Do all Q9h's have a GPS chip?

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by ccer, Jan 23, 2008.

1. ccer

ccer New Member

Hi,

I'm in Australia and have a Q9h on Telstra. I have had no success in activating the GPS from any a application, despite installing the activation and test patches.

Somebody mentioned that only the Q9h Global has the GPS chip.

Can anyone confirm?
  2. mexiken

mexiken New Member

LOL, you opened up a can of worms. (lol, sorry, little inside joke for those who have read my thread from about 4 days ago, don't pay any attention to it)

The US version of the Q9h (AT&T calls it the Q Global) does indeed, with 100% certainty, have a GPS chip inside of it.

Now, here is where I may need help. If I'm not mistaken, the European version of the Q9h does not have GPS, but has WiFi instead. I don't even know if Australia would count as European to Motorola anyway. I remember reading in early November that the Q has WiFi, but from what I read, it turned out it was the European version, and it ditched GPS for WiFi. You can verify that for yourself. Again, I can be totally wrong, so please don't take my word with certainty. I just Googled "European Q9h" and couldn't find anything.

You can however, download the GPSID utility and GPS Test (do Google searches for them) and do some rather simple tests to determine whether your model has it or not. Let me know if you need any help, I'd be glad to help you figure it out once you've installed those. I'd like to know actually what, if any, differences are for the Australian version. Let me know either way what you find out, I like being informed =)
  3. ccer

ccer New Member

Thanks for the quick response. I've already tried the GPDIS and GPS Test utilities. No response from the Moto.

I just thought it strange that Motorola would build different hardware models for different markets. I would have expected the same internals for all, with different features enabled depending on the market.

BTW, mine does not have WiFi either, as far as I know. Does that need to be enabled or should it work right out of the box.

Thanks again.
  4. mexiken

mexiken New Member

If it had WiFi, it would work right out of the box. Forget I ever said that, I saw a link to Amazon that would sell you a WiFi enabled Q9h, but I remember reading (can't remember exactly where) that it was the European version.

You probably have the "US" version of the Q9h, or one with the same specs. Here is the way to determine whats going on:

• Open up the GPSID utility. Set the program port to COM 1 or 3, doesn't matter which, but choose ONLY one of those two. It makes a difference battery-wise.
    • Leave the hardware port to none.
    • Set the baud rate to whatever you like. I chose 9600, just to be safe.
    • Restart the phone.
    • Now, open up GPS Test, let it find the COM, and tell me what it says at the top near the colored circle AFTER you've done all the above.
    Try it and get back to me.
  5. ccer

ccer New Member

Did all that,

set to Com:3
    Restart phone
    Run GPS Test
    It starts at Com:1, goes to Com:2, then to Com:3 and thats where its stops with the comment "Scanning COM:3"

No change after 10 minutes....

Also for what its worth, I dont have the LCAService entry in my registry. I'm wondering if I need a different ROM before I can activate GPS?
  6. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Did you set the GPS Test for COM 3 and matching baud rate ???? Try that. It doesn't take more than a min or two to start the test. Don't wait 10 mins this time.

The LCA hack only puts an icon there. Try it, but its less informative than GPS Test is. Make sure you restart after you turn it on.
  7. ccer

ccer New Member

I had set GPS Test to auto, auto.

Now changed it to Com:3 and 9600

Beside the red circle it says "Looking for GPS unit"
  8. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Hm. Not good. Mine does that, but for like 1/2 a second.

I would try calling your cell phone company to verify there is a GPS chip on the model they carry. Or go on their website and see if you can find it. If they say yes, you have a faulty chip I would assume. The only phone I've heard of STILL having problems after installing and doing what you did, is the BJ II.
  9. mexiken

mexiken New Member

10. dwboston

dwboston New Member

11. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Thanks. Glad someone could help out on that.
  12. ccer

ccer New Member

Thanks for your help guys!

Looks like its back to the TynII for GPS. Pity, I like the Motorola form factor.
  13. DrQ

DrQ New Member

Most of us original Q users settled for a Bluetooth GPS. Good luck mate...cheers!
  14. newtq

newtq New Member

I also have an Australian Q9 on Telstra, but I can't even seem to pair my gps receiver with my phone.
    Where on the 'Bluetooth Manager' screen can you add a gps receiver? It only has the following
    1 Hands-free
    2 Personal Network
    3 Stereo Headset
    4 Keyboard Input
    5 PIM Synchronisation
    6 Settings

The furthest it get is, the phone detects my gps unit with a green ?, but comes up with service not found.

Can anyone piont me in the right direction???

Newtq
  15. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Never tried that. You might try calling Telstra or Motorola for help with that.
  16. zenkinz

zenkinz New Member

you need to make sure your gps software connects to your bluetooth receiver via COM1.

17. kimba58

kimba58 New Member

I Think only USA Q9h Globals have GPS chip. All other Q9h Euro and Asia don't have the chip.

Kimba58:smile: