Dreading the day Q9C's are gone forever...

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by Whizzer, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Whizzer

Whizzer Member

Dreading the day Q9C's are gone forever...

I'm NOT ready to move on....

I've been absent from this forum for a LOOONG time. I'm so hooked on these silly devices, it's pathetic. I've bought several Sprint Q9Cs off of Craigslist, for spares and family members replacements. They just work. If you're the tinyest bit geeky, you can make them do about anything you need.

I love Sprint, PdaNet, Motorola, Bing, TCPMP, streaming, Opera Mini 5, Skyfire, it's GREAT reception, SERO...it's all good for me, and I guess I'm just dreading the eventual, inevitable passing of my beloved Q9Cs.

My wife just went from a Mogul to a Touch Pro2. No thanks... it's OK, but I just like my Q. Its a "Pry it out of my cold dead fingers" kind of attachment. Pathetic. I know. I am even satisfied with WM6.1. :\

What are the faithful thinking about the next step? I'm stuck on SERO--for as long as I can keep it. It's my main home web access with PdaNet.

Any thoughts?
    Stan
    Pot Q
  2. coolpoete

coolpoete Member

Eventually the phone will die (just as Boston will lose if they play like this!) and you'll get another one. All good things must eventually come to an end.
  3. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

it does suck that the Q9c line is dead, but alot of us have moved on. it would have been nice for the Q line to continue, it was a really great device i sure loved all my Q's.

dont fret, there are BIGGER things out there, IE; the coming of WP7 and Android. I jumped to Android and i absolutely love it, im very happy i did.
    i can speak for WP7 but nearly all of those things you mentioned are available for Android.

one day you will feel the urge for that new toy and you will fall in love all over again.
  4. Whizzer

Whizzer Member

One BIG snag is SERO isn't currently alowing those devices.

Unless something changes, SERO plans aren't compatible with most newer devices. SERO is a great deal, and I wanna keep it.

Is anyone aware of a solution to that problem?
  5. n99hockey

as a verizon customer i really dont know
    but doesnt sprint have those everthing plans for only 69 bucks?
  6. mhans311

mhans311 Member

Yeah they do have those $69 plans...unless of course you want an EVO 4G. Those plans are $79 plus $30 more (I think) if you want to tether. Oh and don't forget the additional $5 if you plan on using the video calling capabilities with the front camera.

Have you considered the HTC Snap? I have an Ozone (basically the same phone but for Verizon) and I love it even more than my Q9m/c ( I didn't think that would be possible:) ) The phone is just much quicker and smoother in general.
  7. manbat

manbat Active Member

Still love my Q9m/c....WM6.1. Keep it active all the time. I rotate my others. The Q9m/c can still do things my others just will not do...lol
  8. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

The only problem I really have with still having my Q9h is finding a replacement battery. The ones I got off Ebay are not lasting as long as the original that came with the phone. That battery lasted me a surprising two years.
  9. Whizzer

Whizzer Member

Nope. Is that a current phone for Sprint? One problem I have , is that it's kinda hard to tell which phones are actually SERO compatible.

SERO is deeply discounted, legacy phone plan that Sprint is trying to eliminate by attrition. 500 minutes, unlimited data & text messaging, and much more for only $30.00. (I have 6 SERO lines) Tethering via PDAnet has never incurred any extra fees (or even any attention, so far as I can tell) but I always stay under 5 gig.

mhans311, is the HTC Snap a windows phone? If it is, PDAnet will likely work.

Stan
  10. n99hockey

yes the snap is a WM phone
  11. Peregrine

Peregrine Member

After being with the original Q then the Q9c, then the HTC Ozone (which really feels like a true successor to the Q series) I finally jumped to the Droid. The original Droid (was pretty much free).
    No looking back. As for what you love on the Q... all of it... ALL OF IT and MUCH MUCH more works on the Droid, my friend.
    PDANET: Check
    Bing: Check
    TCPMP: well, ok no there... it is discontinued right?
    Skyfire/Opera: Don't need it as you have "The real" Internet now on Droids.
    Add 20,000 other apps and games and tools and and and and and.....

It's time to move on, my friend. Don't fight it. There is a better world out there.
    ;)
  12. riskybzns

riskybzns Active Member

my wm phone still has one thing that blackfairy, icrap and the droid don't.....a sirius app with howard stern :)
  13. mhans311

mhans311 Member

There may be a better world out there...depending on your usage. My wife has a Motorola Driod and she loves it. I have used it a lot as well, but I can't find anything about it that would make me jump to it. I can do everything I need/want on my Ozone (especially now that Bing has voice guided navigation). I love playing old NES and SNES games on my phone and that is really difficult with Android. Another WM program that has no equal on Android is Kinoma Play. I use that program for my music and movies, podcast streaming or downloading, internet radio, tv, photo viewer (for local photos as well as flickr, picasa, and facebook), twitter, facebook, image search with yahoo google and bing, youtube viewer (much better than the google one), orb client, yelp! client, Audible streamer, and much more. The only things I envy about the droid is the much better camera with flash, the large screen, and the web browsing. There aren't really any apps in the Android Market that I would use and can't find on WM. Having said that, as soon as Kinoma makes an app for Android (or another platform), I will probably jump ship.
  14. Whizzer

Whizzer Member

Well, I'm feeling a *little* better. As long I can keep Sprint SERO I will adjust, I guess. I haven't looked at devices lately, I must admit. I just know Sprint is gradually squeezing SERO users out by limiting the devices they can activate.

I'll hang on to my Q's a while longer. But Sunday my hopefully future daughter-in-law (if my son ever wakes up!) is meeting me at my favorite Sprint store in Wichita, to do a porting of her Verizon BB Curve number to the SERO line I added to my account recently (via T.O.L.). Should I add BIS? or will it work decent without it.

