Does the Q9 have integrated GPS?

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by craftyk, Sep 6, 2007.

1. craftyk

craftyk New Member

Does the Q9 have integrated GPS?

Can anyone confirm if the Q9h (AT&T) will have integrated GPS? If not, are there other Q9 variations (i.e. Q9m) that do?
  2. troutseth

troutseth Guest

Not that can be accessed by an application. You need an external bluetooth receiver (typically bluetooth).
  3. OhMyGoshJosh

OhMyGoshJosh New Member

Huh, I was pretty sure it came with GPS. If you check out

http://www.geardiary.com/2007/06/18/motorola-q9h-quick-hit-review/

You can see one of the icons says "get the GPS app" or something like that. I'm pretty sure AT&T has been developing a propietary app that takes advantage of the integrated GPS.

I may have my info wrong, though. Everything is so speculative with At&t's total lack of information.

Josh
  4. troutseth

troutseth Guest

I should have been more clear . . none of the Qs to this point make use or open up the GPS. It is possible that the h may have GPS but I have seen nothing in print indicating that it will be integrated.

TeleNav is actually a third party providor not an ATT product and they have phone support on a long list of phones across all carriers.

That being said it is possible that ATT is working on something . . it is also possible that the screens you see have nothing to do with functionality. My only fear is that TeleNav never had support for the original Q on Sprint or on Verizon.

I suppose we will have to wait and see or Google to see if there are any leaked specs of the ATT version with GPS.
  5. HuckFinn

HuckFinn New Member

The Q9h does indeed have a built in GPS receiver that can be used by GMM and Live. These two applications work fine with it, but I have tried several of the other GPS utilities out there and they do not work. I am hoping that once this device gets out there some of the authors of these GPS utilities will update thier software to support this. I am just a geek and I want to be able to see the GPS data, such as speed, heading, location, etc - not just my location on a map.

-huckfinn
  6. troutseth

troutseth Guest

Does the Q9h work differently than the original Q? That would be great! the original Q allows programs like WLS to access the GPS for initial position so you can see location on a map. However it doesn't pass any location information that can be used for things such as directions. Hence you need a receiver. For that reason, it doesn't really work. It would be nice to know the Q9h has added that and you can use it with third party software. Did it?
  7. HuckFinn

HuckFinn New Member

The Q9h's built in receiver works well with Google Maps as well as Live Search. It will track your position and use GPS for directions. There are some bugs that need to be worked out, for example.

GMM

It is able to track the position just fine, directions work well as far as using your GPS location as the starting or stopping points. The one issue I have is that the turn by turn directions do not update as you pass a point. Also the map stays centered on your next turn, which again does not update as you pass the turn. So you need to interact with the device to keep it current. I do not know how this compares to the Q with an external GPS.

Live Search

It is able to track your position just fine. The turn by turn directions work great here, it updates the directions as to how far away the turn is and automatically updates to the next turn once you pass a point. There is also a "reroute from here" option. There is a bug though, if I try to use the current GPS location as a starting point - the program crashes or times out trying to talk to the GPS receiver. The work around I have used is to use "current map position" as the starting point once the GPS receiver is locked.

As far as third party software, I have tried a couple freeware/shareware titles and none of them work. I have a feeling that it has something to do with where they are looking for the GPS data. The one's I tried would only search through the COM ports where GMM used "Set by Windows" and Live Search used "GPS Intermediate Driver" as the GPS setting.

Now the unit I have is obviously an early prototype unit so things may change once it is officially released.
  8. troutseth

troutseth Guest

That is good to know! I will say I had some early conversations with the developers of WLS when it was in Beta . . . the aut re-route is the nature of the software not the GPS. It works the same with an external receiver. They said they were hoping to add it at some point but that it is an expensive software change (relatively).
  9. whaight

whaight New Member

Com ports for Google maps?

What are the settings in Google maps to recognize the Q's built-in GPS?
  10. troutseth

troutseth Guest

Can't tell you. I use WLS and we are talking about the new Q above, I have a first generation.
  11. whaight

whaight New Member

what are the com port settings in Google Maps?
  12. HuckFinn

HuckFinn New Member

Keep in mind we are talking about the newer Q9h - not the original Q. For GMM I had to use a COM port setting of "Set by Windows". I do not set the com port manually. For WLS is is "Windows Intermediate Driver" so again no manual com port setting.

I want to add that WLS with the built in GPS is very cool. The "reroute from here" option when using GPS is very nice. If you get off route the unit will ask you if you want to reroute. If you pick yes it will recalculate the route as expected. Very nice. From what I have played with WLS does a much better job of integrating with the GPS than GMM. Unless GMM makes some pretty major upgrades I will be sticking with WLS.

The only drawbacks I have with the integrated GPS receiver are that it does take some time to acquire lock, especially if you are moving and battery life. I am sure it is due to the combination of GPS and data access, but it is a battery hog. I have an hour long commute and if I leave home with a full charge and leave GPS and WLS active I will be down to two bars by the time I get to work. If I were to use this on a daily basis I would definately get a car charger. I use the aerial view so that makes for more data throughput as well, but I like it better. It is cool being able to see the buildings on the map as you drive down the street.
  13. adamb78

adamb78 New Member

How do you enable the GPS? I remember on the Q I think there was a setting where you could choose "911" or "Location" or something.

I have the Q9h EU edition and can't find this setting anywhere. Also GMM and WLS don't see the GPS.
  14. HuckFinn

HuckFinn New Member

Sorry to inform you but I do not think the EU version has the integrated GPS receiver. I had an EU version and it did not have the integrated GPS. I was able to get a north american version and it did. With the ATT software there are not any settings that indicate it has GPS, but GMM and WLS find it.