Decision time

Discussion in 'Windows Phone 7' started by SwaggaXL, Mar 24, 2011.

1. SwaggaXL

SwaggaXL New Member

Hey guy's, I'm finally going to buy a windows phone, unlocked, but i'm not sure which I should go with. I'm stuck between the HTC HD7 and the Samsung Focus. I'm leaning toward the Focus. Also, if my phone is unlocked, how will the upaditing and purchasing of apps pan out for me.....
  2. DarthTedd

DarthTedd New Member

I'm in the same boat Swagga as a brand new AT&T customer. I walked into the store last Friday knowing I wanted the WP7 O/S, but nothing else. I was familiar with the HTC Surround but since I only listen to media using headphones, I knew the Surround wasn't really for me.

The biggest feature that caught my eye on the Focus was the screen - simply put it's amazing! The colors & clarity are outstanding. As for the rest of the features, I'm also very happy with the phone. The sound is excellent and it's a nice size. My only real beef is the build quality. It's thin & seems a bit on the flimsy side. Typically I'm hard on phones & I'm not real sure the 'plasticy' build quality of the Focus will last.

The HD7 was the first phone with WP7 that really caught my eye. Quite a few folks here at work have the HTC line and I like the 4.3" screen and the overall feel & build of the HTC line.

So with the recent announcement of the HD7S (@ AT&T) I'm about 95% sure I'm going to match the switch.

The other big issue for me is the memory size. With the combination of the O/S memory meld, as I call it, & the Focus SD cards issues, I honestly believe the 16GB HD7S would be a better fit.

The one final issue I have with the Focus is there is no Otter Box case available. I'm sure it'll come out some time but I'd rather have the protection now.

As for the updates, no clue. When you buy the phone even though it's unlocked wouldn't it still T-Mobile on the face of the phone? If so, I'm sure the branding would still be present.
  3. DavidCo

DavidCo New Member

The screen on the Focus is a lot better than the HD7. If you're talking the HD7s, that's a newer and better screen than the t-mobile HD7, and about as good as the Focus. Engadget has a comparison. http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/22/htc-hd7s-hands-on/
    As for unlocking, my AT&T branded Focus is unlocked and on t-mobile, there's no issue with buying/updating apps.
  4. SwaggaXL

SwaggaXL New Member

Sounds good. I wonder where I can get a HD7s unlocked? As of now though, you guys think the Focus is the way to go?
  5. DavidCo

DavidCo New Member

I hope you can get your hands on one of each to decide. I'm happy with the Focus (w/16gb Sandisk SD), but I have only looked at the HD7, not the HD7s.
  6. SwaggaXL

SwaggaXL New Member

I've been seeing some good reads on the HD7s so I might have 2 wait on it and find one unlocked, but I really want to get one like NOW lolol
  7. SwaggaXL

SwaggaXL New Member

I live in Canada but but go over to the U.S often and all AT&T told me about the HD7s was that "it was comming in a few weeks", and that was a like a couple days ago. Hopefully I can get it without a contract for like 400-500 and get it unlocked
  8. DarthTedd

DarthTedd New Member

Most definitely! I'm on AT&T ... now I'm just waiting 'til the "S" version is in their stores.
  9. SwaggaXL

SwaggaXL New Member

HD7s............................................ any day now?
  10. Aximtreo

Aximtreo Member

hmmm, is it kosher for us non AT&T people to tag onto someone with a family plan already so the cost isn't so prohibitive. I loved my Focus but $83 per month for a single user was nutts. Some comments please.