Data problems or just flash to 01.31

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9n' started by teddyearp, May 22, 2009.

1. teddyearp

teddyearp Member

Data problems or just flash to 01.31

Hello, I have a China Nap h/w 3.2 (no A or B or C following on the sticker) with the 01.24 f/w on it. I started talking about this in the Activating on Verizon thread, but thought I'd start a new one here to post my progress and questions. I am pretty sure that the end result will be to flash to 01.31, but here's where I am now. When I fire up my nap, it tries to connect to the network (i.e. the double arrows where the tower icon should be). If it is active on my line, then I get an error message that states, "Login Error. Make sure you have the correct login information and try again". Is it normal for the nap to try to establish a data connection when powering up? Much reading led me to try this here:

http://www.everythingq.com/forum/297740-post16.html

Unfortunately, that didn't work. In the field mentioned above, it had MobilePhoneNumber@vzw3g.com and I changed it to the actual digits @ vzw3g.com So, the way I figure it, doing a Master reset might fix it, but if I do that, I may as well flash the thing, but then either way I lose the GPS unlock and the other thing that bothers me about that is the results that MugenMadNess had in this thread as he started with the same f/w as me:

http://www.everythingq.com/forum/moto-q-9n/flashing-q9n-issues-31961-9.html#post322225

So, I guess I will have to go down the road that jhalsey205 was so kind to point out in a pm here:

http://www.everythingq.com/forum/moto-q-9n/data-call-problems-with-f-w-1-30-a-31956.html

In closing, if I have to flash it, will saving/restoring the Service Programming w/QPST preserve my phone # and PRL, etc., or will it have just enough info in there to corrupt my data in the new flash? I'm not afraid to flash a phone, but if anyone has any other solution, I'd like to try that first as I am worried about the results the other user had trying to flash from my same f/w.

Thanks in advance. I know this was a long one, but those of you here that know me from the dumbphone stuff know that about me.
  2. jhalsey205

jhalsey205 Member

I have not culled through the activation thread in a while, so I am not familiar with any flash-ing issues with china naps, but i have flashed 3 china naps to 1.31 firmware without issue. In all cases i performed the re-flash'es on a vista pc with the moto usb driver installed, using RSD lite 4.2.

The "Call Interruption" thread may provide additional insight. I suspect the 1.31 monster is still floating around on the web, but if you have any problems finding, PM me and I can get it to you.
  3. teddyearp

teddyearp Member

Thank you very much. The issue with flashing was in this thread where someone who had the same f/w as I have on mine now ended up with the barker error i.e. a brick. Otherwise I have everything I need to flash it, was just worried about flashing from my 01.24 f/w and seeing if anyone had any other suggestions, i.e. master reset, or registry edits.

thanks again
  4. teddyearp

teddyearp Member

Well, I solved my own problem. I flashed to 01.31, wrote the .prl and manually entered my # with QPST. That didn't quite make it, so I dialed *228, 1. that didn't quite do it, so I did option three to my V9m, then right away did option 3 to my nap and was golden.

go figure and thx