Does the new "my location" work for anyone?

Discussion in 'Windows Phone Software' started by garfong, Nov 28, 2007.

1. lexluthor

lexluthor New Member

Come on. Help us out here, please. What are these registry edits, if they are real?

The mods have any way to track this guy down and remind him to come back?
  2. john doe iii

john doe iii New Member

Sorry for the late reply, as I was out of the country.

Yes - I have the black Q (older version).... my buddy refused to email the hack on how he did this for me. He's a VZ field tech and said the menu he uses CAN NOT be leaked out to the public.

So the only other thing I can think of is a copy of my registry or sprite back up if anybody is interested in looking at that .... let me know and I can email you a copy of my registry/backup.
  3. norkoastal

norkoastal New Member

Hmm.. Im sure someone here could disect that info for the rest of us once provided... Google seems to have beef with M$oft and its really ticking me off, lol although this is a free program..
  4. dmty

dmty New Member

somthing like ##*?
  5. Stealth

Stealth New Member

maybe ##073887* discussed in these forums several times, but not sure what he did from then???? If this was used at all?
  6. fvultee1

fvultee1 New Member

I'm guesing this thread is dead... too bad too, would be nice if sonmeone figured this out. We al know the Q supports mylocation, hmm...
  7. ajwalker

ajwalker New Member

yeah, looks like the info has dried up.

But I can report, while not necessarily "My Location" Google Maps does a bang up job with the GPS in my Q9h. But then again, that's how GPS is supposed to work anyway.

I'll live without "My Location" since AT&T doesn't seem to be forcing me to go through TeleNav to use my GPS.
  8. Spencer-Scott

Spencer-Scott New Member

It isnt dead yet....Im waiting on john doe iii to email me the backup
  9. dmty

dmty New Member

I hope you can figure it out i could really use this
  10. Spencer-Scott

Spencer-Scott New Member

ya he hasnt been on for a week or two
  11. moe1up

moe1up New Member

i tried and played with "my locations" on a blackberry pearl, and i must say........IT IS COOL AS HELL!!!!!
    i really hope we can get it working for the q.
    also as a sign of relief, my homie has a mogul and his is a no go as well.
  12. moe1up

moe1up New Member

btw, windows live just added the speak option in live search.....no more typing searches, but just say the search and voila.

live search>google maps (until my locations works)
  13. beestea

beestea New Member

Would love to have the google mobile maps my location working on my Sprint Q... so I will keep watching this thread.

And btw moe, you are absolutely right... Microsoft did an amazing job with the new Live Search ( I think its been updated as of a month or so ago).

The voice recognition actually encodes, uploads to MS server, then sends back the results. Its very quick and accurate.

The interface on Live Search is way better that google maps as well. I love being able to find a restaurant, then find near by movie theaters and movie times, then finding the closest gas station with the lowest prices on the way home... and you can do all of this in about 4-5 clicks.
  14. ermax

ermax New Member

The thing I hate most about WLS is the fact that you can't browse the map for a location and then simple search for food in that area. It first prompts you to give the location a name which requires more typing. Then you can search the area. And to make things even worse is you now have a permanent location on your list that can't be renamed or deleted. So when I am on the interstate in some small town that I never intend on going to ever again, I have to add that location to my list permanently. This is insane. With GMM I can simply scroll the map until I find an exit close to me and then hit the search button and type food and I am done.

The voice recognition is very nice in WLS but the rest of the interface blows. Yeah it has more eye candy but the whole location thing blows the whole program. If they gave you a way to maintenance the location list I may be willing to deal with it. Until then I will stick with GMM.
  15. GldnBear

GldnBear New Member

I use WLS and you do not need to create a location to do the search you are looking for. You are right about having to create a location for Search Near Here, but there is a simpler way to do this. Go to the main screen and select Speak. Say 'Food near Anytown, Anystate'. It will come back a list of choices near there. Click Map on one of the choices. You will see all the items pinned on the map. All this is done without typing one character.

I have the same problem when I try to use GMM. When I try to use the WLS way in GMM, it is very clumsy and I cannot understand why anyone would use this program.
  16. moe1up

moe1up New Member

Hey ERMAX,
    I guess to each is his own, but I will agree that on the move consistantly, GMM is greater, but because I am generally in the same city, WLS is greater for me.

I not a WLS fan boy completely, but I am eagerly waiting for "my locations" on GMM.

I have read on other pages, that basically there is a catfight between Google and Windows mobile resulting in no support or released fixes for "my locations" on Window Mobile devices. I really don't care about that non-sense, but will just wait it out. Until then WLS it is.............
  17. egmurray

egmurray New Member

Hello,
    I was disappointed about having to type in a new location until I tried this: Browse the map to anywhere, from the menu choose "search near here", the next screen will be the "name location" screen and it will say "map location", click done and it will say location already exists, overwrite and it will bring you to the search screen where you can choose what you are searching for. It will bring up the list as if you typed the name of the city. It is actually easier than it sounds; only a few clicks, but at least you can browse the map and do a search!
  18. moe1up

moe1up New Member

this work great....i just tried it. WLS>GMM (still)
  19. ermax

ermax New Member

Thanks for the tip. I will give it a shot.
  20. Stealth

Stealth New Member

I just retired WLS, based on your guy's comments, it is much better than it used to be. The satelite imagery is much improved. I haven't tried with with my BT GPS yet but plan to soon. I still would like the my location feature to work in googlemaps, so I don't have to pull it out every time.