Hope that doesn't hijack this thread.

We'll snoop out some new devices, hands on, in the store. Not many to choose from, methinks.

Stan
  15. Peregrine

Peregrine Member

What the heck is this SERO you keep mentioning?!?!?

Totally agree MHAN about Kinoma Play. The media player included with Droid sucks and there are no excellent media player apps that I have found yet.

I disagree with the "youtube viewer" quote. The "youtube viewer" is the REAL youtube. Not a "viewer". It's the real deal. Easily searchable Fast as hell, nice pic, I am getting into youtube all over again. lolol

Also FALLING IN LOVE with being able to speak to the Droid... in just about any app. I can speak my text messages, my facebook updates, my emails... and it works pretty well.
  16. mhans311

mhans311 Member

You are right. I should have specified. I think the Kinoma Play youtube viewer is the best on WM. When I mentioned the google youtube player I was referring to the one google made for WM. I agree that the Youtube app on the droid is very very good. I love how it gives you the option of watching in high quality. Kinoma supposedly does that for you by measuring bandwidth and giving you the best quality for your connection, but it still looks much better on the Droid. Obviously the screen resolution plays a part in that too.
  17. Whizzer

Whizzer Member

SERO is a heavily discounted "legacy" plan. Stands for Sprint Employees Referral Offer, and Sprint discontinued selling it some time ago. I just bought another one off of Craigslist, and did a Transfer of Liability (TOL) to my account. My particular accounts have 500 anytime minutes, *Unlimited* Data, Unlimited Text Messaging, Nights & Weekends start at 7, and all the usual features available through most carriers. And for $30.00 US, I've not seen anything else on any carrier that measures up, considering the strength of the Sprint Network, at least in Rural America. I guess you can Google it for more details.

Sprint is currently restricting the devices it will activate on SERO and that is the downside. After all, it's a dead plan. Pretty much any "Regular" Phone will work, and current Windows Mobile models are compatible. The jury is still out, as to whether the WM7 phones will work on SERO, but they likely will in my opinion.

This really gets at the heart of my issue with this thread, because I LOVE Windows Mobile, as much as I've loved my Q's. But SERO!... I'm not letting go of my SERO plans until I'm forced out.

I did look at the HTC Snap yesterday after Church, but I'm not enough of a geek to develop an opinion during a quick visit to the Sprint Store. I've just gotta live a while with 'em to know what I think. This I know for sure, I like a QWERTY keyboard, and you can KEEP all the touch screens. I'll have NONE of it, thank you. One of my sons has the Lotus 1 on SERO, and that looks like a great form factor to me, but there again... no WinMo, no thanks.

I wish Motorola would take a hard look at WM7. (Maybe they are.) I'd sign up right away. I've always like the "radio" on Moto Phones, since I can usually get a signal when other devices are weak. My 2 cents.
  18. Shawn O'Brion

Shawn O'Brion New Member

I just got a Q9c last month for the first time, and I LOVE it. It may be an outdated phone, but it still rocks! As of March of 2011, I can still do more things with this phone for FREE, than my friends can with their Droids and Iphones.. And being that any Sprint phone now works on Boost Mobile, I have UNLIMITED EVERYTHING for $35. I don't know about your SERO, but I dont worry about limited minutes or weekends. I have Pandora, Sprint TV, TCPMP, unlimited streaming radio, NES, SNES GENESIS and even a PSX emulator!! ALL FREE!! And and and I can remote desktop with it!! And and and theres so much backwards compatibility with Windows CE, PPC, WinMo 5+, A Palm OS emulator, and now, an Android emulator! Dosbox- I run x86 desktop games, ALL FREE!!.. and this phone is soo friggin' hackable and moddable- nothings locked down! It took me a minute to hack the video camera resolution to fullscreen recording, speed up the net, enable the gps, etc etc etc..

I know some of you guys love your Droid, but new isn't neccessarily better. Im not willing to upgrade from 6.5 to 7- its not really an upgrade in my opinion- its a different OS altogether. Sometimes, things get worse when they are newer- because companies want to make profit, and if they keep backwards compatibility forever- they lose money. Take the Playstation 3 for example- anyone remember the first batches? They playes PS1 and 2 games. The newer ones? Nope. Sony realized they were losing money. I think its a similar concept with these phones. You guys can brag about how great your Android devices are- in the meantime, I'm gonna play me some Mariokart while I listen to live streaming music in the background, and log into my desktop pc through my phone.

Theres alot of opinions on which mobile os is better- Id like to see the top 10 favorite -types- of applications by all smartphone users, then do a test to see which phone has all those applications available, and for free. I'm pretty sure WinMo wins.
  19. n99hockey

Glad you like your Q, when I had it, it was a great phone, well, still is.

But I guarantee you can not do more on that than on a Droid or iPhone, (maybe WP7 :) ).
  20. Peregrine

Peregrine Member

I suspect a spammer. Next he's going to post that has has a few for sale?
    You have to be kidding Shawn. I'm sorry but I have had 3 generations of WinMoby phones. The Q, the Q9C, and the HTC Ozone. Which, by the way, the Ozone smokes the Q's.
    The last time I checked the Windows Mobile Market for 6.5 had 350 apps. 350, Shawn. And you can do more on your phone then an Android or an iPhone? No way, man. Not even close. I can do things on my Droid I could have never even imagined on a Windows Mobile Phone.
    And, of course, when Win7 came out the discontinued supprt for 6.5. Just like Sony did with the PS3. Actually some PS3's because there was a vrsion you could buy that will play PS2 games.
    Yes, the $35 plan does indeed rock but coverage on Boost or Revol or whatever budget carrier you want to throw out there just flat out sucks.
    To put it simply: I disagree. ;)