directly from the card, with no lag. After the speed hacks, which were simple to do, its incredible. Also, after a decade, WinMo is not dieing, but still actively developed, with new apps daily.. and the pre-installed apps on this phone rock. As far as network coverage, I have the Sprint version of the Moto Q9c.. I have no idea what you're talking about, but honestly my coverage rocks. Ive never had a single dropped call- this radio is impressive. It's a noticeable difference.

Look man, I am not biased- Ive played with them all.. but here's what I want in a phone,

1) As many -FREE- apps as possible. Maybe in the future, Android will catch up.. but it hasnt yet. Don't look in the Microsoft Marketplace- just Google. They are countless, due to the sheer number of older versions of Windows CE, Pocket PC, WinMo standard, professional, x86 Dosbox, etc.. and the 10+ years it's been around and STILL IN DEVELOPMENT, and the easier programming. -You're just plain wrong about that. Period.

2) Backwards compatibility, functionality and for my phone to be as similar to a desktop computer as possible. Ditto.

3) A phone that works on the best plan possible. $35 for unlimited everything? -Ditto again. I had the Code 1220 with Metro before for $50. I intentionally downgraded to the Q9c. Result? With the better network and superior coverage, and Sprint exclusive apps available free on the phone, and its modibility, my Youtube videos play without skips flawlessly on the superior Sprint CDMA network, calls are clear and never dropped, awesome apps free and only available to Sprint (or Boost), etc.. I've never gotten more bang for my buck. I'm not just arguing for the sake of argument, because I like something and you don't.. I could absolutely give a rat's ass less about a piece of software and a cellphone. I have no bias, sentiment or emotional attachment to my gadgets. I've been looking at Android, and I am simply not convinced yet, in terms of value. People like different things, certainly. I don't care about a clunky interface, or a bit of lag, or lower processing power. I've stated my priorities in what I look for in smartphones already. Those may not be the same for everyone else, but I think I've tried to speak from fact, and not sentiment.

http://phandroid.com/2009/11/23/android-vs-windows-mobile/

A simple test:

Tell me your top 10 favorite Android apps, and I'll show you 20 similar apps for free on Windows Mobile.
  2. Shawn O'Brion

Shawn O'Brion New Member

Oh, -Flash-. Sure you can guarantee Iphone does more?
  3. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

I will stick with Android for these purposes since thats what I have and cant speak for iPhone.

After playing with Android can you seriously still say WM6.1 is better!? You keep saying backwards compatibility, but why, because nothing is being developed. Yes, people still use it but WM6.x is truly dead (no developer will continue working on it and MS has abandoned it). It will not move to get any better than what is currently out there.

While it has been around for a decade, its clearly been left in the dust. No more MS support and no more developer support for apps since WP7 will not let WM6.x apps work.

Yes, I can run apps directly from my SD card.

There are over 250,000 apps in the Android Market, iPhone has (I dunno, even more than Android), while you Google search for what you need, I will just check the market.

Now don't get me wrong, I had a Q, a Q9c and a Q9h, and loved them, I hated to see them go. But after moving to Android, I can not honestly ever look back to WM6.x, ever.

Also, try not to quote an article from nearly 2 years ago, clearly Android has matured since then. Perhaps your facts are flawed due to out dated material.
  4. manbat

manbat Active Member

As I said above...I still use my Q9m (flashed to WM6.1) for work every day. It will do things newer phones will NOT do and I show up I-Phone users all the time...lol.
  5. n99hockey

Like what?
  6. Shawn O'Brion

Shawn O'Brion New Member

I agree with manbat. I'm constantly seeing "locked down" new phones, with all this superior hardware and os'es, that just don't seem to do as much. Don't give me numbers- Please, show me some apps for Android, that WinMo can't do. Hell, there's even an Android emulator for Windows Mobile. Is the opposite true?

http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/download-google-android-emulator/

Even if pro-developers dont code for it, any chump can. Its so easy to program for. Please, don't just -tell- me it's better. Show me why. I want to be convinced.
  7. Shawn O'Brion

Shawn O'Brion New Member

Well, I guess the great thing is I can now use all the free apps in Android's marketplace -in addition- to the WinMo freeware out there. :)
  8. Shawn O'Brion

Shawn O'Brion New Member

Flash, for starters n99..
  9. manbat

manbat Active Member

Well.....Just two days ago when a co-workers I-Phone had no coverage I ran my Co-Pilot GPS system (external Bluetooth GPS Receiver) and got us where we were going. Co-Pilot is stand alone.....needs no internet. It is getting harder to one up him.....I-Phones are pretty good now....lol!
  10. n99hockey

Android does Flash, iPhone doesn't although I think you can use Skyfire, but Im not sure since I don't have an Android. Just like WinMo you need Skyfire.

