Do i HAVE to have a data plan to activate my Moto W with Verizon?

Discussion in 'Verizon Wireless' started by coolguy827, Jul 25, 2008.

1. coolguy827

coolguy827 New Member

Spork27 THANK YOU VERY MUCH. I purchased a black moto Q off ebay just now and read this thread and thought oh my god :eek: then i saw your post and i understood the pay as you go plan is just there, just like you can buy games buy do not have to. THANKS, you are t he only one who made sense, everybody else made it seem like i had to add a plan that i pay for. Guys i know about the pay as you go plan.
    Once again, thank you spork27 :)
  2. Eugene

Eugene New Member

The terminology is the key here. Verizon says you have to have a plan and the pay as you go (with data block) is a valid plan, weather or not people on a forum consider pay as you go a plan or not doesn't matter since your not activating a phone with them, what matters is Verizons defination.
  3. spork27

spork27 Member

This makes sense, it really just depends on whether you consider pay as you go a plan. I guess I don't just because when I bought my Q9m the sales rep didn't either, which is why she says that Verizon doesn't require a data plan with smartphones.

If you consider pay as you go a data plan then Verizon requires a data plan with all smartphones.

If you don't consider pay as you go a data plan then Verizon doesn't require a data plan with all smartphones.

Either way I think this thread has made it pretty clear what you do need on your account.
  4. Marvelous Merv

Marvelous Merv New Member

My point isn't whether or not Verizon will activate the phone, or if they require activation, it's pointing out that at $15 per MB your phone can easily rack up $30 in fees by simply accessing your typical hometown newspaper to check movies or a sports score. The front page of my newspaper averages 1MB in content. Simply downloading Google Maps and NOT using it could cost more than monthly data plan.

Simply be aware that if you don't buy unlimited data with this phone on Verizon it could cost you a bloody fortune if you access data unintentionally, and telling customer service later, once you have your $500+ bill in hand that you "didn't know that program was accessing data" won't get you one iota of sympathy.
  5. backdown00

backdown00 New Member

I'm sorry for trying to be helpful, I will never do it again. :frown:
  6. spork27

spork27 Member

Backdown, I appreciate our discussion. It's always good to have explanations of things in different ways, and always good to remember that there's more than one road that leads to same conclusion.
  7. Eugene

Eugene New Member

Sales reps will say whatever you want to hear to help make the sale, and they are usually not the most technical. Back in the pc shop days we had a salesman who called 3.5" floppies "hard didks" so when a pc came into service with a "hard disk problem" we always had to verify if it was the hard disk of floppy.
    So there is no "if you consider pay as you go a plan", Verizon says pay as you go is a plan and thats what matters.
  8. manbat

manbat Active Member

<p>&lt;p&gt;&amp;lt;p&amp;gt;
    &amp;lt;/p&amp;gt;&lt;/p&gt;</p>
    <p>&lt;p&gt;&amp;lt;p&amp;gt;&amp;amp;nbsp;&amp;lt;/p&amp;gt;&lt;/p&gt;</p>
    <p>&lt;p&gt;&amp;lt;p&amp;gt;=================================Unlike games...even MMS picture and video messages ARE data. If you pick by default "pay as you go" and do not do a data block.... bills can get very big,very easily. very quickly. A data block eliminates the ability to use google maps, live search and even programs like fizz weather and pocket weather. Basically anything that requires updating. Some very usefull stand alone mobile apps can only be registered with a working internet connection. Just a little more information. Enjoy your Q. And you can't do this, without data being active. Posted via Q9m, manbat
  9. nerotoxen

nerotoxen New Member

I dunno if this helps at all but I had 2 lg 9900's 1 for me 1 for my wife. A friend of mine had a Q9m and wanted to trade. So I did trade him and activated the Q9m on my nation fam. select share thingy. No data plan at all. I put the block on. Not a thing changed in my bill.:2cool: and I came out on top of the LG Q trade... We traded straight up, and his was a new one from insurance claim!:laugh2:
  10. Eugene

Eugene New Member

Actually the data block does not eliminate the ability to use apps such as google maps, it simply eliminated data from going over verizon's network. I've used google maps and other maps over wifi just fine. There are more ways to have a working internet connection than verizon's overpriced data plans.
  11. Eugene

Eugene New Member

What it biols down to is the sales reps don't want to or have time to argue over what someone else calls a data plan, and some people are going to call it what they want to no matter what they are told so they just plug in the pay as you go plan and move on to the next customer.
  12. manbat

manbat Active Member

<p>
    </p>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>
    <p>=================================wifi is hot spot only...with live search and an unlimited data plan you can get door to door,turn by turn GPS guidance. helpful sometimes. Posted via Q9m...with no wifi hotspot.
  13. Eugene

Eugene New Member

Assuming your in places that you can get a data connection. I've found more wifi than data. Rest stops along the highway in several states have wifi but I'm far enough away from towers to get a reliable data connection. Then at home the speed of my internet is about 10x faster than the verizon data connection.
  14. coolguy827

coolguy827 New Member

ROFLL!!! Kidding :)
  15. coolguy827

coolguy827 New Member

Will i be able to send picture and video messages through text messaging if i block the data plan? And if i choose the pay as you go plan, the pic and video messages are considered DATA??
  16. spork27

spork27 Member

If you block data you will be unable to send and receive MMS messages (pictures and video messages). I don't send picture messages at all and rarely get any, when I do I just check them online when I get to a computer.

If you choose pay as you go MMS messages are considered data and you will be charged data prices for them.
  17. manbat

manbat Active Member

==================================I do live in D\FW so towers are everywhere. I have driven from Fort Worth to Laredo and only rarely lost signal. My whole phone runs from my 8GB sdhc card...so I only rarely take it out. I do have a wifi card that I take on trips...you are right...much faster on wifi..just no storage space and all my apps are on the card. So my Q9m drops to basic with the sdhc card out and the wifi card in.
  18. coolguy827

coolguy827 New Member

MAN!! thats so stupid
    verizon nickels and dimes their customers EVERY SINGLE CHANCE THEY GET!!!
    stupid cheapskapes :(
    i dont want a $500 bill so i guess i will have to stop sending and receives pics and vids :( i wish there was a way around!
    what a bummer =(
  19. backdown00

backdown00 New Member

Thats an iffy one. Reason being is Verizon recently changed their policy * byrecently I mean end of 07). If you have a texting plan and send/receive MMS with pay as you go data, you are not supposed to be charged anything. Even though its data, Verizon is suppose to have the texting plan cover it.

I have heard of people sending MMS with the pay as you go data plan and not being charged for it, and I have also heard the opposite. what people do with the pay as you go data plan, if they are charged for MMS and have a texting plan, they call up CS and it would seem a quick call will credit back to your account any money that was billed for the data.
  20. nerotoxen

nerotoxen New Member

I have to agree with you on that one! When I got my Q activated mid contract I didn't want a data plan. I told the guy and everything. Well after a few days I got a pic msg and thought it was pretty cool! Then I called them just to make sure I wasn't getting billed for it. Welp push comes to shove I was getting charged for the unlim. data plan that I had asked NOT to have. The lady appologized and cradited me my accnt.