Does the new "my location" work for anyone?

Discussion in 'Windows Phone Software' started by garfong, Nov 28, 2007.

1. moe1up

moe1up New Member

how do you have GPS set-up on the Q? Or can you point me to a thread?
  2. larsdennert

larsdennert Active Member

Ok let me drop the bomb. Navizon now provides location data to the Q! Free! With no external gps! I have the very original silver Q on verizon! Haven't messed with it much. I'm hoping that while moving it will be more accurate!
  3. larsdennert

Ok navizon can create a virtual gps that can be used by googlemaps too. I tried Navizon on the freway tonight. It had the east west position down pretty good but north south was off by maybe as much as a mile. Reading their FAQ really cleared up how this system works. They use people who's phone's have a gps (internal or external) to map where the cell towers are as they pass by based on signal strength and other complex math. This data is then available to those with no gps so they can use just the relative tower strengths to triangulate. Looking in my area, on their webiste, most of the mapping is Tmobile and ATT towers which my phone can't use.

The more mapping that gets done the more accurate it becomes! Slave a gps to your phone for a day of driving in your area and your area is permanently mapped for everyone and yourself!
  4. Stealth

Stealth New Member

Buy Bluetooth GPS, pair with your Q, Enable both devices and go into mapping program and select the GPS feature. this is a high level overview, if you search you can find more details.
  5. Spencer-Scott

Spencer-Scott New Member

what is navizgn?? do you have a link??
  6. larsdennert

www.navizon.com gps positioning when your phone doesn't have one. It's free. Sign up for an account. Here's my referal code if you want it.

5E585F5C5D

Works "ok". It's a mapping program like google but gives your position. Not as good as a real gps but better than none and it creates a virtual gps that google maps can get use data from too so you can have your position in your favorite mapping app.
  7. norkoastal

norkoastal New Member

Could you please explain the steps to make this happen.. I have both apps and would like to see Google maps look to Navizon for GPS coordinates... I have GPs, but this owuld be a nice backup if Im completely lost somewhere lol..
  8. BIGD

BIGD New Member

new "my location" in gmm works just fine on my q9c, just make sure its version 2.0.0
  9. Stealth

Stealth New Member

Of course it does, I am pretty sure the Q9c already has built in GPS..............
  10. dmty

dmty New Member

Come on, Who has this hack figured out?
  11. larsdennert

Assuming you have Navizon working where it is giving you position. Go into Options on Navizon, then gps, set the gps to "NO GPS (Navizon virtual GPS)", Baud 4800, Output Virtual port to Com8. I think you also need to set "Load Output Port as Device" in the advanced tab to make it continuously update.

Install googlemaps 2.0. In googlemaps setup the gps to com8/4800 too and then select Use gps on the options menu. If Navizon is running it will feed to google. You can use - + to zoom in the new googlemaps.
  12. Spencer-Scott

Spencer-Scott New Member

Ive done exactly this and i still cant get the "my location" feature to work
  13. larsdennert

Maybe I'm mistaken as to what "My location" is supposed to do. Maybe someone can tell me.

Using Navizon to feed location data, I get a blue dot in google that indicates where I am on the map. I just check "Use GPS" to do that. I don't use My Location.
  14. Spencer-Scott

Spencer-Scott New Member

what phone do you have.... the original moto q doesnt have gps and i tried the steps you told me and they didnt work
  15. larsdennert

I have the original silver vzw Moto Q that came with the original firmware right when it was released. It has been upgraded with MOL 1, 2, 3. Any more original and it would be a prototype.
  16. Spencer-Scott

Spencer-Scott New Member

well heck i dont know whats wrong can you make a walk through and ill try it again (i really want this to work) i appreciate it
  17. Spencer-Scott

Spencer-Scott New Member

how do you give navizon to give you your position in the first place
  18. kram

kram New Member

I could get it to work, great find. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

However it is off by a mile. Would any tweaks help ?

19. SPRINTMOTOQ

SPRINTMOTOQ New Member

Incentive To Buy A Bt Gps Unit???

.# mappedPoints WiFi AP00 Cells00

Total:
    1 WiFi AP = 2 Points
    1 Cell Tower = 10 Points​
    You have claimed 0 rewards​
    You have 0 new rewards available​
    Each reward will be converted to $19.99 when redeemed. The funds will be sent to your Paypal account. The Paypal fee in the amount of $0.40 will be deducted.​
    My Paypal account:

This is rather interesting!? I live in Downtown Chicago and this thing pinpointed me to my exact location. I walked about 10 feet and it told me I was on the Side. Then strolled another 10 feet and back home. Interesting concept. I applaud the developer of this technology. I wonder what sprint thinks about them plotting the location of towers?

Check out the website. You have to register there for free then get the CAB from your cell.

www.navizon.com

If you'd like REFERRAL CODE:
    5C5F5C565857

Thanks, have a good one!
  20. xghostx

xghostx New Member

wish i could get it to work correctly but it keeps showing me in NYC?