Does the new "my location" work for anyone?

Discussion in 'Windows Phone Software' started by garfong, Nov 28, 2007.

1. moe1up

moe1up New Member

I just installed this on Windows Live Search and it works pretty well. Here's what I did:

Go to Navizon.com on my phone.
    Create an account
    Sign in
    Download two different cabs.
    In Navizon, press start (left soft key)
    then press menu (right soft key) "Go to Map"
    you should see yourself (wave to the sky.....even if your in a building)
    (If location doesn't work in Navizon, you've got problems)

If this works okay,

In Navizon, go to Menu, GPS and change the "output virtual port" to COM0: (Virtual)
    Press Advance (right soft key) and check auto-start

Now go to Windows Live Search:

Go to Settings
    Change "No GPS" to GPS COM0.

Press done and go to the map
    Press menu and then "Center on GPS"

Wave to the sky again!

You can change the rate of data transfer in Navizon, I made mine to 600 secs (every 10 mins)

Hope it works for you guys. I'm in the A and I love it. Give you an update in a few days.
  2. ermax

ermax New Member

I tried this software a few months but it wouldn't run because none of the towers where maped yet in my area. I have a Bluetooth GPS now so I figured I would install Navizion again and see how the reporting thing worked. So far I have reported 47 towers on my way to and from work. I can now turn off the GPS and get a location from Navizion. This technology is really cool. Now I just need to drive the whole city so I don't need the GPS anymore.. hahaha. I am sitting at my desk at work and when I run Navizion with the GPS off it shows my location within about 500ft. Not bad. BTW, I am with Alltel and live in Jax, FL.
  3. cheri

cheri Active Member

this will be great when i get it to work. right now its about 10 miles off.
  4. Ryan Deen

Ryan Deen New Member

is everyone using the free version of Navizon? the 'Navizon Lite'?

Navizon also has a $25 version.....

so whose using what? :)
  5. cheri

cheri Active Member

freebie and not having much luck im stil on the sears point race track.
  6. ermax

ermax New Member

Hey, maybe if you buy the full version of Navizion maybe it can actually teleport you to the track. HAHAHA.. Don't we wish. :)
  7. cheri

cheri Active Member

lol around here yeah people would like the teleport to "infinion raceway" when things go on there traffic is a mess on two lane 37.

They do have days you can take your street vehcile and go at it. My son joked when he had an 83 VW van he was going to take it just to mess with people at the track lol
  8. Ryan Deen

Ryan Deen New Member

Hey Ermax, i live out in Macclenny, FL, but i work in the Baymeadows area....

how long did Navizon take to get a good location for you? right now, it has me located out in Ocala. :(
  9. ermax

ermax New Member

I drove with the GPS on to and from work two days and now it can put me on the map with my GPS turned off. I still isn't as good as true GPS. I haven't driven the baymeadows area yet. Maybe I will take a drive over there and map some towers for you. Who is your provider? I am with Alltel so I can only map CDMA towers. If you are with T-Mobile, ATT or any other GSM provider then my data will not help you. Where about on Baymeadows are you? I work close to where Phillips and Emerson intersect.
  10. Ryan Deen

Ryan Deen New Member

i'm with Verizon, so CDMA will work with me. i work near baymeadows and phillips.
  11. larsdennert

larsdennert Active Member

The instructions above for WLS also work for google. The full version of Navizon uses wifi towers to help triangulate. If your phone doesn't have wifi capability I suspect it is a waste of money. I also suspect that if towers are mapped in your area but by a phone with different reception characteristics than our Q that location will work differently and may not be as accurate. I think the googlemaps My Location feature tries to do this same method of location as Navizon.
  12. Ryan Deen

Ryan Deen New Member

i just noticed you have Bluetooth GPS....which i do not. i'm thinking this is going to make a huge difference....

where'd you get it and how many clams can i expect to dish out?
  13. ermax

ermax New Member

Cool. I will take a detour on my way home from work and make a pass down baymeadows. Are you east or west of phillips? It is amazing how many towers are out there. You look around and you don't really notice them. You drive around with this software and they pop up all over the place where you never even knew they existed. And from what I have seen so far, you can't go far off the mapped area before it gets lost. The towers are much closer together then you would think.
  14. Ltykr

Ltykr New Member

so how about that hack for the google maps... i cant even get it to find my city