Data setting for GSM?

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9n' started by igedoc, May 4, 2009.

1. igedoc

igedoc New Member

Data setting for GSM?

I have not been able to activate my q9n on verizon. I have put in a call to tech support and we will see what happens. in the meantime, I put in my GSM sim card and I am having trouble with getting data on certain apps. skyfire, google map and weather app on the motorola home screen will not pull in data through wifi. I can use PIE fine. when I turn on the phone with sim card, I get login failure error. Anyone have any suggestions for me? I tried changing the network setting to global to gsm only. I don't see any other settings that I can play with in the settings/connections
  2. Q-Area51

Q-Area51 Guest

Your GSM SIM is with what carrier? :) -Q
  3. igedoc

igedoc New Member

Airvoice prepaid which uses AT&T
  4. Q-Area51

Q-Area51 Guest

You are sure that you have a data plan there, yes? :) -Q
  5. igedoc

igedoc New Member

no data plan. all through wifi.
  6. Q-Area51

Q-Area51 Guest

Well, that pretty much is the problem unless you have some sort of "pay-as-you-go" data plan with them. I sure hope VZW gets you up and running, man. Sorry I'm no help with your data concern. :) -Q
  7. igedoc

igedoc New Member

it's funny but it's working now. I just reinserted sim card and everything is working through wifi. thanks for your help. now onto figuring out this gps.......
  8. Q-Area51

Q-Area51 Guest

Cool beans!! Sta-range BUT good! GPS will work on its own bit the WiFi will enable Google Maps/MS Live Maps, etc. Have fun with it man. :) -Q
  9. Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd Active Member

Ummmm if I'm not mistaken hasn't it been reported that GPS does not work while having it in GSM mode tho. Don't quote me on that but I'm almost positive I saw that posted somewhere
  10. Q-Area51

Q-Area51 Guest

Might be having a "senior moment" - you might be right. I've never tried it in GSM mode though. Thanks for the "pinch" man !! :) -Q
  11. Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd Active Member

12. Q-Area51

Q-Area51 Guest

13. igedoc

igedoc New Member

I am still playing with the gps setting. I will have to see what MOTO MANIAC did for me before he sold me that phone. I did a hard reset after getting the phone and I don't know what he did will be erased by doing the hard reset. I have not done any QPST changes yet. I just got it 2 days ago and I am just getting to know the phone.
  14. Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd Active Member

Did you just do a hard reset or an actual Master Reset (ie * and E held down while powering on)? If you did a master reset then the GPS hack (ie unlock ) is gone and needs to be redone. However doing a hard reset should not affect the GPS stuff, but again GPS will not work if you are trying to use it in GSM mode tho.
  15. Q-Area51

Q-Area51 Guest

" and e on a Nap ? Not center D-pad hold and powerup? Is this a newly found alternative? Good info if it is, BUT it takes too many fingers. HA !! THX, man. :) -Q
  16. Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd Active Member

Personally can't say if it is the same or not as I've never done the D-pad thing and power up. I was told to do a Master Reset on the Nap you need to hold the * and E keys down and then power on which is the way I've done it on mine in the past. When you do you get a blue screen with some red lettering saying it is being reset. I just for get the actual wording it displays.

Curious tho do you recall what it says when you hold the d-pad key and pwer it up.
  17. Q-Area51

Q-Area51 Guest

Yeah, yeah . . . a prompt screen comes up asking if you want to Master Reset and you get an option for Yes/No. :) -Q
  18. igedoc

igedoc New Member

I did start/systems tools/master reset. isn't that what's called a hard reset also? I thought that master and hard reset were same.
  19. Q-Area51

Q-Area51 Guest

Yeah, yeah . . . same thing. Takes ya back to the "virgin" ROM on your Q. :) I guess some call removing the batteery one or the other (I've heard both} but in that case you are actually talking warm boot vs. cold boot as in a PC. :) -Q
  20. Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd Active Member

Well from what I was always told by a few of these gurus and even VZW CS Hard reset and Master reset are to different things. As for what I've been told a hard reset it yanking the battery while powered on and holding the power on key while doing so for about 15 seconds after the battery was removed.

A Mast reset is what you did threw the menu or by doing it the way Q & I are talking. And on that not doing it the way I mentioned I do not believe gave me the option of accepting it as yes or no it just does the Master Reset right off the bat if memory serves me.

Either way tho if you did the master reset threw the menus and your phone went back to all stock setting like when you got it then the GPS stuff is gone and all needs to be redone. Might I ask, after doing the reset you did is VZ Nav gone from the device? If so then you know for sure it was reset and the GPS stuff will not work until it gets redone again. Reaosn I say this is VZ Nav needs to be manually installed on the Napoleon after a flash or Master REset as it is not part of the flash file itself so it won't be on the dvice until you put it there after Master reset or a flash.