Data Plan Requirement?

Discussion in 'Verizon Wireless' started by landscapeman, Dec 20, 2008.

1. landscapeman

landscapeman New Member

Data Plan Requirement?

I have a older Moto Q and I was going to activate it on another line. I know that you could block data charges but are you still able to do this? I have spoken to a verizon store rep and they have said anything released on or after 11/14 requires the 29.99 data plan. I already have a blackberry and have no need to have two phones with data. Can I activate this phone and not have to have this plan? Along with this if I buy a q9c of ebay will I be able to skirt the plan also? Thanks.
  2. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

i think it is still possible

members still have been able to do this and well the Q was not released after 11/14
    should still be possible
  3. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

I think it was any activation after 11/14 reqired a data plan...so dataplan you will need
  4. landscapeman

landscapeman New Member

Thanks I guess I will find out if I need the data plan or not.
  5. bomix

bomix New Member

I just got my Q9c on Dec 3rd, this year, (08) and choose the pay per kb plan. I have no plans for data so this is the only choice for me. I have already blocked Web, VZ Downloads, and such. I activated my phone online through VZ online account. I was given three choices when I first activated my Q,
    Pay per kb,
    Another choice (5GB i think) for $XX.XX,
    and Unlimited data usage for $29.00

Not sure if anything has changed with Verizon since then, I would just try to activate it through your My Verizon Online Account. And see what choices it gives you for a data plan.
  6. landscapeman

landscapeman New Member

I activated the Q this morning with no data plan requirement. It is only for the newly released smartphones.
  7. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

huh...well glad it worked out :)
  8. quint

quint New Member

Yeah, I just tried to drop the data plan from my Q and was told that it was not possible. It's ridiculous because that was definitely what the rep told me I could do when I bought this phone. It seems like they've altered the plan requirements without particularly notifying me.

So basically I'm stuck with a $100/month plan where I don't use the data feature at all anymore. I got layed off and I sit in front of the internet all day now, so paying an extra $50 for phone internet access that I don't use is not particularly enticing to me.

I'm going to look into this other company that is a lot more user friendly, Credo Mobile. My gf uses them and they'll even pay your $200 cancellation fee if you switch to them. They also let you customize how many minutes you want and don't pigeonhole you into some shitty plan that you dont need.