Device stopped connecting to the internet (3G)

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by method8, Jul 14, 2009.

1. method8

method8 New Member

Device stopped connecting to the internet (3G)

Hello Everyone,

All of a sudden my q9h stopped connecting to the internet.

I contacted my carrier and they checked my connection (that seems fine from their end) and then re-sent me the settings just in case. I reapplied the "new" settings, restarted a couple of times but to no avail. I therefore ruled out the issue is provider-related.

Do you think it is mobile related? Or maybe windows related? Did you ever get into a similar issue?

These are the error messages I'm getting

1. When synchronising for email

ERROR
    The remote party has ended this connection

2. When browsing

ERROR
    Please check your connection settings.

Help is much appreciated.

Thanks a bunch.

William.
  2. chestvrg

chestvrg New Member

What company do you have? at&t, t-mobile? It could be a network error after all and the cust. rep. perhaps needs to transfer you to a tier tech.
  3. tonez1

tonez1 New Member

try taking out the SIM card completely and putting it back in. That seemed to work for me when my phone was not connecting to the internet..and make sure that your connections in the internet browser are WAP network and that the "auto detect network" is not selected.
  4. sklinger

sklinger New Member

Did you install any recent software? I installed the Modaco Com4 GPS fix the other day and had the same problem.
  5. lhbalesjr

lhbalesjr New Member

Hi William,

I may be having the same problem. Are you ever able to connect? I have always had decent 3G coverage, but about two or three weeks ago, I started noticing that it would not always connect. It doesn't appear to be a signal issue, since I have four bars and the 3G icon is displayed. I tried this using IE, Opera and Opera Mini. Sometimes if I power off and then back on, I can get it to connect. Then it will stop connecting again. This happens even if the phone is in the exact same location as before. I did install the new ROM, but it seemed to be doing this even before the new ROM was installed. I have tried both a master clear and master reset, and it ends up the same. Did you find a solution?
  6. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

within Opera and PIE, try setting your connection to 'the internet' and un-check 'automatically detect settings'.
  7. lhbalesjr

lhbalesjr New Member

I wasn't able to connect at all when I changed connection setting to THE INTERNET. It looks like I have to have it set to WAP NETWORK and leave the box unchecked for AUTOMATICALLY DETECT SETTINGS.

This may not mean anything, but I took my SIM card out and installed it in my old Cingular 2125. It connected everytime, but it can only connect with EDGE. I don't have another phone to check the 3G connection. I'm not positive about this, but I can't remember having the Edge icon appear since I updated my ROM. It always shows 3G.
  8. compman72

compman72 New Member

I have been having the same problem too. My provider is AT&T.
    The problem first started 3 weeks ago when the email software worked some of the time. I have 2 accounts set up and both are affected and got the message - be sure that you have network coverage..............

On 7/24 I called ATT and got the level 2 tech support and they told me that there is a network issue on the email side of things. They were aware of the problems and they are trying to fix the issue.

On 8/1 the internet side using IE & Opera would work fine then get "Can not find proxy server" So I turn off the phone and restart and try again and be fine.
    On 8/2 the internet and email was dead all day except for a couple of times. I did call ATT and they resynchronized the to the network and all was fine.
    On 8/3 the problem is still there and intermittent. No luck ATT is not aware of any network issues.
  9. lhbalesjr

lhbalesjr New Member

Thank you for posting this. This is just what my phone has been doing, and I was starting to think that something was wrong with my phone. I hadn't installed much software, but started thinking that something I installed could be causing the problem. I did another master clear and before installing anything, or even syncing my contacts, I tried a speed test on www.dslreports.com. The first time I tried, I got the same error message that I had been getting, saying something like it couldn't find the site. I tried another site and got the same message. I turned the phone off and restarted and it started connecting again. Unfortunately it doesn't work consistantly. I called ATT again on Saturday and the customer service person mentioned a network problem, but she didn't think it would be a big enough problem to be causing the problems I was having. She told me to call back if I kept having problems and they would send me to tech support. I guess I'll do that tomorrow.

Did you install the new firmware on your phone?
    Also, do you have the black or silver q9 global? I don't think this would be an issue, but I'm just curious to see if this is happening on both versions. My phone is the black model.
  10. ProtoJMB

ProtoJMB Member

I have the silver Q9H, and I've been having problems viewing web pages for the past couple weeks now. I thought the firmware update might fix it, but no such luck.

My problems are spoty, but I have problems connecting to web pages in both Opera and IE. It will work one minute, and then complain about not having a connection the next. I have AT&T as well.
  11. compman72

compman72 New Member

I have the black Q9h. Yes the problem started about 2 weeks ago and is getting worse. I have done nothing to the phone as far as any software changes go other than the 6.1 upgrade but that was about a year ago. The issue is not a local problem. I was in Wilmington, NC, Columbia, SC and Augusta, GA and the problems are there too with my phone.

