Downloading Software to the Q?

Discussion in 'Windows Phone Software' started by Qperman, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Qperman

Qperman New Member

Downloading Software to the Q?

I justed purchased my first smartphone, the Q, and I'm starting to learn how it works. I don't have a home computer right now, so I rely on my work computer. Our administrator has set our work computers so that we can not download programs/software/applications. Can I download programs/software/applications directly to the Q? If so, how?
  2. jerryjr

jerryjr New Member

If you find a software site that offers .CAB files, you can easily download and install those directly.
  3. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

In the Q Software Store, you can send software right to your Q via SMS or an email link. It makes installation very easy. We have a few freeware titles and will add if there are any Q specific gems.

-Chris
  4. FreebeDJ

FreebeDJ New Member

Chris,

I am also a newbie to smart-phones and the Q. My hope was to use the Q and bluetooth headphones for listening to Audio Books on my long commute each day. Unfortunately I have not been able to make the Media Player work the way I want. It seems to be dependent on MP3 "Tag" information, which is not always correct.

Anyway, can you recommend a good Audio Book software for the Q ? On my old MP3 player, I could point to a directory and it would play each file in the directory in file name order. Or perhaps there is a way to do this in the Q media player ? I've had no luck tying to do a "Playlist" that the Q can recognize.

Thanks,

Dave
  5. CWilliams

CWilliams New Member

Mileage and expense report tracker wanted

In an earlier posting I wanted to know if there was an expense and auto mileage tracker for the Q, as I had a third party program I used for my Treo 650. I was told to create a spreadsheet. I downloaded my existing spreadsheet from my CPU and it only appeared in the viewer (no use), so I tried to load MS Excel and was told by the Q it is not supported. Any ideas or software to help me?

Thanks,

Ed
  6. SDMahan

SDMahan New Member

In response to an MP3 Player with the ability to open files directly, check out Pocket Player by Conduits. The current version, 2.72 has a few problems with AVRCP for bluetooth headphones if that is a feature you need. On the upside, I know as a beta tester for Conduits that the AVRCP feature has been corrected and will be released soon.
  7. TundraDome

TundraDome New Member

How do I download Apps to the Q and not use ActiveSync?

A couple of questions for Chris and all of you possessing "The Knowledge Of The Q":

1. If I download to my Q (via SMS or email) a software application (.exe) from the Q Software Store, will it install on my Q? Without using ActiveSync, it is my understanding I can only successfully install CAB files diirectly my Q (add CAB file to storage card, and launch and intall the application from the Q).

2. For example, I purchased a black jack game that is Q compatible (*not* from the Q Software Store), downloaded the .exe file, put it on my storage card, and when I try to run it to install the game, I get "aces_blackjack_sp is not a valid windows CE application". Huh? I don't want to do ActiveSync to add (convert) this .exe file (as I wirelessly sync) so it will install on my Q - is there another alternative to "making" this application a valid CE applicaton (something to convert it to a CAB format?). Thanks for all your help.
  8. TundraDome

TundraDome New Member

Wireless Syncing and Using ActiveSync to Install .exe Applications

O.K. Am I the only wireless sync-er out there? <_< For the other few of you doing wireless syncing using the Verizon Wireless Sync website and *not* syncing to Outlook on your PC, and were advised (as was I), to NEVER, EVER sync via usb to your PC or you will find yourself in the land of "Duplicates for the Damned"; as ususal, the advice (while well intentioned) is not entirely true. So, I just decided to see for myself. . . .:eek:hmy:

Go ahead, dive in, and set up a "relationship" via usb connection between your Q and your PC: Install ActiveSync on your PC; when done, connect your Q via USB to your PC. ActiveSync and your Q will attempt to connect, but your Q will give you grave warnings (since you are set up for wireless syncing) that you are headed down a perilous path: Are you Sure you want to do this? Are you SURE your Sure? (Paraphrasing here, but that's about what the Q is asking you). Just say yes to all this and your Q attempts to create the relationship with your PC . . . . . . . . . . Eventually ActiveSync launches a configuration wizard that you then follow. The key is this . . . as you walk through the series of ActiveSync configuration prompts and screens (to create this relationship), you will eventually get to the screen that asks you exactly which applications (calendar, email, task, etc.) do you want to sync (with Outlook) - and your answer is -none- of them (uncheck all the boxes). Then click "next" and eventually "finish."

Now, the only thing that will sync with your Q are the .exe applications you wish to install (and I presume uninstall or remove) - the .exe apps where you need ActiveSync to create a .CAB version for your Q. Now I can download .exe files and easily install them on my Q through ActiveSync without jacking up my wireless syncing. :thumbup: Hope this helps others.
  9. SDMahan

SDMahan New Member

I am only using Wireless Sync for my Lotus Notes email. I turned off the other conduits (contacts, calendar, etc) on Wireless Sync (I find the PIM in Wireless Sync and Lotus Notes too limited) and enabled them on ActiveSync. This way my PIM data syncs with Outlook on my PC and my Email syncs with Lotus Notes at my office. Oh, you would need to turn off email sync in ActiveSync under this configuration.
  10. TundraDome

TundraDome New Member

SDMahan, Not a bad approach at all; in fact you're getting the best of both worlds. I like it. Nicely done.