Does the Q9 support true SDIO?

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by ronenj, Jul 23, 2007.

1. ronenj

ronenj New Member

Does the Q9 support true SDIO?

Hi,

As someone looking into buying the Q9, does it support full SDIO bus (for example plug in a WiFi card through its SD slot)?

Thanks,
    Ronen
  2. MotoHelp

MotoHelp New Member

No, it won't support a WiFi card -- there isn't sufficient voltage. Are there microSD WiFi cards available?
  3. ppcmd

ppcmd New Member

There are microSD WiFi cards available and I cannot say for sure if the SDIO slot will or will not power the card. But the Moto Q9 appears to have WiFi built in but is inactive and would require a software update to unlock. Who knows may ATT will do that.
  4. clxa38

clxa38 New Member

where did you get your info from? where does it say that q9h will have wifi?
  5. ppcmd

ppcmd New Member

It was my understanding from posts on smartphonethoughts forum that I recalled being linked from everythingq that a user who had a Q9 found that it had WiFi but it was software disabled. So while its there the carrier has to allow it and I doubt AT&T will do that.
  6. clxa38

clxa38 New Member

i've read many reviews, even the cnet review over in the UK (http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/0,39030105,49290259,00.htm). theres no wifi
  7. ppcmd

ppcmd New Member

I have read the same reviews, but I have also read online reports that stated GPS and WiFi were there but software disabled and would not be enabled unless the carrier wanted them. Since I do not have a US unit I cannot fully prove or disprove this.

In either case WiFi sucks the battery life down anyways so why would you want it.
  8. clxa38

clxa38 New Member

i would like to see these reports you speak of because i've never came across a reliable report that said so
  9. Eugene

Eugene New Member

http://www.spectec.com.tw/ seems to have updated their web site recently and it now says Q gsm / q9m
    I'm waiting now for the q9m and have $ sitting in paypal to cover one of the spectec cards I see on ebay so I'll find out shortly after its released.
  10. clxa38

clxa38 New Member

anyone know if the q9m will be Rev A upgradeable?
  11. Eugene

Eugene New Member

I going to voip at home and would like the option to use the Q as my home phone handset as well bye running a viop client.
  12. Eugene

Eugene New Member

You probably should start a seperate thread, since Rev A is not related to the card slot someone with the answer might not be looking in this thread.
  13. tore71

tore71 New Member

wifi through usb

is there a way to have the wifi on q9 through the usb?
  14. clxa38

clxa38 New Member

i know there are wireless network adapters for laptops/computers that are powered via usb. if that's what you're talking about, then why would you want to carry THAT around along with your phone?
  15. tore71

tore71 New Member

Probably I am missing something and this is just a nonsense but if these network adapters worked with the q9 then I would have a wifi on my smartphone.
  16. clxa38

clxa38 New Member

but these usb network adapters are bulky and is probably the same size as the phone itself. Also, the usb network adapters are USB, not miniusb. So you're going to get another usb cable to even connect it. And the phones hardware might not even meet the hardware requirement for the software for the usb network cable to work on the phone itself.
  17. tore71

tore71 New Member

In my case if it worked it would be worth despite the cable and the big adapter.
  18. clxa38

clxa38 New Member

ok but the phone hardware/specs won't meet the minimum requirement to run the software
  19. Eugene

Eugene New Member

I have to quit posting at the office, stupid MSIE ate another post

I'd bet a usb wireless adapter won't work because USB decives are a master/slave config and the Q and wireless USB adapter are going to be both slave devices.