Do I need the unlimited data plan w/ Verizon?

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by m0toq, Jun 6, 2010.

1. m0toq

m0toq New Member

Do I need the unlimited data plan w/ Verizon?

I just bought a new, unused motorola q on ebay (regular Q, not q9m/c) for verizon wireless. I'll probably hardly ever visit webpages, so I want the $9.99/25mb data plan just to check my live.com email a couple times a day and maybe visit a few pages here and there. Do I need to get the unlimited data plan like with blackberrys? thanks
  2. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

no the Q does not need the unlimited data plan to be activated
    for me personally to get the most of your your Q unlimited would be the way to go
  3. m0toq

m0toq New Member

Okay, thanks. Someone else told me that since it's considered a "smartphone", it HAS to have the unlimited plan because Verizon just made that rule recently.
  4. n99hockey

i dont think you can use the 9.99 plan since thats for 'feature phones' but there is a cheaper plan than the unlimited plan
  5. m0toq

m0toq New Member

Thanks. I see the $1.99/mb pay-as-you-use plan. I think I may go with that. Approximately how much bandwidth does the average popular website (msnbc/msn/yahoo) use every time I access it? And when I set up my live.com email, it doesn't really use much space since it's built into the application on the phone instead of the actual website, right? It would pretty much just be the content of the email that I would be using up in bandwidth, right? So checking a few news sites a day and viewing 1-2 emails a day shouldn't be more than a few megabytes a month, right?
  6. n99hockey

honestly i dont know how much those sites use, never had to worry about it
    and well email is only as much as the email itself

just be careful, it adds up quick if you dont pay attention
  7. ryant35

ryant35 Member

Yes Windows Like does use the application, so it only downloads your email, not all the graphics and text like the website would. So it should use less bandwidth. You can also set the message preview size to a small number of characters then choose which emails to actually download. Windows Live uses characters instead of kb like the other emails you can set up on the phone.

I am about half way through the billing cycle and I've used 714mb. I have 4 different email accounts and I use the internet a lot.

Try it for a couple of days and go to your account online and see how much bandwidth you used and how much you are paying.
  8. mking8288

mking8288 Member

On my newer Q9c on VZW's network and with the WM 6.1's IE browser, I used about 12 to 15 MB of data each month on the average - more or higher when we travel (vacation mode - checking emails, etc. on the go) with light to moderate usage, no youtube/facebook or streaming on the mobile browser - and I had the $29.99 smartphone plan discounted by 22%, so it wasn't bad. Messaging was set to check 3 email accounts every 2 or 4 hours (4 or 8 hours when I'm on vacation mode) on the device. Install Opera Mini (4.2) on the device and it will probably lower your MB usage due to compression, etc. Also, if you limit to just downloading email headers and/or then just open those that you want to read (by downloading the rest/more of the file) - and, skip graphics/videos & attachments, you will reduce your rate of data consumption further.

It is therefore possible to keep monthly usage to between 5 MB (very difficult & lots of discipline) and 10 MB (probably can be done) - with usage charges & taxes/fees/surcharges, your monthly subtotal would still be close to/just over $20 on top of your voice plan subtotal.

The Q is an older phone on VZW and you can opt to use PAYG option, or you could even block data access and just use it as a PDA via the usb connection. MY current HTC Ozone is using more data since it has richer features, including QuickGPS/Google Maps & MS Myphone, so my usage is up and generally between 20 MB & 30 MB monthly.

Just a thought, you might want to start off the 1st. month with the unlimited smartphone plan, monitor your daily/weekly usage and make adjustments at month #2, either staying with the unlimited plan or switch to PAYG plan once you're established your usage pattern & consumption rate, and, not having to worry about getting billed for a hefty bill for usage above & beyond your estimated calculation of data usage.