Disabling data

Discussion in 'Moto Q Hacks' started by awseft, Nov 9, 2007.

1. awseft

awseft New Member

Disabling data

I'm pretty sure I've seen this in the Hacks forum before but I can't find it. Maybe someone can help me.

I have a moto q and have been using it with an unlimited data plan. I'm trying to change my cell plan to one that does not have data. I don't use the data that often and I don't need my email every 15 minutes like I use to.

Is it better to just get a new phone or is there a way to stop the phone from sending/receiving data (be it email, internet, anything data that will charge me). The company will not turn this off for me and only offer a new phone ($200+) or a pay-as-you-go data plan (I'm ok with it if I can stop my phone from asking for data).

This shouldn't affect my text/pic messages should it?

Help! Thanks!
  2. beargibs

beargibs New Member

Edit the settings for your whatever email you're using

Click on messaging/select your email acct./click the right softkey and select "Account options"/Select your email acct./click edit/ go throught menu process it pulls up/ the last option should be "check for new messgs.(send/receieve) every "x" amount of time"/select "never". That will tell the phone to never push email to your phone unless you manually press "send/receive". You can also go to settings/pcs vision(or whatever carrier you're using) (its the last option in the settings menu) and select "disable vision (or whatever your internet is called). This will prevent you from accidently connecting to the internet.
  3. awseft

awseft New Member

Got it. I actually deleted the email addresses. So it won't do it at all. :2cool:
    My settings doesn't have that option. I have Verizon. =(
  4. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

you could consider getting a date-block..
  5. awseft

awseft New Member

A what? :frown:
  6. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

call your carrier and tell them you want to block data.. a data block.
  7. awseft

awseft New Member

They said they can only block application downloads through their "V-cast" and "get-it-now". Which wouldn't block the internet
  8. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

really ?... i have never actually requested it but i heard various mentions of this data block here on EQ..

anyone else ?
  9. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

or head to the hack section and use the 'password for data use' this way anytime it attempts to use the internet/data it will prompt you for a password before connecting
  10. Umple

Umple New Member

This CAN be done with Verizon because I have it blocked on my account. After receiving 2 false (and HUGE) data bills while on a limited data plan with Verizon I switched from my BB(Which has a required data plan) to the Q.

I talked to the drones at our area Verizon store and they told me that data could not be blocked and just to be carefull not to use it otherwise I would get a per Kb charge... I talked to the Manager and she said the same thing.. and told me the best way would be to subscribe to the unlimited data for $45/mo (Nothing like trying to take more money from a customer that already felt ripped off.)

This didn't sound right so I called customer service and talked to Tia and Debra (Sorry I don't have thier extensions). Tia put a block on my data so that there is no chance of getting a data charge.
  11. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

unfortunately this happens too often, reps contradicting each other... thanks for the insight.
  12. Umple

Umple New Member

I just looked up my contact info This is who I talked with to get my data disabled. This can only be done on NON-BB smartphones.. I guess BB has a contract with Verizon.

Dial *611 from your cell phone or (800) 922-0204 from a land line. My contacts were Debra x2166 and Tia x2030. These are voicemail only so you will need to leave a message and they will call back...
  13. Bramsy

Bramsy New Member

******if you disable data, text messaging works fine, BUT you cannot send/recieve picture messages!!!*****

biggest scam if you ask me, but whatcha gonna do? get an iPlop? umm no
  14. BoneHead

BoneHead New Member

Here's quick way to disable internet

Go to settings>connections>GPRS>Media Net (on the ATT version) and change one of the internet connection values such as ACCESS POINT.

I just put an "s" in front of "wap.cingular" to make it "swap.cingular".

When you try to use the internet, the connection will fail.

There may be a better way, but this keeps me from accidently hitting the ATT button and connecting to their MediaNet and is easy to change back.

Ultimatley, you could configure a new GPRS connection called for example "DUD" and put in values you know will not work...like 192.168.1.1 for the ip address. Actually, I think it only reqires a name in the first box and can be saved leaving all the rest of the data blank.

Then got to settings>connections and hit MENU>advanced...
    In the Internet connection selection box "DUD" should now show up along with "Media Net" and "automatic" as choices. Choose DUD and you should be a DUD to the internet.

I did not try this but it would give you an easy way to enable or disable the internet I think.
  15. SilverSVT

SilverSVT New Member

I have done this too, luckily after only 1 large bill though.

I agree, I have 500 pic and text messages and cannot use the pic message b/c I have a smart phone. WTF, but it's better than $40+ extra bills b/c I bumped sumpin.
  16. bat41

bat41 New Member

Disabling Data on Mot Q Verizon Works so far ...

Don't know if anyone has given feedback on a prior post entitled,
    Password Protecting the Internet, on, 01-08-2007, 04:42 PM but here is what I've done.

After doing a 20 minute search I tried the registry edit procedure, given in the above post, to try to disable my MOT Q from initiating a data connection when starting IE from the Q.

My goal is to use the Q for texting only and don't want to pay $44.99 for unlimited internet, nor the pay as you go option. I was on the pay as you go plan but, despite all my efforts to not use data, my bill always said I did.

The previously mentioned thread suggested turning on a couple registry bits to force the user to input a username/password. This didn't work as there is no way to set the password to begin with, entering a bogus user/password and clicking ok allowed the link to be brought up.

However, in the same registry entry I tried flipping the Enable setting to "0" instead of "1" in the "Broadband Access" entry and the "Express Network" entry.

The phone works fine. When I start IE on the Q, I don't see the data connection icons come on and the phone says my Internet connection is not configured properly and the link does NOT come up.

Other notes:

1) I had to use aeconfig and it worked fine. I found the instructions a bit terse so I'll try to clarify where I got lost.

After you download the aeconfig zip file to your PC and upzip it there will be two folders, a "StartMenu" and a "Temp" folder. Copy whatever is in the "StartMenu" folder to the Q's filesystem at \Windows\Start Menu. Copy whatever is in the "Temp" folder to the Q's filesystem at \Temp.

2) I used MRE and it was very straigtforward once the registry was unlocked with aeconfig.

I'll try to follow up once I verify, via checking a couple of my future bills, that this method works for sure and that there aren't any unknown side effects.

Hope this helps someone.