Did you know...

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by jerryjr, Jun 26, 2006.

1. QPeach

QPeach New Member

Did you know you can bypass the voicemail code altogether (at least on Sprint) by calling your voicemail, enter 3 for Personal Options, enter 1 for settings and enter 1 again for "skip passcode". Once you set that up, when you call voicemail, you will be told right away whether you have voicemail and can choose to listen, skip, delete, etc as usual.

2. armyturtle

armyturtle New Member

I have two tips (I'll place in two separate posts)

On Sprint Q's:

Field Test Mode: ##33284# ---> SEND/CALL
  3. armyturtle

armyturtle New Member

(Sprint) Turn off annoying instructions on how to leave a voice message for people that get your voice mail:

Voice mail > Change personal options (Press 3) > Greetings (Press 2) > Change your main greeting (Press 1) > To add or remove the caller instructions that are played after your greeting (Press 3), now (press 2) to confirm turning of the instructions off.

What callers reaching your VM would normally hear (by default) with instructions on:

First they hear your personalized VM greeting... then this crap on top of it (no wonder so many people don't leave VM's):
    "To leave a voice message, press 1, or just wait for the tone. To send a numeric page, press 2 now." [long torturous pause] "At the tone, please record your voice message. When you are finished recording, you may hang up or press 1 for more options." [another fake-out pause]

What they now hear when calling you:

"Hi, this is me, I can't get to the phone, leave a message, blah blah..." BEEP!
  4. armyturtle

armyturtle New Member

A great application for using GPS (separate bluetooth gps device only) to send your position to a website where you can share with other people where you are: www.trackr.eu (FREE)

My live link (when I have GPS on): http://trackr.eu/user/armyturtle/live
    (feel free to add me as a friend if you create an account)
  5. raborn

raborn New Member

The following will produce a hard Reset on Verizon Q's

With the phone off...
    Press Z and E then press power button to Power on.
    Remember you will lose all your personal data.
  6. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

note: this is for Q9m

original Q just hold down the center silver button while the phone is turning on
  7. gorgarath

gorgarath New Member

This is also for the Q9m. Didn't know about the other way, but I think this is a lot simpler. *lol* 2 buttons to hold as opposed to 3.
  8. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

did you know...

Most of the lurkers have started posting in the Q9m giveaway thread
  9. Raptor9458

Raptor9458 New Member

This may have been posted before, but the file "pim.vol" in the root directory contains all your contacts and calendar events and an be copied to a storage card to save the data before a master reset.

Just copy it back to the root directory, replacing the existing file after the reset, then reboot your phone and you're good to go.
  10. TabletGuy

TabletGuy New Member

Did You Know Thread

This thread contains a lot of great ideas.

May I suggest one of the administrators collate the ideas and put in one file as a sticky.

You could collate them manually but this would be a tremendous asset to newbies like myself.
  11. merida

merida New Member

Ring type

[removed long ass not working link]
    Did you know that if you go to “Profiles” highlight the a profile you would like to modify. Got menu, edit, ring type… you can set it to ring and vibrate or vibrate then ring ect…
  12. GaToRzNeVrLoSe

GaToRzNeVrLoSe New Member

Did You Know..

That if you take about a foot of toilet paper, and fold it into layers. Then put a drop or two of water on it and lightly rub your screen, it will take all the smudges away.
  13. Corey H

Corey H New Member

idk if this has been posted yet and excuse me if it has but....

did you knw that if you press the speaker phone button multiple times fast it will set the profile to normal?
  14. Boycan

Boycan New Member

This is more of a tip than a did you know but it is relevent I think. I work on the roads of Texas and have found numerous phones laying alongside the highways and I always look through the contacts or recent calls and have been very successful in getting many phones returned home. :laugh2: So with my new Q9c I use the lock function since it has so much more personal info on it than a normal phone so what I did was I renamed the outdoor profile which is what I use most to " if found PLEASE call XXX-XXXX" which is my home phone #. This can be seen from the home screen in case I loose it maybe someone like myself would find it and try to return it to me. And if not then it is still password protected.
  15. toomanyhandles

toomanyhandles Member

Google SMS Services replaces many data/browsing uses

http://www.google.com/intl/en_us/mobile/default/sms/index.html

or search for google SMS services

If you send a text message to 466453 (or "GOOGLE")

you can have many types of items sent back to you- no need for web surfing!

mapquest-style routes from point A to point B (v. useful!)
    weather reports
    food options in your area

the link above lists 15 or 20.

I use this quite a bit when traveling now, it's often faster or more convenient than surfing/ doesn't hit my limited data plan.
  16. thewizardatst24

thewizardatst24 New Member

IP Utility

In your \Windows subdirectory is an interesting utility... IPUtil.exe. It lets you show your IP config, ping, DNS Lookup and release/restore IP. Made a shortcut and placed it in my system tools subdirectory.
  17. seklax22

seklax22 New Member

did you know?

when in calculator mode if you press the key with the hyphen on it, it subtracts, same with + key and if you press forward slash it divides, star key it multiplies

A= multiply
    V= divide
    I= add
    U= subtract
  18. seklax22

seklax22 New Member

When you are in recent calls if you press a numeric or alphabetic key it filters the recent calls
  19. I8qbert

I8qbert Active Member

press and hold the home key for a quick list menu...oldie but worth re mentioning ;)
  20. ParaCAD

ParaCAD New Member

Did you know on the Q9h if you are typing and you hold a character down, a small window pops up with the other text types/options for that specific letter.

Hold "a" will give you - ä, æ, å, à, á, â, and so on.

I have no use for any of those characters, but someone may want a shortcut to them.