Yes they are intermittent and not consistent at all. :angry:
  12. lhbalesjr

lhbalesjr New Member

Not to restate the obvious, but this is what we know so far:

1) All of our connection troubles seemed to have started about 2-3 weeks ago (around mid July).

3) Problem occurs with both the black and silver Q9 Global

4) Problem occurs with both the old and the new firmware

5) Problem is not specific to one area of the country

6) Although the connection problem is not specific to one area of the country, there must be some connection to the location, since not everyone is having this problem.

7) It is unlikely to be a physical problem with the phone, due to the common issues we are all having and the time when the problems started.

8) The connection problem is not constant.

9) The problem is still present after a master clear and without any additional software being installed.

10) Problem continues to occur after removing the SIM card and leaving the battery out for about an hour.

Maybe we can get a list of the areas of the country where users are having this problem and ask ATT to see if there is something that changed in these areas.

I live in East TN

Thanks
  13. Horacio Granero

Horacio Granero New Member

Well then if it looks like a duck, sounds like a duck and acts like a duck......
    My guess is that this is intentional on part of the carriers, they want you to dump your current phone and buy a new one. They don't like it when you keep a phone for more than 2 years or that is out of production.
    WELL I'M KEEPING MY Q, YOU'LL HAVE TO PRY IT FROM MY COLD DEAD FINGERS!!!!!!!! KAHN!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Conspiracy Theory #478596 B.......
  14. compman72

compman72 New Member

I have had mine only 13 months.

AT&T has pulled the Motorola Q from their site this week.

It kind of makes me wonder what is going on.
  15. jacket88

jacket88 New Member

I started experiencing the same issue when visiting the Bay Area, and when I returned to Atlanta, the problems only got worse. I haven't contacted AT&T yet - that's next, but all of the info has been helpful - but I don't see the solution. Next step is for me to test my SIM card in a spare Moto Tundra to see if I have network issues there.
  16. compman72

compman72 New Member

First off I assume you are on AT&T correct?

I have a fix for the problem but it means turning off 3G completely.

1. go to My Documents and this opens the "FILE MANAGER"
    2. tap the "back arrow" 1 time
    3. scroll down to "WINDOWS" and select it
    4. scroll down to "bandselect.exe" and select it
    5. select 850/1900 (GSM)
    6. done
    7. and go back to the home screen

The 3G will be never be used at all with this setting.
  17. compman72

compman72 New Member

I am NW of Atlanta in Cobb/Cherokee counties. I spent 1 hour on the phone with AT&T today and yesterday and there is no fix but IF us Q owners let them know there is a problem maybe they can look into it further.
  18. jacket88

jacket88 New Member

I'm in Dunwoody - just got off the phone with both AT&T and Motorola (At&T kicked me to them) - both acted like it was a new problem until I made it clear that they had many unhappy users all experiencing the same problem and they need to start checking their own forums. Motorola encouraged me to move the SIM card to the Tundra to see if I replicated the same issue.

It seems more than coincidental that they pull the phone off of the market and these issues crop up. Disabling 3G is a non-starter with me. I got the Q9h because it was 3G having waited forever for the Blackberry Bold launch. It's bad enough that the 3G service in ATL can be spotty - my phone keeps changing from EDGE to 3G and back.

I wish I had a service option, but the spouse works for at&t and the service is discounted. However, I have to pay full freight for devices...

:angry:
  19. DariusX

DariusX New Member

I live in East TN also. I have the black version and I am having the same exact problems. I went to AT&T today (before I read this thread) and he told me that my phone was still under warranty and to call the warranty dept. I did and they are sending me a refurbished Q. Now that I read this thread, I realize that a different Q won't solve my problem.
    By the way, the guy at At&T gave me a new SIM card and it made no difference.
    This is flat out ridiculous.

BTW-I do have the new firmware installed.
  20. 1oddmanout

1oddmanout Member

Wow, same problems with my Sprint Q9c. June 29, internet stopped working. After numerous false starts, had to go into programming and reset some password that had been corrupted. Ok, but just happened again the 3rd. This time, no amount of fiddling-around could fix it, and a new one is coming from TEP (store might snap it out {did I forget to say "swap it out"?}for something else comparable).
    Same problem on different carriers? I haven't added any different programs than before, EXCEPT - - - Live search changed to Bing and GoogleMaps went to layers.
    Could one of these updates be corrupting WM Standard, or just Motorola phones?