Did anybody try Youtube Mobile?

Discussion in 'Windows Phone Software' started by RBJ, Jun 18, 2007.

1. RBJ

RBJ New Member

Did anybody try Youtube Mobile?

Guys,
    Check out Youtube's mobile website. http://m.mobile.com

I tried it but the video format is in 3gp and Q gives me an error.
  2. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

it can't find that web site... plus if you can't play certain formats you probably miss a codec..
  3. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

yea the page doesnt come up...perhaps you miss-typed
  4. n99hockey

5. Hitokiri

Hitokiri New Member

yeah, I cant open it either

rtsp://rtsp.youtube.com/youtube <- thats the media player link
  6. n99hockey

yea i can get the link to go to WMP but it gives me an error message....
  7. regression

regression New Member

Yeah, I'm getting "An unknown error 0X80004005 has occurred."
  8. RBJ

RBJ New Member

Sorry about the wrong URL guys.
    n99hockey is right. The actual URL is http://m.youtube.com

So am I missing any codec ?
  9. abrigham

abrigham New Member

Looks like the problem is the Q is missing RTSP support. The videos themselves are in 3GP format (which works fine using TCPMP or WMP) but instead of transfering over HTTP (normal web) protocol, they're coming over RTSP (streaming) protocol. I've done some limited searching (can't do too much from work as almost any sites related to streaming media are blocked by my corporate proxy) and haven't found a solution, but perhaps someone else can find something (if not I'll do some more research @ home this evening).
  10. GreenTurtle

GreenTurtle New Member

Doesnt work for me either. I can get on the site but the dumb error. You are also limited to what they want you to see which is dumb. But that doesnt matter when you can't view anything anyways :tounge:
  11. Hitokiri

Hitokiri New Member

i prefer break.com getting a mobile option.

I'd rather watch a strip tease or 2 at work ;p
  12. GreenTurtle

GreenTurtle New Member

Word! :tounge:
  13. Colombia

Colombia New Member

so why doesn't it work considering it is still a 3gp file supported by the phone?
  14. abrigham

abrigham New Member

As I attempted to explain before (but maybe wasn't clear enough) it has to do with the protocol used to transfer the file to you. A normal web page uses the HTTP protocol to transfer web pages between the server and your computer (or Q, in this case). YouTube decided to set up their mobile edition to use the RTSP (real time streaming) protocol to send the videos. By default, the Q (and other Windows Mobile 5 based devices from what I understand) do not support RTSP with the built in Windows Media Player software, nor does the popular Core Project Media Player (TCPMP) support RTSP (at least not the open source version that most of us use anyway). While most newer non-Windows Mobile based devices have media players that support RTSP, some WM5 based device manufacturers (such as HTC who makes the T-Mobile Dash and a few others) decided to include their own media player which DOES support RTSP. Unfortunately, us Q owners were not so fortunate. I'm still trying to find a free media player that will support RTSP (not just for YouTube Mobile either... many video and TV sites are moving to this standard for streaming video to mobile devices).
  15. FourTwenSesh

FourTwenSesh Active Member

So would setting up an HTTP proxy to stream this stuff through be a viable solution?
  16. abrigham

abrigham New Member

I hadn't really thought about that, but it's quite possible that could work, yes. As long as the end result is the Q seeing it as an HTTP connection instead of an RTSP connection, theoretically it could work.
  17. asy714

asy714 New Member

I think you meant... http://m.youtube.com

I got an unknown error Alert after trying to play a video. It launched WMP and then *poof...error.

18. TeamPEZ

TeamPEZ New Member

I tried to get break.com to work, but to no avail. it says i need to download a file, but it doesn't mention which one. and then the m.youtube.com wouldn't work neither...

any other suggestions out there folks?

-TP
  19. crypto

crypto New Member

20. n99hockey