downhill battery...?

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by rudeboy, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Geekster

Geekster New Member

Maybe you have a screw loose? On the phone, ON the phone!
    Could a connection have worked it's way loose that charges the battery & the plug in? But both the USB & the wall charger loose? Is that possible?

Do you have a spare battery charger on your cradle and just charge the battery/batteries with that? Would that work?
  2. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

the weird thing is it charges normal via wall charger...

this new battery was charged using the charge "slot" on the cradle.

thx... potQ.
  3. dave mack

dave mack New Member

battery

it could be that his usb port on the computer doesn't supply enough power or
    steady power.
  4. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

it worked for about a year and a half.... i might try & connect the Q to a different pc (tried last week but Active Sync wouldn't detect the Q)

thx, potQ.
  5. Geekster

Geekster New Member

If you are using the side or front USB slots then try one of the back USB slots. Back USB slots are directly connected to the motherboard where the front/side USB slots are a cable connection.
    *I know you know that but just spreading the word*
    Maybe open the PC and make sure the front USB cable isn't loose? Just re-seat everything while you have it open, it won't hurt to double check everything while you are there.
    Just a thought...
    Or do you think maybe that the phones USB dongle might be "going bad" on the phone?
  6. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

@ Geekster; i sync and what not with my laptop... only 2 usb ports. i hope to "fix" the issue with the test pc i have here, see if it charges on that.

i thought about a bad usb connector on the Q, but wouldn't it also not charge via wall charger ?..
  7. Geekster

Geekster New Member

*snip* wouldn't it also not charge via wall charger ?..

Not an electronics whiz...
    I don't know the schematics of the phone but, & this is my opinion/theory as I see it:
    That's 2 different electrical currents using 2 different watt's/ohms/trickle sequences to charge a battery.
    USB uses a different trickle charge current than the wall outlet? Yes?
    Maybe the wall outlet is the most consistent power without too many fluctuations. USB would be HIGH then low currents if my remember my A+ class theory correctly. (Been a few years).
    So, maybe between the phone, cable, & no significant power fluctuations the phone likes the wall better.
    How old is your PC? Have you checked with the maker to see if there are any hardware/firmware updates for it? Specifically the USB? You are going straight into USB? No hub?
    Bad cables? But that's not logical either...
    Giving you any ideas at all here? Any "slaps forehead & goes duh!" ideas?
  8. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

Geek, you may or may not be correct on the "poles" used in the usb connector on the Q... i do not know either way. for the moment i have hooked it up to a desktop here in my office to see if i have the same "bad/little" charge.. it always (+/- 18 months) worked on this laptop so i dunno, as always with electronics for random reasons things can stop working i guess :}

*pounds table with fist while yelling at Geekster stop hitting yourself in the forehead.. it's gonna leave a mark* :}
  9. Geekster

Geekster New Member

I read in one of the one newspapers last year (before I joined EQ or got the MotoQ):
    that all appliances were made to fail within 10 years.
    All electronics, radios, DVD players, within 5 to 7 years (If your lasts longer good for you)
    Cell phones 4 years with very good care but obsolete in 2.
    It is in the manufacturers interest that things fail so the consumer will have to spend more money on a replacement.
    It was a selling point at one time to brag how long a product lasted. You don't see that anymore.
    I hope your phone is OK. I would go "crazy" (crazier?) if my phone even "burped"
    How is the test going?
    And I don't hit me hard. It hurts too much if I do.
  10. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

yea... if they make stuff too good and/or long lasting sales would go down too much :}

anyway.... test so far, good... something i haven't seen for the last about 2 weeks: Charge Complete..

i "spoke" with Speereo since it looked like it started when i installed their software which since has been removed from both pc and Q, only thing left is a grayed out option in Active Sync.. since i have tried several cables & batteries all signs point to the laptop - which contains everything that has to do with the Q so i would like to keep using it for it...

currently: idea less :]

thanks Geek.
  11. Geekster

Geekster New Member

I would see if there are any hardware/firmware updates on the laptop at the makers site.
    Boss just yelled at me, he said (I can't believe this) Blow out the holes!
    Let me explain...there might be dust in the slots on the PC & the phone. Open PC and re-seat USB cables to "frame".
    (Good he went to get us some lunch)
    Power supply loosing it's "umph"? Sometimes they can get to a point where all they can do is keep MoBo happy, then you ask for more power with the phone connection?
  12. Geekster

Geekster New Member

~~~double post~~~
    But one of my brain cells kicked into gear this afternoon ..
    How old is you laptop?
    Older laptops came with a restore disk w\c just wiped out the whole system but put all the drivers back to their original working state.
    Newer laptops you get a "drivers" disk & have to buy your own OS (tight wads)
    If you have a "drivers" disk can you install it and see if it would fix the issue on laptop? Windows XP has a long history of bit-root. You would have to re-configure a few things with the internet, but worth a shot ??
    Power users will take hard drive down to zero's and re-install everything every 2 years.
    Just a thought.
  13. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

Geek, thanks & i hope you didn't loose too much sleep over this. last night at home i had to hookup the Q to the laptop for something and i used the other usb slot... which charged, YEA.... i have to discuss some things with the bossman (i might move my office to a different warehouse from which i will control 3 locations in one network (whole different story all together) so i told him last night i am going to need a new laptop...

thx again.
  14. Geekster

Geekster New Member

OOhhh!!!! New laptop? That's good! You would get Vista or pay for a down grade to XP--some vendors will do that for you.
    **SECRET**
    When I got "fired" from my old job....old boss didn't ask for the laptop back. Last time I talked to him I asked him what he wanted me to do about the laptop & he said keep it till it blows up & bringing me everything that came with it. Well, I thought that was OK, too! :smile: It's now my photo storage till I burn a disk or put them on my portable HD.

Hope you get the new laptop. Get a big screen. Easier to read....
  15. bobby-n

bobby-n New Member

can i by your old 1 lol ?.
  16. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

this is still not resolved i think... well, i thought it was, but i am beginning to suspect the power in this +40 year old building :}

big screen.... dunno, + at work here i extend the screen to 2 with a extra flatscreen monitor (as could be seen in my office pics)