There might be a WinMo emulator, but there is no need for a WinMo emulator, why go backwards ;)

You say locked down, what do you mean?
    My Incredible is not locked, I have complete control over every single file on the device, including bootloaders. I can overclock, underclock, undervolt, change ROM's

Im not about to go through every single app in the Market to prove a point, its ridiculous and I don't have that kind for time, but of all the items you listed, yes, Android can do that.

This is not to mention all the superior hardware specs.

What do you specificly do on a daily basis that Android can't do? Why don't we start there?
  11. manbat

manbat Active Member

I am pretty fond of my Touch Pro 2 also.......I use it for my personal phone. I am looking pretty hard at the new HTC ThunderBolt though.
  12. Peregrine

Peregrine Member

Well I am not one of those "fanboi's" that need to convince you of anything. You want to be stuck in 2005, that's fine. I don't care. Enjoy your phone. I will enjoy mine.
    You want to dicuss: ok. I am not going to try and change your mind.
    But you want a few of my favorite apps?? Here ya' go:
    I have turn by turn Navi on my Android. And yes... I used the turn-by-turn Navi app on the Q9c and on the Ozone. Flat out garbage compared to the near-Garmin like interface on the Droid. (free)
    Slacker Radio (free)
    The Great Land Grab" GPS Game (free)
    "Need for Speed" EA Game (not a fan of these games on phones but it was on sale for .99)
    Photowall "Live" Wallaper. (free) No such thing on Windows
    Words With Friends game (free)
    Screenlight - Flashlight app (free)
    Yahoo LIVE Scores + Widgets for my favortie teams (free)
    Hey, Winmoby, what's a widget?
    Angry Birds (free)
    Barcode Scanner (free)
    Alarm Clock Plus with the "shake to snooze" feature that I love so much. (.99 cents but there is a 100% free version)
    Facebook app (free)
    Photobucket app (free)
    Beautifull YouTube app (free)
    Voice Recorder (free)
    Oh and since "googling" for apps that Ron in Peoria made and figuring out how to install them is how you do it?
    App Market (free)
    Handcent SMS messaging wih serious SMS features (free)
    and last but in no way least:
    Rockbox for Android. Free. Still in early stages of development.
    Don't even get me started on the weak music player in WinMoby.
    I hate to put down WinMoby. I was a huge fan. But it is dead. Like I said: great if it suits your needs. More power to you.
  13. n99hockey

iPhone, no coverage? LOL
    jk

There are offline GPS apps for Android (dunno about iPhone), just keeping along with the discussion

(PS its nice to get a little back and forth going)
  14. n99hockey

Thunderbolt is a really nice phone, you should get in the 4G plans before Big RED screws everyone over when they change plans around.
  15. Peregrine

Peregrine Member

16. manbat

manbat Active Member

======================
    Yeppers....That ThunderBolt really does look pretty good though!!
  17. Peregrine

Peregrine Member

Oh, I am ont of those rare people that likes all phones. All technology. iPhones are col. Droids. Win7Moby. All good.
    So I will stick up for iPhone. Doesn't do Flash? And? You know how many times I need Flash in a month? -0-
  18. n99hockey

Rkcoll (member here, and now over at eA) just got it, and is really digging it.
  19. manbat

manbat Active Member

=======================
    That's true. Right now I have two "grandfathered" REAL Unlimited data plans. The ThunderBolt will go though on my plans currently without a "Data Package Upgrade" right now. I do look for Verizon to start limiting the phones that they will allow me to get with my grandfathered plans and require a "New" data package......lol
  20. infinitum3d

infinitum3d New Member

Great thread guys! I've learned alot reading along, and I appreciate that even though some people disagree, they haven't made this a personal flame war! All sides seem to be very considerate of the others, even though fiercly loyal to their own phone.

I've been using a Q9c since, well, I guess since 2007? Can that be right? I used to get a new phone every year, but I really like the Q. Even with the memory leaks, freezing up, sms lockups, etc, I still love it. My wife and I each have one, but she upgraded last year, so her old one is being used by our 10 year old for gaming only. I'm finally considering upgrading to a newer phone because the screen is just so scratched up that its hard to see. I only use the phone for calls, texts, and e-mail/google, so I don't need a fancy camera or radio or tv in it, although I -have- considered an iPad so that I can do some programming on it, and with Skype I should be able to place calls on it. (Ever tried programming -ON- a Q? Can't be done LOL, you can write code, but need a real PC to compile it). I dislike the I.E. default on the Q, so I use Opera Mini 5 for e-mail and surfing (I don't need Flash, and I couldn't get used to SkyFire anyways).

So, in your very educated opinions, would you recommend the iPhone, Driod, 4G, HTC, other(?) to replace the Q. remember, I just 'need' a phone, text, and basic internet, but I would 'like' to be able to write/compile code.

Thoughts?