Custom icons for WM6.1 folders

Discussion in 'Moto Q Hacks' started by bananapants, Oct 29, 2008.

1. bananapants

bananapants New Member

Custom icons for WM6.1 folders

So I was doing the hack/mod where you can change the folder icon in the start menu. I read in an old thread that the .icl library had to have 48x48, 32x32, and 16x16 icons in 256.

My library conforms to that, however, my icons look compressed pixelated on my Moto Q9c, but they look great on my computer in those dimensions and color levels.

What am I doing wrong with these icons? Do they need to be "Windows XP" quality instead of "256," or do they need to be different dimensions, like 24x24?
  2. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

What program did you use to make your icl and what color depth did you use?
  3. bananapants

bananapants New Member

I used a program called ABB Icon Manager Library 5.1

The color depth of the icons in my icl is "256 Color" because that is what an older post from here said to do.

I save my icl, then drop it into the Windows folder on my Q9c. Then with notepad I make a text file with "1#x.icl,-y" as the string written in it, where x= the name of the icl file, and y=the number of the icon I am trying to pull out of the library.

Although come to think of it, did I miss something with the number on the front of the string? I pulled that info off of the board here somewhere, but it didn't mention what the first number was for. Do I just need to change that 1 to 2 or 3 to get the proper size icon out of the three possible sizes on it?
  4. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

1. I recommend you use Microangelo but to each their own
    2. The color depth on 6.1 is 32b (check this -> WM 6.1 Res)
    3. Make sure you get all the "syntax" correct

this should help fix the problem but if not let us know and we'll see if we can fish you out another solution. good luck.
  5. Geekster

Geekster New Member

Hi Guardian
    Miss seeing you around.
    Good to see you....
    *back on topic*
  6. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

Mr

I was not gone, just busy and reading the stuff but not posting as much. Its good to know I was missed :) I miss the days of heated debates and postings but heck life throws some major curve balls.
  7. Geekster

Geekster New Member

Honey!!! You need to go to the Off Topic section more often!! HAHAHA!!!
    I know about life throwing those blasted curves... but why do some of them have to be down hill the whole way with no brakes?
    Take it easy...
    Have a good week end...
  8. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

no kidding. I hear ya and I will try.

by the way, I am:

95.9% Funky
    96.9% Sexy
    97.9% Loving
    98.9% Talented
    and 99.9% Sweet

guess although you are better than me, don't want to lose me either ;)
  9. bananapants

bananapants New Member

Back on topic, according to wikipedia:

I don't get why it matters what I use to build my icl's if it isn't creating my problem.

If this 32 bit you speak of is a misnomer and is actually 24 bit, then that is what my initial description of 256 was equivalent to.

As far as all the syntax being correct, is what I posted correct or not for folders on WM6.1?
  10. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

With all due respect to Wikipedia, it is not a misnomer, it does exists and it does matter. You can use whatever application you want but images are not created equal by all applications and depends on which GDI or image processing they use to create the file which make every difference on the quality of the image and how it is seen.

That being said, if the image is not the issue and the syntax is correct, then I don't know what to tell you about it. Maybe someone else can help you but as developer for 15 years and having dealt with images, I can tell you first hand that it makes EVERY difference in the world what you use, how it is encoded and what format is expected by the target application. Good luck.